Sound system upgrade advice please

RobFlynn

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Sorry, a lot here...

I bought myself a T6 Kombi today and after driving an A3 with the Bang & Olufsen 14 speaker system the stock T6 is depressing and needs sorting.
I would like to end up with:
  • 3 speakers per corner (Bass, Mid, Tweeter) but maybe just 2 per corner is more realistic (I can't think where I'd locate extra speakers upfront without modding trim).
  • Sub
  • Maybe a centre speaker if it adds any further improvement.

I don't think I can stretch to doing everything at once (neither money or time) so need advice on best plan of attack.
I have some old bits I had installed in a previous car which should still be OK:
  • Alpine 2 channel amp (quite big)
  • Alpine mono amp (quite big)
  • Pioneer 10" sub
  • Infinity Reference components with crossovers
I like the idea of the ALPINE SPC-106T61 COMPONENT SPEAKERS & TWEETERS as they can be plug & play - do these have crossovers?

Anyone got any useful thoughts on this approach or better suggestions?
  • Replace existing front mids and tweeters with new Alpine SPC-106T61
  • Install 2 channel amp (under single passenger seat) and use to drive new Alpines up front – I understand the amp would need to use speaker level input as VW headunit doesn't have any pre-outs – correct?
  • Install mono amp and sub (under seats) – where would I take the input from for this from?
  • Install Infinity components in rear using rear speaker output from headunit –will the headunit output be sufficient to drive these components?
  • Replace amps with 1 multichannel amp to reduce complexity, save space, and better power the rear components
  • Maybe add a front centre speaker if beneficial and amp channels permitting!

Are DSP amps worth it? To properly tune a component system, is a channel per speaker needed. Front and Rear components + sub would need 9 channels?! Any recommendations?

Thanks

Cheers @dubber36

@RobFlynn That is alot of questions lol. Valid ones though.

Are you going to camper mart? There maybe some things of interest there we can show you

Yes DSP is worth it but it depends how much your wanting to spend. Certain manufacturers are experiencing supply issues partly thanks to that d!ckhe@d in Russia. Running active is the best way though (1 channel per speaker/tweeter) so yes if you used 3 way fronts you'd need 9 DSP channels. A centre channel is possible but again requires some modification.

For space saving I'd use a 5 channel amp. We do alot of Audison and Hertz stuff and they're superb for the money. If your not planning on going DSP.

3 way speakers in the font is possible but it'll mean customising the door cards or an A pillar build

Sound deadening I know I bang in about it but it's like anything if the prep isn't right your wasting your time and money. A car door is far from an acoustically optimal place to mount and house a speaker.

Think I covered most things. Give me a call bud I answer 7 days a week. We can discuss options

Cheers
Chris

Cheers Chris. I didn't mention sound deadening as that was the only part I was absolutely certain on.

Telford quite a distance from me so Camper Mart is a definitate 'no' for me and you're 1.5hrs from me so quite a trek but manageable. Having slept on it, I think a setup comprising of 2 speakers per corner + sub is decent goal to aim for with the addition of more later if I fancy. That's still gonna need a 9 channel amp minimum unless I run crossovers. I have no idea about modern amps technology. Will maybe give you a call in a bit if I get a minute away from the kids!

Cheers Chris. I didn't mention sound deadening as that was the only part I was absolutely certain on.

Telford quite a distance from me so Camper Mart is a definitate 'no' for me and you're 1.5hrs from me so quite a trek but manageable. Having slept on it, I think a setup comprising of 2 speakers per corner + sub is decent goal to aim for with the addition of more later if I fancy. That's still gonna need a 9 channel amp minimum unless I run crossovers. I have no idea about modern amps technology. Will maybe give you a call in a bit if I get a minute away from the kids!
Yeah no worries @Texxaco is your neck of the woods and is one of our installs maybe worth meeting up with him and listening to his. The system is on our website it's the Hertz Harmonics 5 channel Package using a conventional amp but setup using calibration equipment.

I honestly don't think you'd need components in the rear and good quality coaxials will do the job well but certainly give me a ring mate and see just how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Agree coax in the back may not be necessary but since I have a set it seems daft not to use them if poss rather than buy more.

More thoughts/questions on this as I try to do a temporary upgrade with current kit (front components, sub, 2amps)...
How would I best wire up to amps to a standard headunit?
  1. Use rear speaker outs for mono amp - If I could get VCDS coding done to enable rear fading then I'd essentially have a volume control on the sub. I'd need a remote signal for the amps – Something like this?

2. Use something to split the front speaker outs to both subs. Is this the sort of thing I need to be looking at?
    Anything better/more appropriate/cheaper?
Could the remote out from the channel converter (option 2 ) be used to control 2 amps?
With option 2, if there isn't a proprietary sub volume remote available, how would I include a volume control on the sub?

Cheers

Last edited:
Back