Poptop Mood Lighting Options.

Mike Dean

Aviation
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’m having a PopTop cut in over the next few weeks.
At the moment I have down-lights throughout the rear, obviously these will have to be either relocated to the sides, or replaced with LED strip lights.

I like the idea of LED strips either side and not have individual down-lights. I had a search around the forum but didn’t see much on offer.
If anyone has done this then it would be great to see what you installed and how you seated them into the ceiling.
:thumbsup:

Looks pretty epic. Nice clean work. I think the deluxe version Austop I'm having fitted doesn't have a ply bed, but aluminium or something. Drivers side will have Evo-designs-esque floor to roof cabinetry. Am thinking to swap out the LED strip in the over-sink shelf to coloured LED's, or to figure out if I could hace a halo running around the rim / opening where the roof becomes pop-top somehow. Any thoughts? Link for dimmable coloured LED strip and any necessary driver or dimmer please if you have a second :)

Thanks very much.

If I had my time again I’d use some Something like this. Magic Home 5-28V Wireless WiFi LED Controller RGBW Led strip Remote Alexa Google | eBay

IR, RF, Wi-Fi or Alexa control. RGB, WRGB or addressable control. Doesn’t need to be accessible to configure it. I’ve used these on my outside mood lights and they really work well.
@Deaky silly question how would you power this? 1.5mm2 cable from the leisure battery or would it need a laptop charger? We're getting a HiLo fitted this week and I want to fit some up/mood lights.

Mine run straight from the leisure battery via a fused switch

If I had my time again I’d use some Something like this. Magic Home 5-28V Wireless WiFi LED Controller RGBW Led strip Remote Alexa Google | eBay

IR, RF, Wi-Fi or Alexa control. RGB, WRGB or addressable control. Doesn’t need to be accessible to configure it. I’ve used these on my outside mood lights and they really work well.
Can this be incorporate into a set of spots in the ceiling if so how ? Also talking about lights I am having a poptop fitted and they have asked how many lights spots do I want and locations I am going to maintain my rear step light also have the original ceiling light still fitted over the sliding door
But how many and were would be enough? I also was thinking about a light by the back barn doors to use while in bed on a separate circuit? Would you have this switched or touch ? Thanks

@Albel
I have a couple of reading lights, one in each rear corner. They are the touch type and they are on a flexible metal arm. They are still on a fused switched lighting circuit though.
Bear in mind when retaining the original door-activated lights that they run off your starter battery. If you are on site for a few days the constant opening and shutting of the door will flatten the starter battery.
Better to put a switch in the b-pillar for an internal light that is wired to the LB side of things.
I had 6 LED down lights fitted when I had my pop top. It’s way too bright and we rarely turn them on. I’d say maybe 3 or 4 or get dimmable ones.

@Albel
I have a couple of reading lights, one in each rear corner. They are the touch type and they are on a flexible metal arm. They are still on a fused switched lighting circuit though.
Bear in mind when retaining the original door-activated lights that they run off your starter battery. If you are on site for a few days the constant opening and shutting of the door will flatten the starter battery.
Better to put a switch in the b-pillar for an internal light that is wired to the LB side of things.
I had 6 LED down lights fitted when I had my pop top. It’s way too bright and we rarely turn them on. I’d say maybe 3 or 4 or get dimmable ones.
That is great advice in regards the door active lights never thought of that worth a re think
Also in regards number of lights I will have a rethink most people are saying 4 plus a reading light
Thanks again

That is great advice in regards the door active lights never thought of that worth a re think
Also in regards number of lights I will have a rethink most people are saying 4 plus a reading light
Thanks again
I chose to keep the rear roof light and have it fitted into the frame near the tailgate. I have it permanently turned off as it flattened my starter battery over a long weekend keep coming on and off.
You may be ok if you swap the bulbs for LED as they consume much less power.

Back