Normandy battlefield tour.....

Sackmycook

Ex-owner
T6 Legend
So, I am changing jobs in September and have a late summer holiday booked for the South of France for the last 2 weeks in August. Fortunately, I have been granted 2 bonus weeks at the start of August by SWMBO to do something I've always hankered after....
A trip to Normandy to see the landing beaches and battle sites....

Looking for recommendations for what to see, where to stay etc.
Definatly want to see Pegasus Bridge and Omaha Beach.....

The Blockhaus d'Eperleques was interesting, as was the La Coupole centre d'histoire.
Both a bit further inland but worth a visit.

Watten and St Omer areas north east of the A26.
My favourite first night stop is in Ypres, an hour's drive (60 miles) from the Chunnel, usually stay at the Camping Jeugstadion, and a walk into town for the Last Post is a must do for any battlefield history enthusiast.
Other things of interest, Vimy Ridge Visitor Centre and tunnels, Vimy Memorial, the Beaumont Hamel Newfoundland Memorial and the Lochnagar Crater (though these are all First World War sites)
St Symphorien Military Cemetery is a must do if you can find the time, the first and last soldiers killed in the first world war are both buried here.
Further places to go (maybe on other trips) the Douaumont Ossuary is a sobering site to visit, and the batteries around Verdun can be interesting, I had a good nose around the Fort de Regret while I was there (didn't see the 'Keep Out' signs officer)

Last edited:
Looking more at the Normanandy D day sites. Did the battlefield tour of Ypres and Belgium at school many moons ago and it still resonates. Last post at Ypres is very poignant

Watten and St Omer areas north east of the A26.
My favourite first night stop is in Ypres, an hour's drive (60 miles) from the Chunnel, usually stay at the Camping Jeugstadion, and a walk into town for the Last Post is a must do for any battlefield history enthusiast.
Other things of interest, Vimy Ridge Visitor Centre and tunnels, Vimy Memorial, the Beaumont Hamel Newfoundland Memorial and the Lochnagar Crater (though these are all First World War sites)
St Symphorien Military Cemetery is a must do if you can find the time, the first and last soldiers killed in the first world war are both buried here.
Further places to go (maybe on other trips) the Douaumont Ossuary is a sobering site to visit, and the batteries around Verdun can be interesting, I had a good nose around the Fort de Regret while I was there (didn't see the 'Keep Out' signs officer)
Great itinerary there

We spent around 25 years holidaying in Normandy, you can more or less stick a pin in anywhere from Cherbourg to Le Havre & find DDay relics. A sunset walk from Vierville Sur Mer to Saint Laurent along Omaha beach is special, especially if it coincides with low tide.
As mentioned the American cemetery at Colleville is a must see, but the German cemetery at La Cambe is very moving. A fraction of the size of the American cemetery but 3 times more bodies, and non of the triumphalism. The British cemetery at Bayeux & Bayeux itself is a must see. If you fancy a break from D Day stuff, visit StVaast for oysters & Napoleonic fortifications on Tatihou. Barfleur is a beautiful place for a walk & food. The Moules Frites at the Cafe du Port are worth the visit. The municipal campsite, Camping Blanche Nef is a gem, say hello to Ludo the manager.
I could go on, it’s a fantastic stretch of coast.

We spent around 25 years holidaying in Normandy, you can more or less stick a pin in anywhere from Cherbourg to Le Havre & find DDay relics. A sunset walk from Vierville Sur Mer to Saint Laurent along Omaha beach is special, especially if it coincides with low tide.
As mentioned the American cemetery at Colleville is a must see, but the German cemetery at La Cambe is very moving. A fraction of the size of the American cemetery but 3 times more bodies, and non of the triumphalism. The British cemetery at Bayeux & Bayeux itself is a must see. If you fancy a break from D Day stuff, visit StVaast for oysters & Napoleonic fortifications on Tatihou. Barfleur is a beautiful place for a walk & food. The Moules Frites at the Cafe du Port are worth the visit. The municipal campsite, Camping Blanche Nef is a gem, say hello to Ludo the manager.
I could go on, it’s a fantastic stretch of coast.
Some really good suggestions there, thanks. Will be taking my bike so hope to get some decent rides in too from camp sites.

If anyone ever fancies a guided tour then I can recommend Anglian Battlefield Tours. Went away with them a few years back and they were great

The final battle of the Normandy campaign.
Memorial de Montormel, Les Hayettes, MontOrmel, France well worth a visit and a very pleasant run out.

Back