Possibly Having To Cancel My Van Order.......

Kingsimon2000

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So after a 2-year wait in January, I ordered a kombi van. It was a big chunk of change but it was my 50th birthday and it was going to be great for work.. Now we are where we are.. I work in the film and commercials industry and on Monday as myself and the rest of the crew were working on a shoot all of our jobs got canceled.. zero money coming in from now on..

Ok. I get it,.. now my lovely van was built last week. The week beginning the 13thwas when I had planned to be going to Cordwallis to pick it up!

Reality looks like this is going to go on longer than the summer so in theory, I would have a new van on the drive / commercial insurance to pay with nowhere to go!

I've paid the £1000.00 deposit but I'm not clear if I am in a contract to pay the full amount.

Then I'm thinking to get it now whilst I can! christ not sure what to do.

I also totally understand that this is not the most important thing to worry about!

poo.

Honest opinion, if you can, cancel and lose your deposit, you can always revisit your needs later in the year, Not good having a pretty van on the drive and you cant afford to keep a roof over your head.

Hey @Kingsimon2000 the film/broadcast industry is brutal, especially at your end of things. sorry to hear it mate. But, @superflyguy is right. If its gonna mess everything up, its better to cut your losses. You can always ask if they are about to shut down production and put the whole process on hold, as you wont be able to pay and will need to cancel... there are a few manufacturers closing up as they wont be able to afford the fees to chase defaulters or store/sell someone elses vehicle and so they would possibly rather have the business later than the problems now....
Dont lose your house, or family shortly after that. Its a van. This thing will blow over and the van will follow...
Explore as many possibilities as you can, but dont, under any circumstances, put the family at risk.
Good luck dude.

The dealers might be in the same boat. Try talking them into holding the van for a couple of months until we see how things pan out. Don’t let them register it though.

Thanks, Salty. I was just thinking the same.. Ideally, mothball it for as long as possible. I can't afford the depreciation/insurance.. If they say they can't do that I will have to see about canceling. I can't put my hands on the paperwork I signed. I'm not sure if I am contracted to make the purchase.. Anybody got any experience of having to pull the plug? The chancellor is just not helping the self employed.. If I was PAYE he would cover up to 30K but the Self employed will have to basically sign on for Universal credit to get £4500 a year.

I dont know if this helps you but I ordered a brand new VW T6 last year from VW Van Centre Preston. The same week that the van arrived I contacted them to cancel as the T6.1 had just been announced. The salesman wasn't happy but to my surprise he honoured my £1000 deposit against a T6.1 which I now have. This delayed my purchase by 12 months so maybe worth asking if they will save the deposit against the delayed purchase due to funding issues. Its worth asking now so it gives you that little time to think it over. All the very best with it all.

Am pretty sure your not the only one to be cancelling. Difficult times ahead for a lot of us, am certainly not replacing mine now for the foreseeable future. Best bet is to speak with the dealer and see what the options are.

I cancelled a SEAT years ago and they tried to say they would sue me for loss of profit as well as losing my deposit.
I cancelled and they didn't sue me.
Not sure what it says in your contract

First port of call
Speak to the dealer see what he could do for you

They not all bad, some are human at heart

Andy

Given the current waiting times & the likelihood that Corona is going to increase waiting times due to factory shutdowns. You might have a valuable investment there. I’m sure someone would be happy to pay a premium to take it off your hands.

Even if you are contracted to pay the full amount, I would think it unlikely that VW would seek to enforce that because the potential reputational harm of seeking to enforce in the current climate is very high

Did you see the thread about VW factories closing? new orders delayed, so the dealer may want to buy your order off you, at a profit!

Just to add to this. .
I rang and cancelled mine today, I was a month into the process and had been assigned a build date. The dealer was very good about it (Lancashire) and I’ll definitely go back to them when my work is back on site.

Back