Parking Sensors - audible feedback?

monsieurblack

T6 Pro
Hi all

Hopefully posting in the right place? (Wasn’t sure if it should go in the exterior/bodywork section? mods please feel free to re locate if needed)

Think I may have faulty rear parking sensors on our new (to us, 65 reg) van but don’t have anything to compare to so thought I’d ask here to see what the ‘normal’ behaviour is

My previous car, when going into reverse and starting to move the beeps would increase in frequency as you approached an obstacle until they finally became a constant beep when it’s time to stop basically :)

Seems pretty straightforward and makes sense.

With our factory fitted rear sensors on our Shuttle when engaging reverse it beeps but they don’t seem to have any correlation to the proximity of any obstacle, so basically seem pretty pointless They never become constant and don’t appear to alter when getting closer to things?

In addition/related to that we also don’t get any visual feedback on the stereo (parking pilot) and couldn’t seem to find any setting to enable this? I do think this may well be because we’ve got a lower end head unit? Is anyone able to confirm if we should be getting visuals on the screen when reversing please? We have the low end small screen stereo, basic job with no CarPlay or anything like that :/

Any info regarding the sensor beeps would be greatly appreciated please, also curious about the parking pilot on our existing stereo too but as I want a CarPlay compatible head unit eventually that’ll be sorted soon enough I hope.

Thanks

My parking sensors front and rear will beep with increasing speed as they get nearer to an obstacle until they go constant. I also had the Parkpilot graphics on my bottom of the range stereo so there is definitely something going wrong with yours. I now have a Kenwood 8019 with Carplay and get the same Parkpilot graphics on that too.

Thanks mate

Exactly how I imagined it’d be regarding beeps and just how it was in my car/is in my wife’s.

Think I’ll have to get it sorted as pretty useless as it stands right now :(

Having said that, as I want a newCarPlay head unit and possibly a rear reversing camera adding then probably best to get it sorted at the same time.

Definitely annoying to put up with for now though.

Good morning. Just a thought but does the van have a tow bar fitted? If it has and a trailer is connected (or the connections are shorted) it will disable the sensors. I get a picture of a van with a trailer on my Discover Media head unit in this case but I am not sure how a lower spec head unit might display this, if at all.

Hi all

Hopefully posting in the right place? (Wasn’t sure if it should go in the exterior/bodywork section? mods please feel free to re locate if needed)

Think I may have faulty rear parking sensors on our new (to us, 65 reg) van but don’t have anything to compare to so thought I’d ask here to see what the ‘normal’ behaviour is

My previous car, when going into reverse and starting to move the beeps would increase in frequency as you approached an obstacle until they finally became a constant beep when it’s time to stop basically :)

Seems pretty straightforward and makes sense.

With our factory fitted rear sensors on our Shuttle when engaging reverse it beeps but they don’t seem to have any correlation to the proximity of any obstacle, so basically seem pretty pointless They never become constant and don’t appear to alter when getting closer to things?

In addition/related to that we also don’t get any visual feedback on the stereo (parking pilot) and couldn’t seem to find any setting to enable this? I do think this may well be because we’ve got a lower end head unit? Is anyone able to confirm if we should be getting visuals on the screen when reversing please? We have the low end small screen stereo, basic job with no CarPlay or anything like that :/

Any info regarding the sensor beeps would be greatly appreciated please, also curious about the parking pilot on our existing stereo too but as I want a CarPlay compatible head unit eventually that’ll be sorted soon enough I hope.

Thanks

they may be not factory sensors, even though they look like them , as many shuttles do not have them, a few photos will conform, especially behind the bumper,

they also display on the basic headunit..

We can help you regards to a Apple CarPlay headunit and sensors ..

Thanks both.

The van did actually have a tow bar fitted prior to us buying come to think of it.

I think I might take a picture or two and pop it up here to see if you more knowledgeable lot can shed any additional light.

Good point about the sensors possibly not being factory fitted. Thanks Jason. Again, I’ll get a picture or two up here and see what you think if that’s OK?

also, appreciate the offer to help, think I might have to take you up on that at some point!

Right then, as promised some (pretty awful) pictures.

Not sure if the one of the sensor is enough or if getting the whole rear bumper would help?

As you can see they left the towing 'gubbings' (technical term!) in place in case we ever wanted to use it, pretty unlikely but guess all the hardware is there now. Definitely now wondering if this has caused it to trip out perhaps? Not sure of a video of up in the drivers seat would be beneficial, but as described, you put it into reverse and it beeps but the frequency etc just doesn't correlate with the proximity to obstacles.

Looks like I'll just have to get it all sorted and do so in one go, with these sensors getting fixed, possibly also adding in a rear camera and then CarPlay head unit too. Is it possible/easy for after market front parking sensors to be fitted to an ABT front end?, or is that opening up a bit of a can of worms?

pic1.pngpic2.pngpic3.png

Last edited:
they are not factory sensors, look similar to the cobra ones which are programmable but you will need to locate the control module for them to start.

what towbar wiring is it?

Ah OK, appreciate you spotting it, definitely good to know they’re not ‘stock’ as it were.

Literally got no idea what I’d be looking for regarding a control module unfortunately :/ Same with the tow bar wiring too.

I’ll try and look under the rear of the van again tomorrow and see if I can get a better picture maybe if that’ll help maybe?

it’s feeling more and more like it might be a job for someone who knows what they’re doing ha ha! Guess I’d get the other bits I want doing done at the same time so wouldn’t be a bad thing

Right, managed to squeeze under the van to take a look and I think this might have something to do with the sensors not working... gggrrr

pic1.png

Could barely get my fingers under to locate cable so not sure how I'll have the room to be able to fix. Will look at getting touch with who we bought it off and see if they'll take a look. Frustrating as I feel like it must have been done when they put the tow bar away before they delivered it, rather than it just coming undone :/

Right, managed to squeeze under the van to take a look and I think this might have something to do with the sensors not working... gggrrr

View attachment 104338

Could barely get my fingers under to locate cable so not sure how I'll have the room to be able to fix. Will look at getting touch with who we bought it off and see if they'll take a look. Frustrating as I feel like it must have been done when they put the tow bar away before they delivered it, rather than it just coming undone :/
The rear bumper comes off easy, best way to do any work

Back