Now have your van siezed!

Sabre

VIP Member
T6 Legend
North Wales Live: Motorhomes, campervans and caravans could be seized if owners park up overnight.

Think that's a bit harsh. And a little closed minded to those that come out to spend in the shops, restaurants and pubs!

This petition is opposing it, very simple process to ‘sign’ the petition.

North Wales Live: Motorhomes, campervans and caravans could be seized if owners park up overnight.

Think that's a bit harsh. And a little closed minded to those that come out to spend in the shops, restaurants and pubs!
I don't pretend to know the thinking behind this legislation but I guess it's aimed at those who turn up in a group of 4 or more vans, towing their home, parking on private or public land without consent, then leave a trail of destruction, crime and mess behind, intimidating and threatening anybody who complains.
I've seen small businesses shut down for weeks by these types deciding that their car park would be a good place to camp, similarly I've seen football club pitches and parks taken over by these people, they don't crap in their caravans...... Police were powerless to act because it was a civil matter.
If the legislation is passed I hope Police will use it appropriately, i.e. only where it is in the interest of the local community to do so, such as the circumstances I described.

I don't pretend to know the thinking behind this legislation but I guess it's aimed at those who turn up in a group of 4 or more vans, towing their home, parking on private or public land without consent, then leave a trail of destruction, crime and mess behind, intimidating and threatening anybody who complains.
I've seen small businesses shut down for weeks by these types deciding that their car park would be a good place to camp, similarly I've seen football club pitches and parks taken over by these people, they don't crap in their caravans...... Police were powerless to act because it was a civil matter.
If the legislation is passed I hope Police will use it appropriately, i.e. only where it is in the interest of the local community to do so, such as the circumstances I described.
I cannot agree more.......I too have seen the devastation caused to local public parks and open spaces by these non-fee paying members of the caravan club supported by liberal do-gooders.

So are they going to seize HGVs when the driver stops for his night rest in a layby! I guess not.

I believe that this legislation is aimed at those who take over areas to camp without the owner's consent.

I agree on the scumbag element needing sorting out but it could easily be the thin end of the wedge. I can remember when it was legal for 20+ people to meet outdoors and dance, now it maybe not depending on the type of music.

I agree on the scumbag element needing sorting out but it could easily be the thin end of the wedge. I can remember when it was legal for 20+ people to meet outdoors and dance, now it maybe not depending on the type of music.
The key to this is the way it is implemented, if it is used by Police in a common sense way it won't be a problem for the decent majority of people, and it should mean an end to the harm caused by illegal encampments.
The wording is also key - arrests could be made and vehicles seized if you do not move when asked to do so by Police.
It seems likely to me that any sane person parked overnight on somebody else's property without permission, or on public land where overnight stays are not allowed, when asked to leave by Police, they would simply leave, after all they are already in breach of a law, albeit civil law.
If everybody was decent this law wouldn't be needed, sadly as always the minority spoil it for the majority.

I can remember when it was legal for 20+ people to meet outdoors and dance, now it maybe not depending on the type of music.
The organiser of the dance band playing outdoors at The Scoop on the London South Bank last night certainly considered dancing to be illegal. You were even berated if you were standing up.

Sorry off-topic other than to show how differently people can interpret 'the rules'.

The legislation at first glance looks like a Multi-Tool, Screwdriver, Hammer, something that covers every eventuality. In reality at some stage it should get sub or sectioned into specifics. But as is, have signed the petition. It does need debating in Parliament and that means another 79,000 signatures.

Back