First Time Buyer Advice

lunno

Hi,

I am going to look at a 2018 T6, details below. I think it seems well priced at £32k but I am concerned that it only has part service history but did recently have a cambelt and water pump replaced. Is the part-service history something I should be worried about? Is there anything I should be looking out for when I go to look at the van.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Van details-
Highline model
82000 miles
Manual
Timing belt and water pump replaced recently
Air con
Cruise Control
Parking sensors
All highline spec
•Pop top roof with scenic canvas
Poptop bed
•Full smart Split charge system and 240 hookup
•M1 tested rock and roll bed
•Rusty Lee passenger swivel base
•Black out curtains
•diesel night heater
•smev hob/sink
•12v/240 fridge

Can you verify milage with mot checks?
Private seller or garage?
General wear and tear on steering wheel and gear knob ?
If I was to spend that sort of money I personally would want decent history
Best of luck

Can you verify milage with mot checks?
Private seller or garage?
General wear and tear on steering wheel and gear knob ?
If I was to spend that sort of money I personally would want decent history
Best of luck
Thanks for the advice Chippie.

Mileage looks about right from the MOT checks ; 2021=45K; 2022=61k; 2023=77k. It is from a private seller. Will be sure to check those wears and tears when I look at the van.

Thanks again

Is it one owner or more? Service history is now online so maybe able to investigate further I was able to go into vw years ago on a caddy I had with limited history and they pulled up the history for me

Is it one owner or more? Service history is now online so maybe able to investigate further I was able to go into vw years ago on a caddy I had with limited history and they pulled up the history for me
I am not sure but will ask when I go and look at the van, and I can't seem to find that information online about number of owners. If I like the van when I go and see it I will try and some similar digging on VW.
Again thanks for the help with this

For peace of mind i'd get the cam belt and water pump done anyway when/if you buy it.At least you know they are definately done.That's what i did with mine.If you like the van go for it! And do a HP check.....nearly got my fingers burnt!

Last edited:
I am not sure but will ask when I go and look at the van, and I can't seem to find that information online about number of owners. If I like the van when I go and see it I will try and some similar digging on VW.
Again thanks for the help with this
The V5 should tell you the number of owners & how long the current owner has had the vehicle. Previously I've contacted a main dealer with the reg or VIN number, sort of making out that I might be sending some business their way by asking about any recalls due and what service/ maintenance they would advise based on age/ mileage.

For peace of mind i'd get the cam belt and water pump done anyway when/if you buy it.At least you know they are definately done.That's what i did with mine.If you like the van go for it! And do a HP check.....nearly got my fingers burnt!
Thanks for the advice Paul.

The V5 should tell you the number of owners & how long the current owner has had the vehicle. Previously I've contacted a main dealer with the reg or VIN number, sort of making out that I might be sending some business their way by asking about any recalls due and what service/ maintenance they would advise based on age/ mileage.
Thanks Dave, if I am still keen after seeing it I might give a few places a ring round and see what how many services it has actually missed.

Has the seller listed what services it does have at all?
Hi John,

The seller said it had been serviced at a local garage by the previous owner, but had no evidence. Then it got a full service at 70k miles and cam belt changed.

Thanks

Hi John,

The seller said it had been serviced at a local garage by the previous owner, but had no evidence. Then it got a full service at 70k miles and cam belt changed.

Thanks
Seems a bit iffy. You could ask at the local garage if you know who they are.

A lack of history isn't the end of the world as it possibly has been done but it would need to be priced to reflect the lack of evidence of its history.

its a question i have been meaning to ask. I have tried vW online for a service history on mine and it says the service is no longer available in the UK. Do you have to go to a local dealer to pull it off the system or have i been looking in the wrong place

I went to main dealer I’m sure if you rang and gave them details of van they might help

Back