Pop Roof, which one?

VanMan48

T6 Pro
Saving up for a pop roof for next year, and wanted to ask which one folks here rate? SCA seem to be popular. I'd want it to be as slimline as possible when closed ideally.

Also does anyone have any pics on how they look from the inside when closed? I've only ever seen a Cali Beach from the inside which had that neat sliding hatch thingy which hid all the gubbins away nicely.

Thanks

I'm going for the high-lift SCA. Advice I got was that high-lift was the way to go on SWB vans unless it's only going to be used by short folk.

Just been looking through their website! They look pretty awesome. Think one of them will be on my list for the spring next year!
I'm 50/50 between the Hilo and an SCA 194, actually no I'm more in favour of the Hilo but both have their advantages and disadvantages and I would be happy with either when I finally make up my mind. I have PM's @Dean@VanDoc for advice prior to purchase but he hasn't been online for a couple of weeks, must be on holiday or something but I'm in no hurry

I was looking at the Hilo pops too. Its an interesting point that @GoatBoater mentioned about a high-lift being best on a SWB for tall people. I'm 6ft 3 and never thought about the standing room limitations. Is it just SCA that do a High-lift? I'm off to discuss a conversion with a company next week and this will be one of the things I will ask.

Ed you could be 8 foot 3 and wouldn't touch the roof when standing in a standard sca. I think the benefit of the high lift is it gives you more space at the low end when the bed is down

Ed you could be 8 foot 3 and wouldn't touch the roof when standing in a standard sca. I think the benefit of the high lift is it gives you more space at the low end when the bed is down
Perfect. I've only stood in a few as I never got round to getting my t4 done but was trying to remember about roof height. that's good to know, saves me asking a silly question next week.

The Hilo gives you an extra 52cm at the back but I can't see how much the high lift gives you. Anyone know?

I was looking at the Hilo pops too. Its an interesting point that @GoatBoater mentioned about a high-lift being best on a SWB for tall people. I'm 6ft 3 and never thought about the standing room limitations. Is it just SCA that do a High-lift? I'm off to discuss a conversion with a company next week and this will be one of the things I will ask.
I'm not sure how much it matters for standing up, well in a camper with the bed/seat at the back as you can only stand at about the halfway point of the roof which is generally high enough when up. Yes it will matter if you have standing room at the back of the van but the high lifts come into their own with sleeping room especially if you have canoes for feet

Perfect. I've only stood in a few as I never got round to getting my t4 done but was trying to remember about roof height. that's good to know, saves me asking a silly question next week.
Ed, I'm in mine just now and done a check. At the high end of the roof I can stand and put my hands in the air and not touch the inside of the roof (I'm 5'9"). If I stand directly in front of the rib bed though there's probably 4 inches between my head and the underside of the bed board. I don't think that will increase with a high lift though as although the roof is higher at the back the bed board will still be attached at the same height as far as I know (frame height)

Excuse the mess but here's a pic. I think the bed board will be hinged at this point regardless if it's high lift or standard. The height benefits of a high lift is in the sleeping area. The high lift allows you to sleep with your head at the rear of the van instead of next to the gap

IMG_3674.JPG

@xpfloyd that's awesome info, Thank you. that's most of the 'living' space confirmed as enough room for me. Reading the thread back I can see I got confused and thought it was about standing height and not sleeping room.

Ed I should add that you can sleep with your head to the rear on a standard sca, I done it last night as my van was sloping to the front due to where I parked up and I can't sleep if my head is lower than my body, however it's a bit claustrophobic as the roof is quite close to your head. if you think you will be sleeping that way around the high lift is def the way to go. I reckon I'll sleep the other way around most of the time though

Awesome I'm taking all this on board as I'm just in throws of deciding if I should convert myself or get it converted ( I've got a thread on that topic somewhere) these are things I will be looking at next week. Thanks for all of your help and sorry for hijacking a thread.

@VanMan48 hope you don't mind me posting this but just realised there's a high lift sca parked across from me just now. Here's a photo with mine in the foreground (standard sca). There's actually not that much difference, it looks like the high lift is about 4 inches higher at the back

IMG_3675.JPG

Back