Portable solar to leisure battery - confused!

I am currently using one of those on my foldable Lensun 100w panels. I have attached it to the back of the panels via heavy duty velcro tape and running an extension lead to the leisure battery (which is underneath passenger front seat). The reason for this is that it gives me an option to track the sun. The controller is rather heave and sagging the panels when on their folding stands, so I am thinking of detaching the controller from the back of the panels and locating it in the van instead. I was thinking of having it fixed somehow underneath of the glove compartment? Any thoughts?

Given that my LB is underneath of the front passenger seat where would I put/fix the controller (in this option I would have a shorter lead connection to the battery) and longer cables from the controller to the panels instead (totally opposite what I have now, longer battery cable and shorter panel cable).

Also, can the controller be permanently connected to the battery (yes I do have fuse already between the controller and the battery as advised by @Dellmassive previously), as currently I unplug it every time as the controller is attached to the panels?

Yes no problems.

Just have the mppt remote from the panel.....

Run MC4 leads from panel to the controller

Last edited:
Yes no problems.

Just have the mppt remote from the panel.....

Run MC4 leads from panel to the controller
Thanks for this as always. Just out of interest is 10A rated in-line fuse between the controller and battery sufficient (100w panel)?

I have now moved mppt controller inside my van and connected it to the leisure battery, but I have noted that the blue led light gives intermittent blink every 5 sec on the controller (panels not connected).Will this drain the battery if left constantly connected?

IMG_20220721_182937559_HDR.jpg

10A fuse is ok. . . but not necessarily needed.

self drain is very small . . . but will accumulate over time.

1658749344653.png

1658749373872.png

blue flash is normal for nigh time when there is no power coming from the PV panels . . .

1658749610733.png

10A fuse is ok. . . but not necessarily needed.

self drain is very small . . . but will accumulate over time.

View attachment 166518

View attachment 166519

blue flash is normal for nigh time when there is no power coming from the PV panels . . .

View attachment 166521

Aha ok, I will just keep it unplugged when not in use.

In respect of the fuse I thought that you advocate to have one between the controller and the battery?

Just out of interest, could this controller accept additional 100w Lensun panel (identical to the one I have already) connected in series to supply the leisure battery or portable Jackarey style charger?

Aha ok, I will just keep it unplugged when not in use.

In respect of the fuse I thought that you advocate to have one between the controller and the battery?

Just out of interest, could this controller accept additional 100w Lensun panel (identical to the one I have already) connected in series to supply the leisure battery or portable Jackarey style charger?
sorry my mistake i misread your post. . .

i read it as a fuse between the controller and the PV panel. - that not required for small 100-300w systems.

but as you mention ALL BATTERY CONNECTIONS MUST BE FUSED.

so. . . .

the 75/15 is 15A max.

so i would fit a 25A cable and 20A fuse . . . . . . . . if you fit a 10A fuse it will blow*, if you fit a 15A it will get hot and melt* ( * = under full charge)

+++

yes you can double up your panels. . .

either in series when the voltage adds up - you can go up to 75V with that controller.

+++

or connect in parallel . . . where the current adds up - to a max of 15A . .

+++++

Reactions: EdH
@borat this is what I have bought to charge my batteries.

John.
How did you get on with this.I am also looking t it and more expensive options

Back