Questions to ask conversion company ?

Amymax18

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, I currently have a SWB T5.1 that is soon to be replaced with a LWB T6! The SWB has a somewhat DIY conversion in it and my plan is to send the LWB to a conversion company.

I'm currently trying to find a conversion company in Scotland to fit - diesel heater, pop top with solar, electrics (12v and 240v EHU) and flooring. I've been through quite a few of the various companies and received quotes that I have been trying to compare (there is about a £1.5k difference between cheapest and most expensive). Once converted, my plan is to then install a single bed and kitchen pod - probably from van furniture.

I was wondering, what questions do you wish you'd asked your converter up front ? I'm finding that the main thing I have to be aware of when comparing quotes is the nitty gritty detail on electrics (I want to furture proof for E bike charging via inverter), but is there anything that is key that I might be missing ? On my hit list so far has been;

- Timescales for completion
- ensuring everything I want is included with pop top
- 12v electrics - locations of sockets, and EHU connection
- specs of battery and solar
- location of heater (I need it located under van to accomodate the electrics under drivers seat)

I feel like I might need to start asking questions about previous jobs, how many vans have they completed etc ?

Any help much appreciated!

These come to mind:
- how do you insulate the panels? Eg. Sound deadening, foam, fleece.
- will you be insulting the floor?
- where will you locate the battery and gas locker?
- pick your bed and pop top carefully,
- run the wires for reversing camera and maybe towbar before conversion,
- are you getting rear speakers? Many fitters just splice into the front speakers. Check that they’ll wire them properly into the head unit (and will they code it?)
- ask about their quality control process. And their handover process. Will you receive an itemised list of their checks? And if not, will they spend time going through everything with you?
- where will they locate fresh water, grey water, diesel heater?
- I’d look at having a shunt and battery monitor installed from the start.

Just some late night thoughts, based on my own experience/issues with my installer.

I’d be asking for recommendations for converters firstly, and I’d be prepared to travel as quality builders probably have waiting lists.

These come to mind:
- how do you insulate the panels? Eg. Sound deadening, foam, fleece.
- will you be insulting the floor?
- where will you locate the battery and gas locker?
- pick your bed and pop top carefully,
- run the wires for reversing camera and maybe towbar before conversion,
- are you getting rear speakers? Many fitters just splice into the front speakers. Check that they’ll wire them properly into the head unit (and will they code it?)
- ask about their quality control process. And their handover process. Will you receive an itemised list of their checks? And if not, will they spend time going through everything with you?
- where will they locate fresh water, grey water, diesel heater?
- I’d look at having a shunt and battery monitor installed from the start.

Just some late night thoughts, based on my own experience/issues with my installer.

Thanks for the thoughts! Pop top wise, i'm between westdubs and the skyline aurora, now skyline have an offer on the scenic canvas, the prices I'm getting are negligible between the two. I'm doing as much reading as I can.

The company will only do the floor, heater, pop top and electrics, so no kitchen units for them to use for the electrics, so i've been quizzing on locations for electrics.

I’d be asking for recommendations for converters firstly, and I’d be prepared to travel as quality builders probably have waiting lists.

Thanks Oldrat, i've contacted about 15 companies in Scotland, had a firm quote from about 7 and have visited 5 of these. The prices do vary but i'm finidng it hard to find reviews on some - the majority of the market seems to be down south. I'm on a tighter time scale due to work, but all the same I don't want to go with who can do the job and risk getting a poorer job!

I’d recommend checking out the Skylow. I have an Aurora, and I’d love for it to be lower profile.

I don’t know enough about the Skylow to recommend it, though.
I love the look of the skylow but unfortunately the LWB version doesn't seem to be available yet!

I love the look of the skylow but unfortunately the LWB version doesn't seem to be available yet!
Oh, right! Didn’t spot that.

I’m still wondering how they can make a roof with the same features and interior headroom but several centimetres lower… the components have to go somewhere.

Oh, right! Didn’t spot that.

I’m still wondering how they can make a roof with the same features and interior headroom but several centimetres lower… the components have to go somewhere.
Witchcraft!

Back