Off grid eBike charging

Farnorthsurfer

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Have just bought an eBike for the Boss and am wondering if it’s possible to get a 12dc charger for the Bosch Gen 4 motor and battery. Tried a lot of searches on Google and it looks like Bosch used to have a car charger but it’s discontinued.
Anyone done this for the van? I have a 100ah Lithium fitted and a 160w solar so it would be nice to be able to charge the bike without an inverter making things less efficient.

Thanks, I had found that link but it’s from 2015 and dead ends on the shop site. Still checking eBay but thought someone might have some experience or alternatives.
Might just be a case of using EHU on sites and forgetting about charging it off grid.

Have just bought an eBike for the Boss and am wondering if it’s possible to get a 12dc charger for the Bosch Gen 4 motor and battery. Tried a lot of searches on Google and it looks like Bosch used to have a car charger but it’s discontinued.

There's one on ebay atm, seems pricey though

Yes, shame its so expensive! Makes much more sense from an efficiency point of view to go from 12V DC to 36v DC rather than 12V DC to 230V AC and then 230V AC to 36V DC.

Not sure why Bosch stopped selling them. I am also not sure if this listing is for a genuine Bosch device or a copy. The listing appears to come and go depending on availability of supplies. :unsure:

Reading up on eBike forums the problem with the travel charger seems to be the capacity of ordinary car batteries and time it takes to get a charge into the bike battery with the alternator running. Even with a good lithium/solar system it might be quite an ask to get regular charges off grid. The bike battery is a Bosch 625. I shall look at some specs.

Back