Premature cam-belt failure

Hi there anybody help me I have a 2019 transporter 102 was driving along at 40 mph then all of a sudden everything cut out no bang nothing van coasted on to side van was bought from reputable dealer from 6000 miles was there courtesy van from new van has now done 55000 had it serviced by them since we have had it just out of 3 year warranty took back to the dealer 6th dec cut a long story short camelt snapped can't find reason why belt broke not due to be replaced dealer said engine needs replacing as valves have hit pistons now have a bill for hire car and new engine stand at around £10000 at moment no help with cost from dealer awaiting response today from vw customer services happy days anybody else had same response from dealers many thanks
Well you’re definitely well inside the mileage guidance, and sounds like you may just be inside the 4yrs too. On that basis, I’d definitely be putting up a strong argument that VW needs to front all or some of the costs.

Had a very similar issue a few years back with a Vauxhall…albeit mine failed in France, which caused a real headache getting it back! Their initial response was “not our problem”. After a lot of pressure from me, via dealer, then regional manager and finally raising it with their HQ team and not accepting no, they eventually repaired it without cost to me.

Not easy, but the bottom line is that it shouldn’t have failed, you’re well inside VW guidance, and they need to take some responsibility for that. Got to be worth a fight when the alternative is a bill like that…when of course it won’t cost VW anything like that!

My van is 2 months short of 4 years old so due a belt change in March, it's also a 102 2019 model with 38k miles so watching this with interest.

As @Dellmassive says in post #20
It would appear the pump is a poor design, well worth considering installing the non shrouded pump type.

Looks like this type of pump has reliability issues. If my MY16 Euro 5, 180ps has one fitted I’ll be looking to replace it with a non shrouded pump when it’s time.
I also found this regarding VW pump failures in the USA and lack of water pump maintenance schedule in VW documentation / manuals.

So we're all upgrading to this Febi pump now then (I will be) :think smile bounce:
I had mine done at VW as I'm still in warranty.

Not sure if they have upgraded the part yet?

That vid was two years old.

VW part number shown here...

Hi there sorry to keep you all waiting but I am still waiting on a decision from dealer and vw customer services but will keep you posted on outcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back