Noco Genius 10 not working correctly

right then . . . next test.

Victron 15A BSC . . . same setup and test . . . just different charger.

I've swapped over to the second battery in the solar bank, as its the same and fully charged already - so save the 10+ hours it will take to charge up the other battery that is now 10v and flat.

ill fully 100% top up that battery with the Victron charger until it goes into float mode.

ill then that the load (pump) - then run the same test as above.

this is the charger.

1626883197253.png

this is the charger readout . .

1626883219568.png

and this is the BM2 readout now have moved over to the second battery. . .

1626883256184.png
1626883272977.png

tbc . . .

charger is in float mode . .

1626883829097.png

BM2 shows voltage leaved out for Float . .

1626883842313.png

ill start the load now and see what happens.

1626883868734.png

Notes:

The NOCO is a 10A smart charger - The Victron is a 15A smart charger.

The Victron can be programmed via the APP to tweek the charge profiles. - The NOCO can-not.

TBC

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
isnt that an AGM battery? . . .

is so then the second "AGM" profile would be better suited ( slightly higher charge voltage )

edit:

just checked - no its a standard lead acid. ( SLA )

so that's the correct profile . .

View attachment 124362

12V 110L Low height Xplorer dual-purpose flooded lead-acid battery for multipurpose leisure use

Features

• Low-height (suitable for installation in applications with limited battery box height, eg. campervans and motorhomes)

• Wet Flooded technology (tried & tested)

• Power demand level of intended application: Low – Medium (occasional, light, casual usage)

Flooded serviceable batteries are the traditional, wet-cell, lead-acid choice; the technology has been used in a wide variety of applications for decades.
Yeah its a standard SLA

right then . . . next test.

Victron 15A BSC . . . same setup and test . . . just different charger.

I've swapped over to the second battery in the solar bank, as its the same and fully charged already - so save the 10+ hours it will take to charge up the other battery that is now 10v and flat.

ill fully 100% top up that battery with the Victron charger until it goes into float mode.

ill then that the load (pump) - then run the same test as above.

this is the charger.

View attachment 124408

this is the charger readout . .

View attachment 124409

and this is the BM2 readout now have moved over to the second battery. . .

View attachment 124410
View attachment 124411

tbc . . .

charger is in float mode . .

View attachment 124412

BM2 shows voltage leaved out for Float . .

View attachment 124413

ill start the load now and see what happens.

View attachment 124414

Notes:

The NOCO is a 10A smart charger - The Victron is a 15A smart charger.

The Victron can be programmed via the APP to tweek the charge profiles. - The NOCO can-not.

TBC
Based on this already i think i will be getting rid of noco and swapping to victron! Dont think i can be bothered turning chargers on and off all the time!
thanks again for the testing @Dellmassive

Based on this already i think i will be getting rid of noco and swapping to victron! Dont think i can be bothered turning chargers on and off all the time!
thanks again for the testing @Dellmassive
I had exactly the same scenario with a lithium battery & Optimate “smart” charger. The charger performs several diagnostic tests in the battery to see if it’s good to charge or not. If you have a load on the battery whilst the charger is doing its diagnostic cycle, it throws a “bad battery” error & shuts down. Good old Victron came to the rescue in the shape of the Bluesmart IP22 15A charger. Works perfectly, personally I wouldn’t fit anything but Victron kit in the future.

Last edited:
update. . .

its the following morning...

The Victron has gone through Bulk, absorb, Float . . . and is now in storage mode.

1626930716159.png

it delivering around 3.5A to the battery, which is now effectivly running the load - (Pump)

1626930788794.png

the BM2 plot shows a marked difference from the NOCO.

1600hrs charger connected. - Bulk (14.2v)
1645hrs charger into absorb (13.6v)
1715hrs charge into float (13.2v)
2100hrs charger into storage + supplying the loads (13.0v)

1626930825060.png
1626930843028.png

tbc,

That‘s what we see from the Victron in our van when we are on hookup. It just sits there powering the various devices in the van.

