Number of seats vs. seat belts

CamperBadger

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello,

A legal question.

I have a T6 with two belted seats in the rear (the bed bench).

I realise it is very ill-advised to carry three passengers on this bench as one would be without a seatbelt.

But is it illegal?

CB

As the driver, you are responsible for ensuring anyone under 14 complies with seatbelt laws, Beyond that age, the occupant is legally responsible for their own compliance. However, it isn't a legal requirement to wear a seatbelt if there isn't one fitted for the seat you're sat in, so for you, it's an issue of safety rather than of legality.

I believe also in motorcaravans the seats used underway need to be rated as safe for that use. In some rail systems this means a specific position, even if others are available when parked up on a campsite.

You'd need to check with your specific seat. If it's only designed for 2 while travelling then you may be in a difficult position if you use it for 3.

You need also to consider how many seats your insurance company believes you have, if carrying more than declared invalidates your insurance then it may become a legal matter.

What does it say on your V5? Mine is also a camper with two seat bed. And my V5 says 5 seats as I have the double passenger seat still. I would imagine that having more than that in it would be breaking the law. This is just me thinking out loud, I know nothing.....

What does it say on your V5? Mine is also a camper with two seat bed. And my V5 says 5 seats as I have the double passenger seat still. I would imagine that having more than that in it would be breaking the law. This is just me thinking out loud, I know nothing.....
AFAIK, it's a "construction and use" offence (CU50 - 3 to 6 points) to carry more passengers than you have seats for.

Back