Portable solar to leisure battery - confused!

borat

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all.. I didn't opt for solar being fitted to the van (T6.1) as dont plan to be off grid much. However I do plan to do a few music festivals and these will probably be beyond the life of leisure battery, so I'm wondering what options I have for portable and how this would connect? I've seen so much info on charging (eg DC-DC being needed for newer vans) and unclear on if I can just buy a plug and play panel and connect to my leisure battery, or is it not that simple? If it is that simple, any recommendations on a decent portable kit?

Thanks

@borat this is what I have bought to charge my batteries.

John.
Thanks. Is yours a T6.1? So with this, you connect the controller to the battery directly and the panel plugs into that?

Yes T6.1 you connect the battery to controller first then connect the panel last, I saved the protective cover that came with the panel and put it on the roof of van and placed the panel on top it’s very lightweight.

John.

Yes T6.1 you connect the battery to controller first then connect the panel last, I saved the protective cover that came with the panel and put it on the roof of van and placed the panel on top it’s very lightweight.

John.
Ok thanks. I assume you can leave the controller connected and just need to plug the panel in when you need it?

Take a look at Lensun solar, I have one of their foldable solar panels, very good quality and just plug it in when needed

Keep your panel wrapped till after the final connection it will be making power if open... and between plug ins

I am looking to charge the leisure battery via the Jackery 100W panel, can anyone advise what I will need such as MTTP etc. I am also hoping to buy a DC connector so the Jackery will plug n play

@Eli get a Victron 75/15 smart. Mppt solar controller.

Then a DC barrel connector fly lead. To connect the panel.

Then hook it to the battery via a fuse.

@Eli get a Victron 75/15 smart. Mppt solar controller.

Then a DC barrel connector fly lead. To connect the panel.

Then hook it to the battery via a fuse.
Thanks Lee, any suggestions on which Victron 75/15 as the seems to be various ones

BT built in on the "Smart" version - Extra on the "Blue"

so its included on the one above

Reactions: Eli

John.
I have a T6 2018 and looking at similar options. I assume I plug straight to the leisure battery with vitron smart controller. It is very confusing

Back