Night heater - how long to warm van?

bmc054

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Could anyone tell me how long these take to actually heat the cab etc ?
My T6 seems to take forever to warm up on these chilly mornings ,I’m thinking of having one fitted anyway and this could speed up my decision
I also like the idea of switching it on remotely so the vans toasty on my early starts
Thanks
Bob

My 2 kw diesel heater warms up the cab and rear seating area quite quickly as I fitted the heater under the van and bought the hot ducting under the seat to a T piece which then goes to a heater outlet to the front of the drivers seat and one to the rear.

John.

Depends upon what size heater you fit for a start. Obviously the 4Kw will heat the van up a lot quicker than a 2Kw. My van heats up to 20 degrees or so in 15 - 20 minutes with 4Kw - I am LWB with a hightop. A SWB with a closed poptop/original roof and a 2Kw could well be up to temperature in the same time. All depends upon the starting temperature also, -10, 0 degrees or 5 degrees will have differing times. Then there is insulation level. There are so many variables it is impossible to give a hard and fast figure.

Thanks for your replies
I was just wondering if it would heat up quicker than the vans heater really

It will be faster than the van heater, and you can run it whilst not in the van. 10 minutes to take the chill off, and after 15 it is starting to get warm. (2KW). With a 4KW it would get hot quicker, but be running on a low throttle most of the time in UK temperatures , with a risk of building up more soot

Aah yes but it depends upon how you use a heater - mine isn't run on low for a long time or run overnight, it is purely to heat the van for cold starts and for when I am coming back to the van with the dogs. Switch it on from up to 1000m away and the dogs get dried off quick, The Webasto Evo 40 can cope with low heat running better than the old 2000ST, STC etc. being a more advanced heater.
( I can soon swap in another heater if needs be )

Just a thought - quite a few T6 in the UK were equipped with factory installed auxiliary coolant heater - have you checked driver's door for a Webasto sticker?
I have the factory fitted parking heater, auxiliary heater, heated windscreen and heated seats. Not used any in anger yet as only got the van in April but looking forward to some cosy no de-icing early starts. I understand the range on the remote is something like 1km as suggested.

I suspect I will be looking at at least 15 mins before the parking heater has any effect?

also am I correct in thinking the auxiliary heater kicks in automatically at something like +5 deg C and below ..... were these a common add on?

Just a thought - quite a few T6 in the UK were equipped with factory installed auxiliary coolant heater - have you checked driver's door for a Webasto sticker?
Mine has that however been told its not such a simple job to convert to a "heater" as such.

I suspect I will be looking at at least 15 mins before the parking heater has any effect?
Some performance figures below - certainly at those times it's just starts to warm up in the cabin.
Cabin air blower will start when coolant temperature at heater has reached +45C (value controlled by adaptation channel). At outdoor temp -20C it takes about 8 mins, at -5C about 5 mins. At that point engine coolant has reached temperature of about +25C.
The quote from:
also am I correct in thinking the auxiliary heater kicks in automatically at something like +5 deg C and below ..... were these a common add on?
Correct - however, needs "heat request" to be on = cabin heater (blower) turned on as well as temperature set to higher than ambient.
Fairly common add-on as auxiliary heater even in the UK, but rare as (controllable) parking heater.

Mine has that however been told its not such a simple job to convert to a "heater" as such.

Retrofitting Auxiliary heater to Parking heater:

Despite reading on here that I should be running my heater regularly to maintain it I don’t think I’ve turned it on since last spring but we are away next weekend so I’ll see if it’s still functioning.

I did notice last winter that it doesn’t seem to heat as well as it did when first installed when it heated the van to tropical in seconds! But we have been using it more in sub zero temps with the poptop up so it may be the conditions are worse instead of the performance dropping.

Reactions: CAB
Some performance figures below - certainly at those times it's just starts to warm up in the cabin.

The quote from:

Correct - however, needs "heat request" to be on = cabin heater (blower) turned on as well as temperature set to higher than ambient.
Fairly common add-on as auxiliary heater even in the UK, but rare as (controllable) parking heater.

Retrofitting Auxiliary heater to Parking heater:
so auxiliary heater is a fairly common factory add on? the cabin heater (not parking heater) needs to be on and calling for heat? as I said not used either in anger yet.

