Power-Latching sliding-door problems

I’ve ordered the part.. I’ll let you know how it goes! Is the module located passenger side? Mines just a kombi so no drama I’ll find it :whistle:

Hi Pauly - would you be able to post VW's exact description of the two parts along with their corresponding part numbers please? I've searched online using your above reference but can't find them. My 2018 T6 Kombi (still under warranty) has just had three days in the service department and, whilst they've mercifully seen the problem for themselves, they've now said they need more time with it because "VW Technical have suggested it might be a problem with the wiring loom". Thanks.

@nrgnet - did you get this sorted?
Was it the wiring loom?
Mine goes in (again) on Saturday and it would be good to know if you got it resolved & how
Cheers

Hi @moomin - the van is booked in for Tue next week, so no progress as yet. I'll drop a note here as soon as I get any update and if you could do likewise that would be great. Very best of luck on Saturday.

;) Now just gotta take the panel off..

These are where the clips are if the original holes have been used.

There are a few more that I didn't manage to photo that are on the radius of the wheel arch.

Hope it helps?

Secret clip locations (1).JPG

Secret clip locations (2).JPG

Secret clip locations (1).png

The circled bit is (roughly) where the power latching module is bolted in.

I was also asked to take off 2 more panels before they would look at it:

Panels removed (3).jpg

Panels removed (4).jpg

Hi @moomin - the van is booked in for Tue next week, so no progress as yet. I'll drop a note here as soon as I get any update and if you could do likewise that would be great. Very best of luck on Saturday.

Well, the van went in at 09:00 on Tue and was ready to pick up shortly after lunch today. I can't quite get my head round how it took over five days in total to figure out which component was faulty (given that there are only two as far as I know) but they replaced the power latching unit. Time will tell if the problems rears its head again but fingers crossed all will be good. My local service centre was very professional - both the service desk and the engineer - and kept me informed throughout, so credit where it's due there. Any news on yours?

Well, the van went in at 09:00 on Tue and was ready to pick up shortly after lunch today. I can't quite get my head round how it took over five days in total to figure out which component was faulty (given that there are only two as far as I know) but they replaced the power latching unit. Time will tell if the problems rears its head again but fingers crossed all will be good. My local service centre was very professional - both the service desk and the engineer - and kept me informed throughout, so credit where it's due there. Any news on yours?

Good luck with your repair - you are now up to the same point as I was from my previous visit.
If it's anything like mine, this power latching problem has a nasty habit of pretending its fixed (for a few days / weeks) then all of a sudden it plays up again!!
Grrrr...

Well, Buster went in AM on Saturday, courtesy van given (brand spanker (47 miles on the clock) new Caddy with no fuel in it) and I received a "Health Check Video" on Monday @ 0930. I don't want to bloomin' know my fluid levels, tyres and brakes are ok, - I actually received the same info over 4 weeks ago, when it went in last flippin' time.
I can't believe they thought that things would wear out that quick and it had only done less than 400 miles in that period!!

I want to know that power latching is mended.

Then I received a phone call from the Service Manager AM Tuesday to say that they couldn't replicate the fault and the Master Tech who saw it last time, had called in sick as he is having to isolate due to Covid-19. Fair enough, peoples health is way more important than my lump of metal. I get that.
So... I took back the Caddy (with way more fuel in it than when I picked it up - this can be blamed on my poor estimated mileage vrs fuel usage) and brought back Buster to sit on my drive probably until next time I can book an appointment.

And I now need to book it in again when the guy is back at work.
So my new dilemma is... do I put the 3 carpeted covers back on & probably break some clips along the way, or wait until it can go in again?

Mrs moomin-j wants all the "stuff" that I took out of it back in, as apparently its making our hallway look untidy and difficult to get into the kitchen!!
I don't really know & understand what she is on about?
I though my stacking capabilities (for a bloke) were pretty spot on?
It's not like we are having visitors around for a lockdown party any time soon!!

20201023_015233.jpg

I'll post more news when I have some

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
Aaaagghhhh!!!! 24 hours after it was "fixed" the problem is back, just as you experienced. To the best of my knowledge the power latching function consists of only three components; the power latching unit itself, the motor control unit and the wiring which connects it all together. Can anyone confirm this for me please or advise if I'm missing something? I've just sent a terse (great word that!!) email to the service desk (using third person only of course to avoid it getting personal) so await their response...

After 3 months with occassional non function of the soft close due to an obstacle across the threshold my soft close suddenly stopped working while away from home giving me 100 miles of noise and exhaust fumes. Following the arrangement I had made with the dealer I took it in next day for them to inspect it. One of their chief mechanics came out, quickly removed the threshold cover and undid the 2 bolts holding the soft close in place. For those of you who have never seen one naked before this is what they look like. MetaL Topside:

IMG_9233.JPG

Pllastic Underneath:
IMG_9230.JPG

However mine didn’t look like that. Mine was, so to speak, exploded.
IMG_9235.JPG

When he got it open ( it only clips together, and is held tight closed by the two mounting bolts ) this is what he found:
IMG_9237.JPG

This is after a large amount of dirt and grit and several pieces of broken green plastic had been removed. Not covered by warranty. Not held in stock. £172 supplied and fitted which meant another trip two days later but at least they got the latch and the soft close synchronised.
Here are another couple of pics of the mechanism:
IMG_9283.JPG

IMG_9284.JPG

I regularly take large yellow aggregate bags of garden waste and and driveway sweepings to the tip and about 6 weeks ago I also took a complete van full of rubble bags full of old bricks and concrete there. The van got filthy. I usually vacuum it out as soon as finished however enough got into the lock to bugger it up.