Pete

All looks very promising for the victron unit then. I best get the credit card out lol

i noticed in one of the replies @Dellmassive you state you can adjust the charging profiles on the victron, is that easy to do or for my sla is it not worth it and just plug & play.

thanks

All looks very promising for the victron unit then. I best get the credit card out lol

i noticed in one of the replies @Dellmassive you state you can adjust the charging profiles on the victron, is that easy to do or for my sla is it not worth it and just plug & play.

thanks
They plug and play.

Very easy to control via the APP.

Download "victron conect" from your App store... they have demo files you can play with.

It's great to see visually what's actually happening with these chargers. The Viltron is more expensive but not by much and it does deliver 50% more power than the noco g10, works better for camping on hookup and works the same when using it as a normal charger. I'm not desperate for one as I don't use hookup yet but It's on my shopping list waiting for an amazon offer nearer the £100 mark. Cheers @Dellmassive.

I see Victron do a 17A charger that is a bit cheaper than their regular 15A charger, seems to still be 'smart' but has less LED's on the box, wonder if it will do the same thing?

Cheapest I've found it is £118

Euro plug but I would change it for a C14 plug anyway to suit my van outlets

Last edited:
The BSC are the Blue Smart Charger range.

They are Ip65 and shower proof, they are bluetooth and come in 5A to 15A power range.

The IP22 range are ment for indoors, they have cooling fans and a slient night mode. They are bluetooth and the new V2 HW version cones with VE direct intergration..

They range up to 30A ish.

The 17A listed above is directed at the Marine boat market.... i havent got one of those....

But have got the other 2 types.

I see Victron do a 17A charger that is a bit cheaper than their regular 15A charger, seems to still be 'smart' but has less LED's on the box, wonder if it will do the same thing?

Looks like the only difference apart from it being waterproof is no button to select modes so you have to use the app to do that and it's slightly more powerful. The mode button wouldn't bother me as once it's installed it's pretty much set and forget. Would need to ensure it does support lithium which it looks like it should. Does look a good option. Still only gonna buy at £100 tho :laugh:

All the chargers are listed on the APP....

Free demo files to play with...

Screenshot_20210722-123246.jpgScreenshot_20210722-123210.jpgScreenshot_20210722-123157.jpgScreenshot_20210722-123148.jpgScreenshot_20210722-123140.jpgScreenshot_20210722-123126.jpgScreenshot_20210722-123133.jpg

I'm not too surprised the NOCO doesn't function very well as a combined charger and power supply. It's not really marketed for that kind of camper/boat/motorhome application, more as a standard battery charger. Having said that, it is a quality charger so maybe they could tweak the firmware to work in that application.

The BSC are the Blue Smart Charger range.

They are Ip65 and shower proof, they are bluetooth and come in 5A to 15A power range.

The IP22 range are ment for indoors, they have cooling fans and a slient night mode. They are bluetooth and the new V2 HW version cones with VE direct intergration..

They range up to 30A ish.

The 17A listed above is directed at the Marine boat market.... i havent got one of those....

But have got the other 2 types.
im going to get the 15A one ordered today :)

ok. . . . its the end of another day at work and time to check-in on the charger. . .

its still in storage mode . .

1626970502613.png

its still delivering around 3A that is running the load (pump)

1626970522247.png

and the voltage has been constant . . . not cycling like the NOCO was doing.

1626970551764.png

++++

it seems that the Victron will run run like this for ever . . ?

so its time to upset the flow. . . at what point will it restart its cycle?

well lets see.

i decided to add some more load. . . i plugged in a dehumidifier in (on fan only mode).

1626970708967.png

this took the load up to 7.5A - half the rated 15A of the charger . .

1626970738270.png

but the charger sat there very happy . . . still in storage mode . . .

so now i threw the big guns at it . . . i switched on the compressor side of the dehumidifier on.. .

The inverter started beeping the overload warning . . . the compressor spooled up.

we were now pulling the full 15A from the charger . . .

1626970925440.png

which now caused the battery voltage to drop slightly due to the current flow . . down to around 11.9v under load.

1626970981305.png

at this point the charger moved over to bulk mode and started a new charge cycle . . . . back to 14.6v bulk charge.

you can see the change here . . .

1626971037857.png

and here:

1626971050897.png

so there we go . .

we have the data.

the Victron works much better at Charging + running Loads than the NOCO.

Back