No power after potentially flat battery

Hi all,

We have a 2018 T6 startline, converted to a camper.

On Tuesday, 22nd, my partner drove it to pick up a turkey and returned no issues, she said it started fine and nothing seemed off. Yesterday, 26th, we went to use it to take the dog for a walk and it was completely dead. The key buttons did nothing, it had unlocked itself and there was no power anywhere. The voltmeter in the back, part or the camper setup, was reading 4v on the vehicle battery.

I charged it overnight on the EHU and checked on it this morning, around 11am, and it was reading ~13 v and seemed stable so I unplugged it from EHU and locked it.

I went to try and start it at around 4:30pm and it was dead again, no central locking, and again unlocked.

I attached a smart victron charger this time to see what it was saying and left it for about an hour. It said it had successfully reached full charge with 0.7 Ah going in. I turned the charger off and turned the ignition key and the dash came on and the radio started up, after about 10 seconds I tried the starter and everything died.

At this point I brought my partner's car over to it to try to jump it. With her car running the voltmeter in the back was reading 14.8 V, and I confirmed this with a multimeter at the battery. However now there's absolutely nothing working in the van, even with the other car attached and running. No lights, no dash, no central locking.

I've checked the fuses in fuse box B and they're fine. I've checked the ones I can easily reach in box C. I'll check box A in the morning.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be happening? Starting first time on Tuesday and then being completely dead by Sunday is odd. As is the inability of the charger to actually put any power into the battery. But now also everything being dead despite being attached to a running alternator?!

Any help appreciated,

Sam

after about 10 seconds I tried the starter and everything died.
With her car running the voltmeter in the back was reading 14.8 V,
there's absolutely nothing working in the van,
My first guess would be a broken/loose grounding. Was the helping car connected into battery negative, or chassis ground (e.g. engine mount on RHS).
Could try to eliminate this one by connecting booster cable from battery negative to chassis ground at different locations - by using van's own battery only + keeping eye on the battery voltage.

post a few pics of the battery and battery terminals,

and one of engine bay.

and dash with key on.

2018 van . . . is it original battery?

if you have run the battery down to 4v chances are its totally dead and will not be able to hold a charge?

how much Ah did the Victron charger show went into the battery? ( in the history tab)

Reactions: mmi
All fuses looked alright, fuse box A is a pain to get to!

Victron again said it managed to only put 0.6 Ah in overnight but it couldn't power the van. So I think we can deduce the battery is dead, I'm pretty sure it's the original battery, a Varta.

We have the original 'leisure' battery in the shed, a 70Ah starter, which is hooked up to a solar panel to run some lights in there. I know it's old but I also know it holds a charge so I decided to go get that and stick it in. I did the capacitor discharge process as well. Van sprang to life when I connected it all back up and managed to start as well with a little bit of labour, although I'm not surprised as I know the battery is old.

I left the victron charger plugged in overnight last night with the second battery in and it's moved into 'storage' charge mode but it's still putting out a constant 0.3-0.4 amps, so there's a large parasitic draw coming from somewhere that definitely hasn't existed before because the Van has often gone 2 weeks without being driven and started fine.

I've got a clamp meter on order and I'll start pulling fuses to see what I can find.

good detective work . .

so defo one dead battery . . . .

get a new one ordered - Upgrading Starter Battery - how to guide

standard van tickover current is <50mA or 0.05A - above this you will get a code logged "quiescent current high" - VCDS And Carista Fault Codes

Battery Regulator 02256 – quiescent current - Battery monitor detecting power drain from starter battery (about above 50mA) (left the Carista plugged in obd2 PORT overnight)

so if you say you have 400mA drain then something is not right,

possible causes are your 3rd party non-OEM installed kit.

or

possible OEM module/circuit fault.

++++++++++++++

its always easiest to start with all your extra stuff.

remember USB chargers and the like will pull power 24/7.

as will dash cams, dc-dc chargers , inverts etc etc etc etc

Post some pics so we can can see whats what. . .

Back