Putting dog to stud, whats the protocol?

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So we may be putting our dog to stud but unsure what the protocol is? Quick Google seems to suggest we would either get first pick of the pups or the equivalent cost of one pup? Anyone done this recently who could advise?

Thank you.

This is just an opinion, please dont take offence. Our family business is a Boarding Kennels and we foster for several well-established rescues, UK and Europe, even taking Battersea dogs that they cant deal with. Every day we see the other side of casual breeding and since lockdown its been worse than ever. Until all the dogs in rescue have been re-homed, we wish people would just stop :)

This is just an opinion, please dont take offence. Our family business is a Boarding Kennels and we foster for several well-established rescues, UK and Europe, even taking Battersea dogs that they cant deal with. Every day we see the other side of casual breeding and since lockdown its been worse than ever. Until all the dogs in rescue have been re-homed, we wish people would just stop :)
I can't believe the price of puppies the same breeder we purchased our JRT from albeit 15 years ago £250 2 years ago £650 now £2000 we have always bought puppies but next time it's defiantly a rescue dog/pup and our neighbour's have just bought a French bulldog pup £5500 WTF

I know its mad. Just for clarification the other party want the pups for themselves (working dogs).

I can't believe the price of puppies the same breeder we purchased our JRT from albeit 15 years ago £250 2 years ago £650 now £2000 we have always bought puppies but next time it's defiantly a rescue dog/pup and our neighbour's have just bought a French bulldog pup £5500 WTF
I sometimes think if the dog was free or for £20 the dog would remain unwanted. How do you know your neighbours dog cost £5500....because they told you.
There are people near me who stated recently that they bought two gun dogs to go with the Range Rover just to ‘keep up with the Jones’.
Both working long hours and the dogs locked in the house all day, dog lovers my arse!

I sometimes think if the dog was free or for £20 the dog would remain unwanted. How do you know your neighbours dog cost £5500....because they told you.
There are people near me who stated recently that they bought two gun dogs to go with the Range Rover just to ‘keep up with the Jones’.
Both working long hours and the dogs locked in the house all day, dog lovers my arse!
They are NOT dog lovers! Not even close

Well here is my bit. as I understand it as my mate is a serial breeder. Gone are the days of taking a pup. You now pay for the stud in the ball park of £450/£600 quid. your dog is happy for obvious reasons. And you just made the easiest monies ever.
hope that helps.

Guys can we please try keep this on topic.

Thanks.
That’s what happens a convo in the pub….it can ebb and flow!

There is no hard and fast rule to this but these are some considerations:
  1. What is your dog worth (and therefore, what value does his semen have?)
  2. What is the bitch worth? (If you put your dog to the bitch, are you devaluing your dog’s semen?)
  3. Is the aim to introduce or remove/reduce a trait (colour, markings, temperament, gait, stance etc) If so, do they want AI with screening?
  4. Are you charging for each introduction, successful conception, going full term or producing puppies?
  5. Who is carrying the risk of “bad” pups being produced?
Remember, it’s not your dog they want, but his semen! Rule of thumb is “cost of a pup per successful presentation” - is the fruit of his loins worth more or worth less than that of another dog of the same breed?

If none of the above applies and you have no aspirations to be a breeder, you could always just let your dog have a shag and let them stand you a pint in the pub (so long as they don’t bang on about breeding all night, eh?!!)

My experience, we put our cocker spaniel out to stud with a friend's cocker spaniel. Dropped him off three times, let them do the deed and then collect him again (couldn't stay to watch...) We then picked out the puppy we wanted and they sold the rest (all pups were sold locally and I see them occasionally). Very simple, all on a verbal agreement but I think I'd want something in writing if they weren't friends. This was 3 years ago and of course prices have gone silly now. One very important piece of advice I would give is, if you choose a bitch puppy and you've still got the stud dog (dad and daughter) their family connection will make no difference when she comes into season.IMG_20190211_114803.jpg

My experience, we put our cocker spaniel out to stud with a friend's cocker spaniel. Dropped him off three times, let them do the deed and then collect him again (couldn't stay to watch...) We then picked out the puppy we wanted and they sold the rest (all pups were sold locally and I see them occasionally). Very simple, all on a verbal agreement but I think I'd want something in writing if they weren't friends. This was 3 years ago and of course prices have gone silly now. One very important piece of advice I would give is, if you choose a bitch puppy and you've still got the stud dog (dad and daughter) their family connection will make no difference when she comes into season.View attachment 120177
Thank you. We're pretty much in the same situation as yourself. Any regrets/issues taking on the second dog?

From what I understand, you shouldn't really stud a dog just once, as they go a bit whappy once they have a taste for it; so to speak.

Imagine yourself having sex once but then never again - it would send a anyone loopy haha.

My experience, we put our cocker spaniel out to stud with a friend's cocker spaniel. Dropped him off three times, let them do the deed and then collect him again (couldn't stay to watch...) We then picked out the puppy we wanted and they sold the rest (all pups were sold locally and I see them occasionally). Very simple, all on a verbal agreement but I think I'd want something in writing if they weren't friends. This was 3 years ago and of course prices have gone silly now. One very important piece of advice I would give is, if you choose a bitch puppy and you've still got the stud dog (dad and daughter) their family connection will make no difference when she comes into season.View attachment 120177
if your filling in pedigree papers it would not look too good having the daughter bred into her dad and inter breeding causes health issues and doesn't clear any old issues like dodgy hip displacement that might be hiding it just passes the same onto the pups...
check living conditions before letting it happen... some breeders need putting to sleep only doing it for the money and the pups leave sick .. make sure you get pic of the litter and on collection should be already wormed jabbed for Parvo Virus and chipped .

Back