LEDs on awning rail

Steved55

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I see that awning rails are now available with LEDs already fitted. I already have a rail fitted but like the idea of LEDs on the rail, either for general illumination or lighting under the awning. Has anyone successfully bonded aftermarket strip LEDs to a rail, and if so what with? And where did you get the power cable inside?
Thanks
Steve

There are fitting instructions from Clearcut here (pdf)

It's a really neat design - I'd just worry how good the LEDs are and if they will last given the permanent nature of bonding the rail on.

I'd be tempted to fit them through a dimmer and slightly downrate them. Having said that it's not like they'd be on frequently unlike ones inside the van?

Thanks @roadtripper - I'm happy with fitting awning rails - I was interested if anyone had retro fitted lights to an existing rail
Steve

Thanks @roadtripper - I'm happy with fitting awning rails - I was interested if anyone had retro fitted lights to an existing rail
Steve
My point was it covered how on that particular rail they get the power inside and route it.

tldr; a 25mm hole under the rail, across the top inside body of the door frame and down the B pillar.

I suspect retro fitting is going to stumble at the point where you need to get into the van with good weather sealing and not looking naff as you can't hide that under the rail.

Possibly you could get the cable along the profile to the rear and in that way - if the rail goes all the way to the rear?

Something like:

USB power lead through the rear door to a power bank? Glued onto the rail? As said by Roadtripper, the lead going from the rear of the rail to the rear doors may not be that ugly.

Depends what sort of control you want over it to turn on and off, drive with it on etc.

Thanks @roadtripper and @T6 Syd - yes the instructions confirmed my first fear of a hole through the bodywork!
As my rail finishes about 25mm from the tailgate , that is the way I would go I think.
I only want simple on off control when stationary - can easily acces my 12v supply once inside with the cable.

If I'd clicked on your avatar I'd have seen your rail, only just thought of that!

I'd be tempted to consider something like a bit of helicopter tape to take it around the curve cleanly?

Back