Permission To Replace Wheels And Tyres

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
It's not everyday my wife approves and actually raised the question of replacing the wheels. Therefore I'm striking whilst the iron is still hot, so so speak.

I have a 2016 LWB Highline T32 with the standard alloy wheels.
I think the wheels need to be rated at 860Kg.

We've found a style we both agree on. I think the balance of comfort vs looks for me is 19" and found these DRC DMMs;
VW T5 T5.1 T6 DRC DMM Alloy Wheels 19″ Black / Polished
Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 15.35.42.png

Now, these are only rated at 825Kg. I assume the rating of the T32 860kg is the maximum load capacity of the van? Given that won't happen, (camper van no works van) then can I reduce this load rating?
What tyre sizes would you recommend? It seams they are only offered with a 245/45 profile.

Any suggestions or recommendations on where to source a wheel/ tyre package?

The van is currently riding on standard suspension, I will eventually move to changing this.

Thanks as always
Ollie.

Now, these are only rated at 825Kg. I assume the rating of the T32 860kg is the maximum load capacity of the van? Given that won't happen, (camper van no works van) then can I reduce this load rating?

The important part to this is what is stamped under your bonnet...have a look on your chassis plate, it will give numbers for the front and rear axles. if the number stamped divided by 2 is less than 825kg then your all above board, if its not then whilst they will work they will technically not be compliant so you will be on a sticky wicket in the event of vosa/insurance inspector checking over the van it will cause issues.

alternatively, I'm sure someone will know the ratings of a T32 so may be able to confirm without you lifting the bonnet.

Thanks @sparkzer - I have now checked and it is indeed 860kg, I think my question now is do I have to legally have this rated wheel for VOSA compliance?
I'm also after a recommendation on who to deal with that has the relevant knowledge.

860kg per wheel for T32. Rear axle weight is 1720 and front is 1710.

If you choose to run wheels with a lower load rating you are effectively uninsured.

Thanks @ChrisR
I need to look further afield then.........
It’s a problem all of us T32 owners face, but you may find similar wheels. Have a look at the rim style website, they consider T32 load rating and will only show you wheels that are correctly load rated.

Has anyone gone for 9" rear and 8" fronts? I did't think this was an option until now?

That would work fine as long as the offsets are ok. I run 9” front and 10” rear without problems.
Newbie question, when you refer to offsets - I assume that if these are vehicle specific on the website then there shouldn't be any issues. The rears would stick out from the van 1" more than the fronts?

Reactions: Duk
Newbie question, when you refer to offsets - I assume that if these are vehicle specific on the website then there shouldn't be any issues. The rears would stick out from the van 1" more than the fronts?
True, there shouldn’t be any issues with fit as vehicle specific on websites, but it depends how far you want to go to get whatever specific look you want.

Assuming that the hub to arch distance on the van is equal front and back and the wheel offsets are the same then the rears would sit 1/2” further out.

Also consider that some wheels styles have different load ratings depending on the diameter. I think 19" are big enough and leave a little comfort in the sidewall but I am sure some 20's come in at a higher rating than the 19's of the same style.

I think it may be an age thing but I love polished face alloys and got a set of Momo Revenge in that finish, sadly after a year the white wiggly worms are gnawing at some of the edges already.

Problem then is do you strip off the clear coat and polish the alloy from that point on or paint the wheels in a colour that compliments the van.

Could re clear the wheels after polishing the edges as it probably won't be any less durable than the original finish or replace the wheels twice a year anyway as you strive for that perfect stance.:whistle:

Momo Revenge is a nice wheel, I'm toying with fitting or selling a set in satin black :thumbsdown:

Back