Oil Filter Housing Plastic Drain Plug Rounded

1Pearman

T6 Pro
Hi guys,
Done an oil change on my 2016 van and the plastic drain plug in the bottom of the oil filter housing has been done up too tight by the garage and I can't get it off. Had to drop the filter housing without draining it which was messy!! The plastic edges of the 13mm nut have rounded off. Does anybody know if this part is available as a spare and what the PN is? I'll be able to get it off the next time I do an oil change but won't be able to reuse it. Don't want to have to buy the whole oil cooler/filter housing assembly.

1672738086904.png
Cheers

Last edited:
There's a drainplug on the oil filter housing !?!? :rolleyes:

Well I never..... Everyday is a school day. Probably why I make such a mess on oil changes then.....:oops:

check this out:

page: 90 onwards

1672764585299.png

+++

1672764649622.png

Yeah, l don’t know why but when I was messing about trying to get it off something in my brain was telling me a 12 point socket would have more engagement and be the best option on the plastic, but as you’ve said and as I’ve subsequently discovered the 6 sides socket is a much better bet to not round off the plastic nut. That’s my first point of call to get it off along with a small impact driver.

check this out:

page: 90 onwards

View attachment 183995

+++

View attachment 183996
Oh..... I've just realised what the small O ring you get with the new oil filter is for!! This! I have dozens of them lying around unused... I always thought it would make a rubbish sump plug washer, and never knew why they kept including them....

Mine is also rounded off, last oil change it was nipped up but not excessively tight. I didn't bother trying to remove it this time round.

I did a mini oil change last week and they have the same type of oil filter also by Mahle. Theirs has a torx style plastic plug which is so much more reliable. With every replacement oil filter you also get a replacement oil filter drain plug too just in case, and that’s will all brands of filter even the cheap ones.

Same here. Last garage (indie) rounded the 13mm plastic fitting on the drain plug. I got it off with difficulty and can fit it manually but I want to torque it correctly to 25nm.
Part number wht 005 610.
Can anyone on here sell me one or tell me where I can get it. Failing that the whole thing (End cap WHT 005 610 433 A). They had overtightened everything at the last service. Don't think they know what a torque wrench is.
The other job they did was the pollen filter which was not fitted properly.
This is why I decided to service the van myself...just can't trust some garages.

Back