Plug in heater question

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
Hi, all you great and good T6 ers,

I've not got heating fitted to my camper, and wondered if would have problems if I used a small simple electric heater when we were on pitch AND hooked up?

I'd welcome your thoughts and advice, especially if any type of heater is recommended.

Cheers

We use a 1kW or 1.5kW oil filled electric heater. I feel that it is the safest type and the power rating is a compromise between being powerful enough and not risking tripping the supply by drawing too much current.
Richard.

Just been looking at this as an option myself. I had planned to go the posh route with heating, but I think I dropped it off the spec sheet after looking at my bank balance at some point during the build.

Has anyone got suggestions for a good space-saving oil filled radiator? Someone else suggested halogen to be too, but they all seem a bit flimsy / "setting fire to van"y

Just been looking at this as an option myself. I had planned to go the posh route with heating, but I think I dropped it off the spec sheet after looking at my bank balance at some point during the build.

Has anyone got suggestions for a good space-saving oil filled radiator? Someone else suggested halogen to be too, but they all seem a bit flimsy / "setting fire to van"y
The link I posted above is a good one aimed at camping.

Try your local Dunelm. Bought an oil filled radiator a couple of weeks ago from there. I'm away from home just now but if memory serves me correct, its 700 watts and £25. Very compact, silent and heats up quickly.

Last edited:
We use this.
Linky
Yep, I couldnt believe it either, but we thought that it has such good reviews and being so cheap it was worth a punt.

With price matching it was £20 from Go Outdoors. Huh, you say.
We've used it several times and cant believe how good it is, in fact we use it on the first of two heat settings.

It's got an auto off tip feature, and unlike an oil rad, its instant heat which is great to keep the van warm if the door keeps getting opened. Used it on a few weekends so far and, well it just keeps on working.

It's also tiny - 16 x 14 x 23 cm, ideal for storing away.

Downside- being a fan heater you can hear it so I wouldn't leave it on overnight - it'd be too warm too. But by then we are all tucked up cosy.

Yep, its not a diesel heater, but it is the best £20 we've spent on the van.

Back