Premature cam-belt failure

StuH

So my 67 plate 93k T6 has had premature cambelt failure currently waiting on results of engine damage however VW have offered to pay 100% of parts and 50% of Labour, the cambelt was not due to be changed till October and it has been main dealer serviced from day 1 so do I push for more or is the 50% the best I’ll get ?

anyone else suffered premature cambelt fail ?

What is the laid down mileage I know the Uk is 4 years not sure on the mileage though I would say it’s a good offer if you have no warranty and they are doing good will

@Niknak - any views?

As a matter of interest, how many miles did you do since last service and when was it?

I’m just wondering if everyone that bangs the drum for letting their belts go past the service requirements are having a bit of a nervous twitch, I feel you you that this has failed but feel your getting a fair deal from vw to be honest

I’m just wondering if everyone that bangs the drum for letting their belts go past the service requirements are having a bit of a nervous twitch, I feel you you that this has failed but feel your getting a fair deal from vw to be honest
Thanks @Niknak - thought you could shed some light on this

What is the laid down mileage I know the Uk is 4 years not sure on the mileage though I would say it’s a good offer if you have no warranty and they are doing good will
When I enquired about service interval VW said 4 years or 120k miles

The absolute best you can hope for out of warranty is an split of 70/30 split (with brand support for the dealer) so I would say that’s a pretty good offer and I would bite their hand off

I’d agree. Seems like a decent deal if you’re out of warranty. Grab it!

I've never seen anybody suggest letting their van go into that sort of mileage territory before getting the cambelt changed.

I have a 66 Caravelle bought new from the main dealer and serviced by the main dealer. Last month it was booked for a service but broke down 4 days prior as the timing belt frayed jumping 4 teeth. Long story short I got my mechanic to replace the belt and water pump with genuine parts,van wouldn’t start so had to get low loader to the main dealer. £780 for them to take the head off then called metro say £9600 for a new engine Sir!!!
low loader back to my house my mechanic checked pistons fine head fine but replaced all the valves (genuine parts)Just incase.
damned thing now only starts with easi start so back to the drawing board! Spoken toVW UK complaints department stating it was a GATES belt which was subject too a recall which I was never told. They then informed me that the last service was Beadles Southend not the Chelmsford branch where I bought it from which is a van centre.
So they said it was all my fault and they can’t do a thing about it!!!!
We have bought 4 New beetles in the last 12 years and we have a 1959 beetle a 1959 Splitscreen and a 1972 beetle and a 2018 Amaroc
Anyone know if Ford do decent vehicles at the moment ?as I have lost all faith in VW UK
PS Sorry for the rant !

So my 67 plate 93k T6 has had premature cambelt failure currently waiting on results of engine damage however VW have offered to pay 100% of parts and 50% of Labour, the cambelt was not due to be changed till October and it has been main dealer serviced from day 1 so do I push for more or is the 50% the best I’ll get ?

anyone else suffered premature cambelt fail ?
I have had the Cambelt gone on my 2018 Tiguan at 44k only 2 weeks after fully serviced and DSG oil changed by VW Dealer Johnsons in Stoke on Trent.
The dealer said they would need to investigate at £120 ph, not knowing how many hours it will take them to find the fault plus I was to pay for repairs on top. I wasn´t in a position to sign a blank cheque, so took the car to KWIKFIT and was told straightaway that the Cambelt has shredded prematurely causing engine to jump teeth! I was advised by KWIKFIT to speak to VW dealer as this shouldnt have happened with age and mileage on the car. I called VW dealer who said "get the car back to us asap". I did, I was told they will speak to VW and authorise a goodwill.

They later came back and said VW had refused their application!
I then had an email from VW UK said it was the dealers decision and if they ask for a goodwill, VW UK will fully support them. When I pust this to their service manager if he had ever asked VW for one, he said yes he had, on three occasions.

When I told him that VW UK has sent me an email saying that it was the dealers decision whether to offer a goodwill.
I then asked the service manager if he had ever applied for a goodwill towards the repairs from VW, he replied NO!

I just thought well! if the service manager is willing to so blatanly lie to my face, how then I could trust the same with his diagnostics!

I am seriously considering legal action against both the dealer and VW UK.
Has anyone else had similar issues wnad what was the outcome?
thanks

Not entirely related, but I went to Johnsons wanting to purchase a new car (which I was paying cash for) admittedly I was a bit of a scuff in work clothes and they had the "yeah right you can afford a new car" attitude.

So off I went to VW Wolverhampton... and I can literally walk to Johnsons in less than 5mins shocking customer service.

Not surprised at all, I went to collect my car today in order to have it repaired at KWIKFIT, vw Johnsons customer service, awful!
Not only Johnson, will never buy VW car again ever

Not surprised at all, I went to collect my car today in order to have it repaired at KWIKFIT, vw Johnsons customer service, awful!
Not only Johnson, will never buy VW car again ever
Are you advertising for KWIKFART by any chance?

Are you advertising for KWIKFART by any chance?
Absolutely not, why would I, they still have my car unrepaired as they supposed to start up working on it on Monday coming
Because they were first to see the Cambelt in the state it was in and also taken photographs of it and I may well pursue the case further with VW & Johnsons VW, I had to take it to them so that the car doesnt change hand, after all they may not even repait the car! who knows?

Hi there anybody help me I have a 2019 transporter 102 was driving along at 40 mph then all of a sudden everything cut out no bang nothing van coasted on to side van was bought from reputable dealer from 6000 miles was there courtesy van from new van has now done 55000 had it serviced by them since we have had it just out of 3 year warranty took back to the dealer 6th dec cut a long story short camelt snapped can't find reason why belt broke not due to be replaced dealer said engine needs replacing as valves have hit pistons now have a bill for hire car and new engine stand at around £10000 at moment no help with cost from dealer awaiting response today from vw customer services happy days anybody else had same response from dealers many thanks

oh geez,

thats not good.

cam belt is due at 4years old or 120,000 miles

+++++++++++

fyi - the normal reason for belt failure is that the water pump bearing seal can start to leak,

which can start to rust the bearing, and make it harder for the pump to spin,

the extra load on the belt can cause slipping and eventually belt failure.

thats one of the reasons they advise to change the water pump and guide bearings at the same time.

++++++++++++

if you have no luck with the warranty you will be able to find a local indy or mobile vw guy that can rebuild the top end for you.

but id image you could still be looking at 3-5K or more depending on parts required and if the head needs skimming.

Back