Planning the audio upgrade - Re-use or buy new?

veearrsix

VIP Member
I am planning my audio upgrade, I had planned on doing something simple and reasonably cost effective. Initial thoughts were a pair of the Blam RS200 components and the alpine SPC-D84AT6 sub/dsp/amp combo. Maybe these will be a decent enough upgrade, it is only a van afterall. That doesn't stop me second guessing if I couldn't get something better for not much more, so...

I have access to both a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 and an Alpine PDR V75, I don't need them both, but I'm wondering if one of these (probably the Alpine) could form the basis of my system. I would then add a Helix mini dsp and I'm drawn to picking out some semi high end dynaudio or morel components (bought as separates as I don't need the crossovers) leaving a subwoofer shaped hole to fill. I'd probably go with the alpine underseat sub as they seem relatively inexpensive.

Is it worth reusing either of these old components, or should i just stump up for the 6ch helix dsp/amp combo. Or will the initial Blam/Alpine idea be enough?

Lastly, should I run a 6ch rca cable from the head unit (halo 9) or are the speaker level inputs enough? I think if I reuse the Alpine amp I have to use rca anyway.

Anyone have any advice?
Firstly forget the Alpine sub, it would struggle to keep up with a pair of 8s in the front and a amp

If you are running a Halo 9 then the 5 channel alpine amp, along with a nice set of 6.5” components, from Hertz, Morel etc and a 10” sub would be very good

The Audison SR5.600 would be better again over the alpine amp, or their m5.11bit dsp amp , both can run active and more powerful

helix 6 dsp amp is great also but would be tempted to run a mono alongside

Would it be possible to use the alpine amp to run the components active? I mean without a DSP (I would plan to add one later).

As for sub, I'm somewhat restricted to underseat. Hence why I was thinking alpine.

Would 6ch RCA be better than using speaker outputs? Although I think the alpine only handles RCA anyway

No the Alpine cannot do active

Why is it restricted , the Alpine sub take nearly all the seat space up, our sub enclosure with a 10” works superbly

Alpine can only handle RCA , if you want to use it it would be better some form of signal processor

Back