number of gas hobs required for campervan classification

tolbot boulton

Hi,

starting the interior and have been chatting to a company regarding the cabinets. one item brought up was the number of gas rings required for campervan classification, they said it had to be 2 rings, but looking on the 'gov.uk' requirements it doesn't mention the number required. As we wont be cooking as such in the van apart from making brews I was going to go with the small 'smev 8821' single hob and sink.

Have any of you guys fitted one of these and been knocked back?

Isnt the Cali Beach marketed as a camper, even though it has no hob at all?

cheers both of you.
This is what is confusing, as the guidelines does say 2 rings but the cali has nothing!

I think a bit more digging then a toss of a coin for 1 or 2 rings.

Maybe throw the question back to them with your findings on the different examples, let them do the digging .

Should be two but I think they are a bit slack. The cali’s aren’t converted so possibly a different rule for them.

To the op who is considering one hob, even though you personally only want one, I reckon the majority of people who buy a campervan will want two. It will become easier to sell. I didn’t want a sink in my campervan but someone wouldn’t buy my old one as it didn’t have one. I have put one in this conversion. I personally wouldn’t buy a van with only one hob

If having 2 I would have 1 gas and one induction.

@Loz do the induction hobs use a lot of power?
There are some small ones, but as Polzy just said for hookup use.

There was photo of a very nice single built-in one on one of our Oz members posts recently.

I think you’ll struggle off grid.
We free camp a lot so we’ve become pretty good at conserving electricity.
I’d definitely go dual gas hob with a portable one for cooking outside.

If you're taking the time to fit a gas hob, why not have two????? Seems a bit odd to have the extra expense and hassle of a hob you can only use when hooked up. Is it any better than a gas hob?

At the end of the day you're in a van, gas has been the choice for many years for a reason.

Back