Pop top blues

sippe

NCO
VCDS User
T6 Pro
Quite a long story, will try to keep it short-ish... it's about one of the few downsides of living in Belgium...

Just to explain the difficult bit (short version for people who don't like long stories): You need a "COP" certified company to be able to do structural work (as a pop top is) to your car. So possibilities are slightly more limited than abroad.... And no, you can't have a company from another country install it. Crazy thing is, you can import a car with the roof already installed if it complies...

End 2018, started to look into a pop top roof for our Multivan. Contacted a company, and after having seen the HiLo roofs, asked if they would be into installing one. Months and months later, after some mailing them and HiLo and local instances, contacting VW, homologation office, visiting a company that installs them in France etc, decided to call it a draw and continue looking for something else. Biggest problem seemed to be that for the HiLo at the moment there was a EU certificate missing (although they are installed in France and Germany without too many problems...).

Contacted another company, and asked if they could install a Reimo. No problem, "but VW Belgium might be a bit difficult, so we're not installing before we get the go from them". Fair enough, no cutting before being sure that it actually is able to pass yearly test afterwards and not to be scrapped or exported... Very nice people in the company, and very patient.
After a while, got contacted back, appartently VW Belgium decided that it was not allowed, as they saw in my VIN number that I had side airbags. Me:??????????????? ?????? ???

This was on the way home from work, so had a look at it when I arrived home. The airbags mentioned are in the side of the seats, so I didn't really see the problem... They contacted Reimo about this (me too but didn't get a response to my mail), and appartently Reimo confirmed. So the guy was very sorry but couldn't do it. Me was very sorry to of course... but as I'm not really a quitter, I decided to continue looking.

Today I found another company that does pop top installs, and is COP certified. Sent a mail with a short explanation of what we want to do (install a pop top roof in a T6 Multivan), and will hopefully get a positive answer this time.

To be continued......
:rolleyes:

Hmmmm....

This week got in contact again with them after they said they would have a look into it at the beginning of summer somewhere. Got a quite positive reply back (if airbags are in the seats, no problem).

So hopefully getting it finally done before next year.... :cool:

In terms of car regulations there's more interesting countries to live in.......

Ok, update!

Second half of February there will be a hole in the roof. Got permissions etc.

Reimo Easyfit, and a Thule awning.

Finally...... This shouldn't have taken this long, but anyway, this year wasn't the big travel year anyway.

Grtz from Brussels!

I'm looking for advise on a creaky pop top. Conversion was carried out middle of 2019 by so called professional outfit, no names I've sorted most of the problems myself.
The top, unfortunately, is baffling me. As soon as I move off the drive the body flexes and the creaking starts above the drivers side (passenger side OK) and its driving me insane. I've removed and re-fixed the wooden parts, added more fixings ie the simple bits. it feels like the steel roof strengthening parts aren't secured enough. Not sure who could or would be prepared to look into it and fix it. Needs to somebody in Essex. The strip down needs to be more extreme than I'm confident in going. Help!

I'm looking for advise on a creaky pop top. Conversion was carried out middle of 2019 by so called professional outfit, no names I've sorted most of the problems myself.
The top, unfortunately, is baffling me. As soon as I move off the drive the body flexes and the creaking starts above the drivers side (passenger side OK) and its driving me insane. I've removed and re-fixed the wooden parts, added more fixings ie the simple bits. it feels like the steel roof strengthening parts aren't secured enough. Not sure who could or would be prepared to look into it and fix it. Needs to somebody in Essex. The strip down needs to be more extreme than I'm confident in going. Help!

What brand/type of roof?

I have exactly the same on a Reimo LWB roof, squeaking noise directly above my head which seems to come from inside the roof itself.
I need to revisit my converter as one of my vanshades is dropping (again) so I'll ask them then.

I am not a certificated pop top fitter but..
I fitted my own pop top back in 2017.
When I fitted the side beams I applied a bead of sealant (sikaflex) between the beam and the van skin.
The thought behind that was it would act as a bonding agent and reduce the chance of moving and possible squeaking from the pop rivets.
The pop rivets were also fitted at 50mm centres, again to increase stability.
The only squeak we ever had was from a dry hinge,easily fixed.
You could check the centres of the pop rivets by feeling them under the carpet.