IMG_9240.JPG

Looking at the top cover you can see the hole through into the mechanism, once the dirt lands there it is going inside, will be held there by the grease, and no way of cleaning it out.Now every time I load or unload I have to cover over the latch and remember to remove the cover before shutting the tailgate. It is not enough just to sweep it out before closing.

So keep the lock clean and remember what the mechanic told me: Builders shouldn’t buy vans with tailgates. And obviously neither should people who are going to use the van as a van.

Good post and advice. Holds true for those camping in their van. Expensive crud

Well, my T6 went back in to the workshop on Tue last week. Each day I had an update to say that they were still talking to VW Technical and then a call on Fri morning to say that they'd been advised to do certain checks on the wiring, exactly the same as what they said on 28 Sep... The van is still there, so let's see what this week brings.

@nrgnet, please keep this thread updated.

Hopefully when I get mine booked in, I can tell them of your woes and how yours was mended?

At the moment, Buster is sat on the drive with all the camping gear loaded back in (Mrs moomin-j is happy, once again), but I have not re attached the 3 panels back on yet.
It's keeping warm via hook up and an oil filled radiator.
The wife says I look after the T6 way more than her!

Day 13...
I called VW Commercial Customer Care yesterday (0800 7834909) to air my frustrations and they agreed to assign a case manager to it to give the local workshop more support (will take up to 48 hours for system to respond). Had a call this afternoon from the workshop to say that they'd replaced the MCU but it faulted again, so they're back in touch with VW Technical. So that's the power latching unit replaced and the MCU and we're no nearer a resolution. Elon Musk would laugh.

Day 18...
I had a call to say that they'd replaced the "door catch mechanism" and the fault had now been fixed. Four days on and it's looking good. I'm waiting for confirmation of what components were replaced - along with the VW part number for each - but I believe them to be as follows:-

1) power latching unit
2) control unit
3) door catch mechanism

As soon as I've got the confirmed details I'll let the forum know. I can't hold my breath for much longer, so fingers crossed this is it!

@moomin-j - any news from your side?

Nick

@nrgnet

Thanks for the follow up to this sorry saga.

Hopefully all is good now, but with 18 days at the dealers to sort it out - I feel your pain

At the moment, Buster has not moved since I parked it up from my last travels to Sheffield.
I have been in & out of the side door a few times and the power latching has worked every time, bar 1!!
Unfortunately, I didn't video it - so I am not sure that Vw will believe me - grrrr
I think I need to get him booked back in & show them a copy of this thread.
Part numbers would be good of your repair, as at the moment the only component that has been swopped for new is the control module, located above the NS wheel arch.

Can you let me know what dealer you used, & do you have a contact name by any chance?

As soon as I know more, I'll post.

Component parts confirmed as below and replaced in that order:-

1) 7E0843765B - Latch Unit
2) 7E0959243E - Control Unit
3) 7E0843603D - Lock

I presume replacement units 1) and 2) were retained before finally fixing it with replacement unit 3) but it still beats me why VW wouldn't sanction the supply of all three items up front and then the local service team could have returned the ones which weren't needed. I've lost three weeks of conversion time and we're now into the cold season making it that much harder. The service manager was helpful but I think their hands are tied by what VW Technical will allow them to do. Details as follows:-

I'll PM anyone who'd like the contact details of the service manager/garage where it was fixed - not sure if it's right to broadcast such info...

Good luck in getting Buster sorted.

What a bloody saga...

Buster went in to the Vw dealer 4th Jan and today, 8 weeks later I got him back.
I've had so many emails and phone calls from both the dealer and Vw Customer relations, it beggars belief.
I sent 3 videos each filmed a month apart showing the power latching door not working, but it took 6 weeks for Vw Milton Keynes to acknowledge this.
I have had a courtesy T6.1 for all this time with costs of £75.00 per day.
The cost of this far outweighs the costs of the complete sum of parts to swap - this in itself is a little crazy and is something I cant get my mind around.
But that is part of the problem of having warranty work authorised.

According to the bits of paper I was given they have now changed 2 parts:
1. The control module that fits in the near side rear wheel arch
2. The sliding door lock that fits in the door

Time will tell if I have to make another phone call / email.
I sometimes wished I had not ticked the option box that said "power latching"!!

On a positive note, at least now, I can fit all the "bits" I've bought since Christmas.
And he needs a good wash & wax - how can a van that has not moved a wheel for 8 weeks get so filthy?
It was nice they remembered not to touch him with a pressure washer though.

Back