Am I correct that the auxiliary heater simply adds extra heat to the vans cooling system so the engine warms quicker and runs warmer for longer. I read somewhere that this was needed because the modern diesel engine was so efficient it struggles to maintain optimum run temps during cold spells particularly when grabbing heat for cab heating etc. So what are the real life positives of having auxiliary heater is it simply available warm air from the engine cooling system in say 5 mins as apposed to say 10mins and an engine running more efficiently earlier during cold weather? I assume at some point it switches off? is there a simple way of telling if and when it is operational?

so parking heater not so common? The parking heater seems simpler to understand by comparison either working or not from the activation of the overhead panel or remote. Time and temp settings.

how do people tend to use them?
preheat do defrost and warm cab?
keep running until engine up to temp?
leave running for the set period what ever that may be 30min, 60min? or manually switch off once engine warm?

Think I have only used once during a overnight stay.

don't mean to hijack thread but I am new to these luxuries and it seems a perfect time to ask these relevant questions

these heaters were not on my "wish list" when looking for a new van but the guy selling seem to be very positive about their benefits and he seemed to know what extra to spec from the factory having experience of owning a few including cali

I am now led to believe both these heaters are quite a desirable factory option? looking forward to feeling the benefit but unsure how, in practice, they should be used.

Am I correct that the auxiliary heater simply adds extra heat to the vans cooling system so the engine warms quicker and runs warmer for longer.
Correct. But primarily they’re used as pre-heaters to warm up the engine before starting. Pre-heated engine starts easier, gets up to temp quick and pollutes less.

I read somewhere that this was needed because the modern diesel engine was so efficient it struggles to maintain optimum run temps during cold spells particularly when grabbing heat for cab heating etc. So what are the real life positives of having auxiliary heater is it simply available warm air from the engine cooling system in say 5 mins as apposed to say 10mins and an engine running more efficiently earlier during cold weather?
Besides pre-heating pretty much yes. Aux heater in my old T5 gave up couple of years back and in winter (colder than -10°) it really struggles to produce enough heat just by the engine alone - if I drive smaller roads coolant might never get close to 90°. Motorway driving will put enough stress on the engine to produce the heat but even then it can take absurdly long to really heat the cabin.

I assume at some point it switches off? is there a simple way of telling if and when it is operational?
Factory aux heater is fully integrated - it’s automatic and you can’t really tell if it’s on or off while driving.

You should really think in terms of water vs air heaters rather than aux or parking. You can have neither, both or either one installed from factory.
  • Factory water heater is used primarily for engine pre-heating, although it will also automatically run during drive to warm up coolant in cold weathers.
  • Factory water heater can be configured to act as parking heater as well, in this function it will heat up just engine until water is 45°. After that, it will switch cabin blower on and thus pre-heat cabin as well.
  • Factory air heater is a completely separate heater and a different beast. It has it’s own fan and vents - it’s not integrated with normal heating system at all. Since it’s heating air directly it’s much more efficient in this function than a water heater can ever be. Water heater can only run couple of hours max before depleting the battery and heat is always wasted for engine. Air heaters usually have some kind of thermostat to aim for stable cabin temp and due to their efficiency it’s feasible to run them throughout nights. Being rather camping oriented air heaters are what are usually meant by heaters in the forums.

so auxiliary heater is a fairly common factory add on? the cabin heater (not parking heater) needs to be on and calling for heat?
Correct.

Am I correct that the auxiliary heater simply adds extra heat to the vans cooling system so the engine warms quicker and runs warmer for longer.
Partially yes. The auxialiary heater feeds hot coolant to cabin's heat exchanger - after that the remnant heat goes to engine block.

I read somewhere that this was needed because the modern diesel engine was so efficient it struggles to maintain optimum run temps during cold spells particularly when grabbing heat for cab heating etc.
I'm certain the main function is to warm up cabin fairly quickly - if one turns cabin heating off the auxiliary heater won't even start. On T6 the engine produces enough heat (without auxiliary heater) down to some -20C. Below that one would see auxliary heater running full time.

an engine running more efficiently earlier during cold weather?
I think the auxiliary heater is not a significant contributor for this. T6 engine has other means to keep itself warm - e.g. by bypassing EGR cooler thus getting preheated air into cylinders. Mentioned e.g. here

I assume at some point it switches off? is there a simple way of telling if and when it is operational?
Yes, it switches off as soon as the engine can keep up with heating - on mine typically in 10-15 minutes after setting off.
On the move no simple way telling it's running - except that it's toasty in the cabin.

The parking heater seems simpler to understand by comparison either working or not from the activation of the overhead panel or remote. Time and temp settings.
Yes. However, as soon as engine is started the parking heater turns into a auxiliary heater - thus continues to run and heat cabin as long as engine can take over.

