Question about sleeping bags

jen13579

Hi all,

We get our van next weekend, very exciting!

For info, it's a T6.1 2020 van with a diesel heater. We're going away first time the end of May then hope to use it every couple of weeks until the end of summer.

What season sleeping bags should we get? My daughter will be in the pop top and we will be downstairs in the rock and roll bed. Not sure how cold it will get at night in the van?

Thanks

I have a T6 Shuttle with no additional insulation. I leave my windows open an inch with Climair wind deflectors to prevent rain ingress, whilst allowing ventilation.
I have a synthetic 13.5 tog double duvet with an Ikea 4" foam mattress. I added a synthetic Superbounce mattress topper to make the mattress feel softer.
I do have a diesel heater but only ever switch it in to heat the cabin when I get out of bed to dress etc.
I have never been cold in the van even when the temperature was below zero but I tend to be a warm (arms out) sleeper.
IMG20230507180440.jpg
IMG_20230507_181123.jpg

Sorry, no-one else can tell you what sleeping bag you need because no-one else knows exactly how you sleep - do you run hot or cold, do you move around in the night and therefore need a bigger bag, or do you imitate dead and can therefore use a 'coffin' shaped one. And if you are over a certain age getting out of a sleeping bag to pee in the night is not funny and likely to result in everyone in the van being awake.

And talking of being awake - diesel heaters ARE NOT QUIET. (Yes, that's me shouting!)
You will not only disturb everyone in your own van, but rapidly become fairly unpopular with anyone pitched next to you, and probably their neighbours as well. :mad:

Oh, and if your diesel heater is the 'usual' Eberspacher that is fitted in most vans they are extremely efficient and your van might be so warm that you might will not need a sleeping bag, or even clothes :eek:

Hot water bottles and soft, comfy sleep socks are your friend, and if you're worried about being chilly, wear a hat - that's where you will lose most of your heat from.

For your first trip just go somewhere local for a couple of nights and take the duvet, a fleece blanket or two to chuck over the top and enjoy yourselves. If you get cold you will know you need more next time.

Oh, and don't forget to relax and enjoy yourself - that's why we do this.

I agree with above comments. ditch the sleeping bag and use a double duvet plus heavy blanket if it’s really cold. Plenty warm enough, even in the snow. Only needed to put the diesel heater on in the morning to get dressed.

IMG_6839.jpeg

Unless you have a heater the pop top space will be the same temperature as the outside.
Depending on your other outdoor plans, maybe proper camping / walking you might want to consider the best sleeping bag you can afford. There is nothing like a crap sleeping bag to put people of sleeping away from the house.

Unless you have a heater the pop top space will be the same temperature as the outside.
Depending on your other outdoor plans, maybe proper camping / walking you might want to consider the best sleeping bag you can afford. There is nothing like a crap sleeping bag to put people of sleeping away from the house.
Agreed! I used to be a Cub Leader and some of the old sleeping bags the cubs would turn up with, and 'yoga matts' as ground insulation was pitiful. The cubs would be freezing, sleeping in their clothes just to have any sort of comfort!
As we used to say, "Any fool can be uncomfortable"
Take extra blankets and duvets and see how you feel sleeping out.

If you do go down the sleeping bag route I'd strongly suggest getting one with a hood and I've found a bigger bag is more comfortable. I hate the mummy bags so I've got the regular shape which you can unzip and use just as a cover if it does get too warm. A season 2 should be fine in the van for the summer months.

Try farting in the sleeping bag - if you can bear it, it’s good to go! Or, fart in the double duvet -if she can bear it, it’s also good to go! Don’t worry about the daughter upstairs - she can handle herself!!!

I wouldn’t recommend buying any bags yet until you have got a feel for how it works out for you all. Temperature is very personal, will be dependent on the outside temperature and as mentioned using the diesel heater late at night is pretty antisocial. I’d say use your duvets from home to start with and have a couple of cheap fleece blankets in case you are cold. You may well find that works perfectly for you. Despite having a very nice sleeping bag I find duvets more flexible in the van. Can stick a leg out if too hot and much easier to get in and out of. Enjoy the new van.

Back