Oil leak investigation - What to do?

Paddy00000

Hi,

I've had my T6 204 DSG van now for just short of 6 months, I bought it at 3 years old from a reputable converter. The van went in for a service on Monday and during the usual investigation video that they do at VW they identified evidence of an oil leak around the sump area. To determine the cause of the leak, VW say they will need to remove the gearbox which means that the investigation will cost a minimum of £490. Fixing the leak I hope will be covered by the 12 month mechanical breakdown warrantly the van was supplied with. I'm feeling a bit hard done to as the van has been parked on my droive for most of the last 6 months due to Covid and I'm thinking that I should go back to the point of sale and ask them to stand the cost of the investigation. I suppose I have 2 question;

1. Does the cost of investigation seem appropriate for the scale of the investigation job?
2. Am I being unreasonable to expect the company I bought it from to foot the bill for the investigation work?

As always, your expert feedback is very much appreciated.

Paddy

There is a good chance that it is the crankshaft oil seal which requires replacement (common issue) and requires the gearbox removal anyway.
Surely the investigation is part of the repair if it is the crankshaft oil seal.

I have minor oil leaks from the crank pulley end and the flywheel end on my 204 DSG 2018 PV. Dealer has been evasive, and deferred investigation until next service. I'll be sure to get that in under manufacturer warranty. There's lots of threads on here about oil leaks down the back of the flywheel due to sealing on the bolts. This is the gearbox removal gig. Not sure where you go legally, Google is your friend with regards to the fault which is reasonably common. Outside manufacturer new vehicle warranties is a bit stinky. I'm on a VW 'R' forum where a fella bought a VW Approved used, with a warranty that didn't cover a wiring loom issue that cost him dear. Sorry can't be more help.

Back