Very interesting Info, it gives me some hope of fixing it myself and now I have a better idea of where to start. I wouldn't trust the idiots who converted mine and I know I would get zero response anyway, it appears they cut corners when fitting ie no sealer and not enough rivets.
Cheers.
Watch this space!

Like I say , I,m no expert and I don't think it was a requirement to add sealant and it didn't specify the centres .
Just belts and braces on my part.
Good luck

So, after a couple of insanely busy years without finding too much energy to post a lot, here's finally an update! Better late than never, I would say...
Pictures in the next post somewhere...

In the end, got the Reimo roof installed (Easyfit, with comfort bed, locking mechanism (system without the straps), and fully opening in the front), together with the awning, both done by Juga (Belgian company), who also done all necessary paperwork to get it street legal (in Belgium, regulations are a bit crazy...). I must say, we're super happy with the roof, and haven't regretted taking the comfort bed (sleeps way better than a wooden board). So far, we've taken it out quite a bit (weekend overnights, holidays in the Alps etc.). Open top is great when hot, it's like lying outside...

The awning also is a great addition, it adds a lot more space, and is quite good for sun, but also in the rain, and for hanging clothes after a run.

Only remark I would have on the roof is it's not for less mobile people. Getting out of bed at night without waking up the other is like a gymnastics session (maybe I'm doing something wrong, though :p ), but you get the hang of it after a while...

In the meanwhile also changed the leisure battery as the old one was dead. Used an Optima Yellowtop, 70Ah if I remember correctly. Chosen it because of the durability (known for being ok even if drained too much) Pretty happy with it, although I should have looked for a 100Ah one (other brand, as the Optima gets too big if you size up).

Got some curtains. Quite nice to be able to fully close the car! Multivan has those sun shades that are still see through, and of course the front and back window were completely see through... (luckily for driving...)

Radio got changed into a Kenwood one. Quite happy with that, apart from the front parking sensors that still beep but don't show on the screen anymore, don't seem to get those back on...). I do need to change the DAB aerial though, the standard one is not the best... Might go for a shark fin or so, but not sure where to put it, not feeling like running 10m of antenna cable through the car and opening everything up again...

In VCDS I don't seem to be able to remove the radio from the list (can untick it from the installation list in Canbus, but it keeps on showing up in installed items). Also, an error keeps on coming up about the rear air distribution flap. Not sure why, I opened the box in the back, and everything seems to be working ok (arm is moving when switching from cold to hot, blower is running...). Car needs to go to the garage tomorrow, I might ask what they think...
9582357 - Position Sensor for Rear Air Disrtibution Flap 2
B1237 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Last weekend finally installed a solar panel (semi flexible, 180W), as the fridge setup eats battery (compressor cool box, 230V, connected via inverter, Victron 12/800). Have thought about changing to a 12V fridge but it still works fine and delivers "ijskoude pintjes". No field testing yet, but it works. Connected to CTEK D250SA (panel gives max 21,8V so no problem for the CTEK).

Also, I added some extra lighting upstairs (reading lamps with built-in USB, seen an idea pass by on the forum somewhere), a LED strip downstairs (around the roof opening) on a dimmer (adapted it a bit to fit) and some extra USB sockets in the front to replace the 12v plug.

Heading over to Scotland this summer, so curious how the solar panel will do :) .

As mentioned, pics in the next post...

