Permitted Mods

DesmoDave

VIP Member
Morning all,
I recently got a Kombi, it's almost a year old and like the majority on here I 'need' to change a perfectly good van ;)
Question is what can be done without invalidating the warranty ? it's the usual things, bigger wheels, lower suspension...after looking at threads I'm guessing very little although I see almost new Leighton Vans heavily modified.
Thanks in advance :)

Changes don't just invalidate warranty as a whole, but VW will look at something you submit as a claim and will take a view as to whether your change affected the part you are claiming on.
for example; you lift or lower excessively, then after 2 years you have a driveshaft failure, VW may reject the claim as the shaft failed due to you changing the suspension.

So you have to take a view on what you do, versus the likelihood of associated failure and the cost you would face should the claim be refused.

So I have raised suspension but I think the risk is low that I would have a driveshaft failure and even if it did they are not expensive to replace.

However, I would never have my engine remapped as there are issues and costs that I would not be prepared to cover on the Engine.

Thanks Loz, sounds fair enough, didn't intend to do radical mods anyway.

Also, on top of what Loz says, bear in mind that VW now formally sell 20" wheels and Coilovers as official approved parts for T6. So, that would make squirming out of liability for mods you did like that even more difficult

What is VW’s stance on wheel spacers? Would like to fit some to bring the Devonports out of their hiding place under the wheel arches but google full of wheel bearing scare stories.

What is VW’s stance on wheel spacers? Would like to fit some to bring the Devonports out of their hiding place under the wheel arches but google full of wheel bearing scare stories.
My guess is that they would reject any claim on wheel bearings.

My guess is that they would reject any claim on wheel bearings.
Thanks Loz, I’ve been google searching today and wheel bearings crop up a lot. I asked Watfields the same question earlier and they said they are unaware of wheel bearing issues. Tempted to give them a miss

I guess if you drive the van around close to max weight and then add the extra load on the bearings by fitting spacers you may well be asking for trouble.

I guess if you drive the van around close to max weight and then add the extra load on the bearings by fitting spacers you may well be asking for trouble.
Thanks for the reply. The van is empty most of the time, only ever full when we travel to France, and even then it’s nothing heavy.

Back