I thought I had two separate heaters. An auxiliary heater which as stated works in conjunction with the engines cooling/heating system ie wet side. I take it these run direct off a diesel feed? I don’t understand how this improves engine start up though. I had assumed they only work when ignition is on or are they interlinked with parking heater operation?

example - so it’s mid winter I press the remote from my comfy warm bed and this brings on the auxiliary heater and parking heater together providing external temps are below say 5 deg ? This warms the cab and puts heat into engines Wet system. If not cold externally then just the parking heater activates warming the internal van.

if I jump in the van without engaging the auxiliary or parking heater then start the engine does the auxiliary heater then kick in automatically separate from the parking heater providing temps are low enough?

If I am camping and need a bit of warmth say night temps about 10 deg then I press the remote this will bring the parking heater on only.

does this sound right?

Yes. However, as soon as engine is started the parking heater turns into an auxiliary heater - thus continues to run and heat cabin as long as engine can take over.’

I thought the parking heater stayed as a parking heater but just ran whilst driving still burning diesel direct to warm the air with no link to engine temp…..is the suggestion then that once the engine is up to temperature the parking heater will switch off rather than it keep running until the time has elapsed?

all interesting stuff just trying to get clear in my head how each heater functions. maybe I am over thinking it lol

I thought I had two separate heaters. An auxiliary heater which as stated works in conjunction with the engines cooling/heating system ie wet side. I take it these run direct off a diesel feed? I don’t understand how this improves engine start up though. I had assumed they only work when ignition is on or are they interlinked with parking heater operation?

example - so it’s mid winter I press the remote from my comfy warm bed and this brings on the auxiliary heater and parking heater together providing external temps are below say 5 deg ? This warms the cab and puts heat into engines Wet system. If not cold externally then just the parking heater activates warming the internal van.
The options surrounding this are confusing indeed.

I think the plain simplest water heater without a control panel or a remote is to set heat cabin only from factory and only runs with engine running. The addition of control panel or remote will enable the water heater to be started irrespective of the engine - and in this case also engine pre-heating may or may not be set up. Obviously starting would only be helped if a) water heater can be started without engine and b) it's configured to do engine pre-heating.

Then the air heater... I think I saw somewhere if air heater is installed and it can be started with remote all of a sudden water heater cannot be anymore started remotely => more confusion. I have no personal experience with factory air heaters though so take it with a grain of salt. In your scenario pressing the remote from the comfort of the bed then would mean only air heater is started and it starts to track it's set temperature; nothing to do with outdoor temps.

if I jump in the van without engaging the auxiliary or parking heater then start the engine does the auxiliary heater then kick in automatically separate from the parking heater providing temps are low enough?
Correct

If I am camping and need a bit of warmth say night temps about 10 deg then I press the remote this will bring the parking heater on only.

does this sound right?
Yes. I think anyway single remote ever controls one of the heaters, but I suppose it could be either one.

Note that if you have a control panel or the remote for heater it will start up through them in any temperature. Only the automatic operation (of the water heater) is dependent on the external or coolant temperature. For example, I run my water heater few times throughout the summer just to keep it in good shape - the heaters have bit of a habit of developing faults if they're not run periodically.

so auxiliary heater is a fairly common factory add on? the cabin heater (not parking heater) needs to be on and calling for heat? as I said not used either in anger yet.

Am I correct that the auxiliary heater simply adds extra heat to the vans cooling system so the engine warms quicker and runs warmer for longer. I read somewhere that this was needed because the modern diesel engine was so efficient it struggles to maintain optimum run temps during cold spells particularly when grabbing heat for cab heating etc. So what are the real life positives of having auxiliary heater is it simply available warm air from the engine cooling system in say 5 mins as apposed to say 10mins and an engine running more efficiently earlier during cold weather? I assume at some point it switches off? is there a simple way of telling if and when it is operational?

so parking heater not so common? The parking heater seems simpler to understand by comparison either working or not from the activation of the overhead panel or remote. Time and temp settings.

how do people tend to use them?
preheat do defrost and warm cab?
keep running until engine up to temp?
leave running for the set period what ever that may be 30min, 60min? or manually switch off once engine warm?

Think I have only used once during a overnight stay.

don't mean to hijack thread but I am new to these luxuries and it seems a perfect time to ask these relevant questions

these heaters were not on my "wish list" when looking for a new van but the guy selling seem to be very positive about their benefits and he seemed to know what extra to spec from the factory having experience of owning a few including cali

I am now led to believe both these heaters are quite a desirable factory option? looking forward to feeling the benefit but unsure how, in practice, they should be used.
Mine is an engine coolant heater only. Fully integrated. No driver controls. It works very well for fast warmup. It died sometime between last winter and this winter and the time from engine start to noticeable heat coming from the standard cab heater has almost doubled. So I need to diagnose it sharpish now that winter has properly arrived this week. (It normally cuts out at some point as the engine coolant gets up to a threshold temperature , but I don't know what that is.)

Back