quiet please

dubdub

T6 Pro
and after two day hard work i got my van sound proofed, insulated and new side ply panels made and covered. I got it all done just in time for my first road trip, a weeks cycling in NW Scotland. The drive up was bliss with almost all of the noise reduced to zero depending on the road surface. Well worth all the work :)

WP_20170530_09_59_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20170530_10_00_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20170531_09_46_21_Pro.jpg

No i didnt do the cab i didnt fancy taking the door cards off with speakers and window motors etc in there!
For the headlining i just took the factory panels off so i could sound proof the metalwork then covered the stock panels with that vinyl. I wanted something a bit different and the Artic camo suited the colour of the interior well, the side panels i covered with a 4k carbon wrap which looks fab! I think all the coverings came to about £100, enough sound proofing was about £150 and insulation about £50.
I've done the wheel arches too but i did the other side (underside?) so you cant see it :thumbsup:

It was Silent Coat from The Sound Deadening Shop online, i used the thin 2mm one i and for my swb i used two 'Bulk' packs which was enough to do everything (wheel arches done on underside) and i had about 4 or 5 sheets left. Very simple to fit and it sticks like you know what to a blanket!
The camo and carbon vinyl came from ebay :thumbsup: also used it on the tail gate as the carbon is very dark.

WP_20170603_07_10_49_Pro.jpg

Nice work @dubdub!

Quick question...I see a road bile! I'm planning on doing a partial conversion for exactly the same reason, to go on bike tours etc. How do you mount/secure your bike in the back? Just looking for options!

Cheers

Thanks Ed, it was a bit nerve racking but the vinyl goes on quite easy and has tiny air holes in it to avoid bubbles :thumbsup:

Nice work @dubdub!

Quick question...I see a road bile! I'm planning on doing a partial conversion for exactly the same reason, to go on bike tours etc. How do you mount/secure your bike in the back? Just looking for options!

Cheers
Im a cabinetmaker so it was quite easy to knock this idea up, its a sheet of 12mm ply with two wooden blocks same width as the inside of the forks, a hole drilled through to take the axle or quick release from the bike, then just clamp the forks to the block, it worked a bloody treat and kept the bikes safe and took up far less room than trying to lay them down :thumbsup:

WP_20170531_09_45_48_Pro.jpg

Nice one! Does just the job! I'm going to 'try' and make it work with the wheels on but we'll see how that works out once I start kitting out the back!

Be interesting to see that, not sure how it will work with the wheels still on? How many bikes? I think you can buy the things bike shops use to display bikes, the fully assemble bike just pushes into a floor mounted wheel trap. That might work but not sure how stable they will be once you start driving around? The system I used was rock solid :thumbsup:

Well I'm really not sure at the moment yet. I guess it all depends on how much of a conversion I decide to do. To be fair, initially i'm probably not going to do too much, other than insulating, lining, leisure battery, captains chairs, some audio/visual upgrade and lighting. I think I'll be quite happy with just an air bed and the bike strapped to the side wall somehow. Eventually I'll probably look at other methods but I don't want to do anything too 'permanent' to the van at this stage. At the moment it's just me and one road bike....but hopefully that will change eventually and then my requirements will change.

I do like your method though, thats how I used to fix it me bike to the roof of the car, very stable indeed. Will possible end up going down that route. I've only had the van for 4 days and my head hurts with all the ideas and thoughts of what to do and how to do it! Haha :confused:

Hi, sorry for slow reply....the vinyl came 1.5m wide in the camo and i think 1.2 in the carbon so no joins :thumbsup: I do have to report though that the ceiling vinyl has developed some large bubbles, these do flatten back down no problem and my be caused with the heat inside the van on a hot day? but still looks good :)

Another superb looking piece of work done on a van, It never ceases to amaze me how much effort people put into customizing their T6 to suit their needs and the effort they take in the detail. Love it

Back