Normandy Beaches Camping

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Can anybody recommend a decent camp site near (or maybe even overlooking) one of the Normandy beaches for late May / early June? I thought I’d found a goodun in Camping Omaha Beach but my wife quickly vetoed it after reading some fairly recent reviews with (very) critical comments about the hygiene in washing and toilet facilities. She can put up with the usual lack of toilet paper, soap or even toilet seats but draws the line when the facilities are just plain dirty. EHU and room for an awning would be nice but the former in particular might not be necessary as I’m hoping to have sorted out a 160W solar panel by then. Any advice or other suggestions about the area would be much appreciated. Cheers.

We stayed at a campsite in the middle of Aromanche for D-day 75, good facilities, and only a 2 minute walk from the beach. Expect anything you are looking to get booked up quickly. We have booked a house in Aromanche this year.

If you want the campsite details I can forward

we were there last year.
There is a campsite very close to Ouistreham Port which is the Eastern edge of Sword Beach.
Camping Riva Bella Seasonova if I remember.
We cycled along the canal to Pegasus Bridge which is awesome.
Don't be put off by the squatters at the roundabout near campsite!!
Big pitches and nice pool area.

We cycled to Pegasus Bridge too last year for our charity bike ride- maybe we passed you, you wouldn’t have missed us - Dads army on £25 bikes.
And we also stayed at the campsite on the last night, with the squatters by the bonfire, just preferred the atmosphere in Arromanche.

we started off at the Eastern edge and made our way along all the beaches over 2 weeks
ending in St Malo.
Very poignant thoughts at all the beaches and so emotive.
Bayeux campsite was also very good and able to walk into town - lots to do.
The British cemetery was very emotional on the outskirts of the town.

We stayed here - I booked through another website but can't find it now. Chateau de Martragny - The Camping and Caravanning Club
Its a good location kinda in the middle of everywhere you want to go. But its also in the middle of nowhere so you have to drive to everything. Anyway it had good facilties, clean/tidy and relatively quiet. Its got a courtyard with a restaurant and bar - but it was bloody busy when we went. Staff did their best but we run ragged.

I was advised to start Normandy with to the Caen Museum - it was great advice but be warned you easily can loose 3+ hours here but it was well worth it. (The museum)

Apologies for not saying it earlier but thanks to all who responded to my original post. There's some food for thought there and I really need to get my rear end in gear and make some bookings - just got to wait for the Mrs to sort out her leave dates before I can start planning properly! Thanks again.

We stayed at Camping Omaha Beach in Vierville for 20 odd years until it changed hands. It was always “basic” but you won’t find a better location anywhere on the D-Day coast. Wherever you go on the Normandy coast, expect to pay top money for a small pitch. We now use Camping Le Blanche Nef in Barfleur. It’s a Camping municipal but in a great location with spotless modern facilities. It’s on the edge of the D-Day area, but still has loads of Atlantic Wall fortifications, it’s a 5 minute walk into Barfleur with its beautiful harbour/restaurants etc. We’ll be there around first week in July.
Wherever you decide, booking is essential, it gets VERY busy.

Back