Roof fitted
1 - Roof fitted.jpg
2 - Open sky.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

Fitting solar panel (I'm more of a "technician" than a clean finisher, just saying...)
IMG_5043.jpg
IMG_5045.jpg
IMG_5047.jpg

In the back, wires coming through the roof, and inside. Not sure where else I could route them to be honest....
IMG_5075.jpg
Not sure why, but I always seem to be making a mess...
IMG_5058.jpg

Had a slight issue when removing the seat.... Couldn't get any grip on the nut anymore, it didn't want to come loose. Let's say normally I'm quite handy, but I might need some holidays...
So I tried to hit it with a chisel from the sides to make it turn around (has worked before). Didn't work. In the end I just undid the other nut and the two bolts, and just slightly lifted and turned with the whole seat assembly. That did the trick. Pfff... I was only just starting another day...
IMG_5055.jpg

Unscrewing the box (very happy with that addition, made from multiplex, it holds the sodastream and a water jerrycan) to get the cables behind.
IMG_5048.jpg

Radio out (to get access to the rear of the 12V plug), and top switch board out (to get access to the roof, for installing lights and switches)
IMG_5056.jpg

USB plug installed (it runs from the leisure battery now, the old one was still connected to the main battery). Above: the radio. Only problem is the sun..... The screen reflects a lot... Thinking about a solution for that, but so far not found one...
BFD900B1-17A9-4EA8-AD9A-D7BF688B93D9.jpg

The dimmer opened up (used it without the top panel, turning knob sits directly in the roof switch panel now)
IMG_5054.jpg

The box screwed in, but I broke the circuit board by a sudden "unplanned" movement..... Bloody hell, not my day (in the same day, had to buy a new edge trimmer for the grass as that broke as well (but that was not due to my clumsiness, just its age, and it was a cheap one)
Ordered a new one online, arrived next day (today), same housing, but whole circuit board looks different (looks like a newer version, built a bit better as well, and most important, it works)
IMG_5059.jpg

Homemade dimmer print :p
IMG_5073.jpg

Reading lights (USB cables plugged in)
IMG_5061.jpg

Dimmable LED strip. FINALLY some mood lights!
IMG_5074.jpg

Drilled a small hole in the bottom of the awning to get a little carabiner on to hang a nice little lamp I found in the camping shop (De Wit, in Schijndel, Netherlands, it's INSANE how big this shop is, they have one shop for everything specifically for campers, and a new really big shop for everything else). Maybe you know the feeling: go in for a solar panel, come out with way more crap you seemed to "need" :)

IMG_5063.jpg

Voila, that's it for now. Happy to finally share some pictures (and maybe ideas), sorry it took so long but as I mentioned above, the last couple of years have been extremely busy, not much energy left for extras....

Grtz

Jan

You should not have used glue around the edges of the solar panel, 5 beads of glue 8mm front to back should suffice. Glueing around the edges will cause the panel to overheat, eventually.

Van looks great

Yeah, as Alan says, recommended fit is with lines of adhesive and open ended gaps to let air move.
SolarInstall.png

Thanks for the advice, I should probably have asked before….

But just noticed on the leaflet that it doesn’t apply for marine vessels. I’ll try to trick the panels so they think they’re at sea… not sure how..

I think because they get water splashed over them which helps to keep them cool whereas on top of a van it's only when it rains.

Didn't think of that, makes sense...

So I need a system to spray the roof while driving, or go to Scotland on holiday!

(really hope I don't have to replace it too quick, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to remove all the glue :) )

But anyway, thanks again. I know what to do next time. It feels a bit like building a house... You always have to do it twice (second time to not make the same mistakes you made the first time round)

Grtz

Jan

Another thing a few people (including me) have done is put vehicle wrap vinyl on the roof first before sticking the solar panel to the vinyl, makes for easy removal and clean up should the panel need to be changed.
I changed my 100W panel to a 200 W one and it came off clean, replaced the vinyl and restuck the new panel on with no damage to the roof.

My solar panel went into a spray booth and was exposed to 80 degC while the paint cured, no issues, it’s within the spec‘ of the panel.
All panels are not equal.

Just read this thread for the first time - very impressive perseverance! I’d probably have either imported a van with a pop-top or nipped to France to have one fitted and hoped no one noticed…

Do pop tops have a ”load rating” for the inhabitant(s)? I like the idea, but have never seen a maximum mass - if they can take over 200kg, it’d be fine, but 150kg might be a bit tight (as I’m about 95 on my own…).

Back