North East Pop top/ Elevating Roof Companies

T6VanFam

Hi all,

I live in Newcastle and am looking to get a pop top/ elevating roof with bedroom fitted to my T6.

I was hoping that anyone who has had one fitted in or around the north east would be able to recommend a good fitter/ model or share their experiences to help me narrow the field down.
I don't mind travelling further a field but would prefer to stay up north if i can.

I would much prefer to got to a recommended fitter/ supplier than take a punt on someone i haven't had any experience with and I'm always skeptical of online reviews.

Cheers Chaps.

I have not used them but have seen the work they do and it looks ok.
Rouge one campers on the Tyne tunnel trading estate, go and have a look.
You could also look at Southlands on the Foxhunter estate.

Last edited:
I have not used them but have seen the work they do and it looks ok.
Rouge one campers on the Tyne tunnel trading estate, go and have a look.
You could also look at Southlands on the Foxhunter estate.
I'm very close to Southlands so might pop down there after xmas to speak with someone. - cheers

Best way to do it would be to find the roof you want by looking at the specification for each, then find a approved fitter nearby. One persons preferred fitter may fit a roof you might not like for example.

The popular ones, like Jerba, you won't get in 2021 - last time i spoke to them in October 2020 they were fully booked for the next year until Oct 2021

In the end we went with Skyline. Skyline's own North branch are based in Newcastle and were booked up until end January 2021 when I spoke to them in November. I would give them a shout and see what their availability is now but again, check the spec and features of the Skyline roofs to see if its for you to start with.

Best way to do it would be to find the roof you want by looking at the specification for each, then find a approved fitter nearby. One persons preferred fitter may fit a roof you might not like for example.

The popular ones, like Jerba, you won't get in 2021 - last time i spoke to them in October 2020 they were fully booked for the next year until Oct 2021

In the end we went with Skyline. Skyline's own North branch are based in Newcastle and were booked up until end January 2021 when I spoke to them in November. I would give them a shout and see what their availability is now but again, check the spec and features of the Skyline roofs to see if its for you to start with.
Cheers, I've been on the phone with Michael at Skyline today and think im leaning towards them now. the roof looks great from the photos and videos I've seen and i love the fact you can get the sliding panel to cover the front.
looking at middle of March for the next available booking which is decent and probably wont be going anywhere until after then with this current lockdown.
Only thing they cant help with is the 240 hook up as this isnt something they do, so will have to go elsewhere for that.

Any pics of your roof? which model you go for?

I have a Skyline Aurora. We had a few teething troubles as it was one of the first one's they made, but everything got sorted out in the end (though covid delayed things a lot)
I went for the Aurora because it has the mechanical lock down catches rather than straps, and I like the material they use for the canvas sides, waterproof, taped seams and thick unlike the California which is thinner and more see through for light transmission.
I requested their old shape windows (squared off top on the front and wedge shaped on the sides) and had an option of a mesh window on the front one outside the clear vinyl one . A lot of people I talked to at shows made mention of the fact that as soon as the sun was up and on the roof, it got warm in there, so a third mesh window should allow heat to escape better when they are opened up to the breeze but still keep flies and larger bugs out.
Roof fitting.jpg
As for 240V hook up, how about doing what I did and put it under the rear lights..
EHU.jpg

I have a Skyline Aurora. We had a few teething troubles as it was one of the first one's they made, but everything got sorted out in the end (though covid delayed things a lot)
I went for the Aurora because it has the mechanical lock down catches rather than straps, and I like the material they use for the canvas sides, waterproof, taped seams and thick unlike the California which is thinner and more see through for light transmission.
I requested their old shape windows (squared off top on the front and wedge shaped on the sides) and had an option of a mesh window on the front one outside the clear vinyl one . A lot of people I talked to at shows made mention of the fact that as soon as the sun was up and on the roof, it got warm in there, so a third mesh window should allow heat to escape better when they are opened up to the breeze but still keep flies and larger bugs out.
View attachment 98455
As for 240V hook up, how about doing what I did and put it under the rear lights..
View attachment 98456
That looks great.
Yeah the mechanical latches were another attraction for me. They look a sleeker, robust and modern upgrade compared to the straps.
Glad they sorted out the teething issues for you aswell.

Good suggestion for the hook up. Can I ask where you went for that? Assuming you are local to the North East?

Cheers

Did it myself, I have LPG (underslung tank) and Diesel (separate tank for diesel heater) fillers on the other side.
lpg.jpg

Any pics of your roof? which model you go for?

We've ordered the standard Skyline LWB roof, Scenic canvas upgrade, bifod bed with the sliding cover. Roof hasn't been fitted yet, its sitting on a rack in the converters garage so should be on next week they said.

Don't really mind the straps - it's a basic and proven way to know your roof is secure. My ownly complaint with straps is they look pretty unsightly or dangle down but the sliding cab cover hides that away nicely :thumbsup:

We've ordered the standard Skyline LWB roof, Scenic canvas upgrade, bifod bed with the sliding cover. Roof hasn't been fitted yet, its sitting on a rack in the converters garage so should be on next week they said.

Don't really mind the straps - it's a basic and proven way to know your roof is secure. My ownly complaint with straps is they look pretty unsightly or dangle down but the sliding cab cover hides that away nicely :thumbsup:
Thats mint, I'm just waiting on my final quote to come back and should hopefully get it booked in for mid March.
Going for the Aroura, with sliding panel and standard bed (mines a kombi van with and exploria kombi bed in the back)

Im now toying with what awning rail I want. Wouldnt mind a cassette awning for the day trips, but will be attaching a driveaway awning for longer stays and I hear you get water in-between the awning and bracket on the cassette type, so may just go with the reimo rail...... desicions desicions

Had my top put on by Skyline in Chester le Street , last May.
65 plate LWB T6 , black , stnd canvas in red , with bifold bed and sliding front cover, they reset my roof rails on top.
Very happy with it.
Jeff

Back