Next question...

Also good preventive maintenance to spray inside with WD40 to keep the contacts clean and corrosion free just as with trailer electrics connections :):thumbsup::whistle:
Well you've just explained my 4 years of horror with my old van/trailer electrics...I feel so stupid! Will be using WD40 from now on.

Well you've just explained my 4 years of horror with my old van/trailer electrics...I feel so stupid! Will be using WD40 from now on.
@Jonny it also helps to do the same with the trailer plug and then put it in a suitably sized plastic bag secured with a piece of garden plant wire and stored so that water doesn't run down the cable and into the bag :).

Sorry for the teaching granny etc etc, but the detailed explanation is for newbies to towing electrics and their problems so that lights tend then to be plug, check and go with everything working correctly :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Just based on many years of dealing with trailers and a caravan.

I have no issue with my flap (stop it) but if not I'd go for under the bonnet, seems a much better option than under the bumper

Yeah, but be careful, seen a couple of horrors Stowe away under the bonnet, which is daft as its the easiest place to make a nice job of it...

FWIW, our converters (Exploria) place both the water filler and the external power hook-up under the rear bumper. I've queried the location from the muck and accessibility perspectives but they assure me all is good. And, with their experience and reputation, I'm prepared to believe them. This said, there is no doubt that access via panels in the side would be easier - but like the op, I don't like the idea of plastic covers on the side of the van. One other option I've seen (as used by another well regarded converter, Jerba) is to hinge the wee panel at the rear, and put the connections behind it. That's the panel below the rear lights. But every "older" van I've seen with this adaptation has had corrosion where the hinges have been attached.

Under the bonnet - why cut a hole in a panel??
This!

Fair enough that VW put it on the panel but I'm sure the hole is there before it's painted. Doing it yourself even if you treat it worries me about future rust. Plus the fact it ruins the lines IMO (sorry polzy).

I fitted mine under the bonnet in the space in front of the battery. Ran the cable through a single grommet in the passenger wheel arch area and then ran it hidden to the rear of the van where my fuse box is. Bonnet still closes over the attached cable without squashing it. Don't need to get wet by reaching underneath to connect

I do find ours is very convenient on the side, however, having it underneath would save Mrs Loz from having to jump out at the traffic lights to run back and slap the lid shut every now and then. :rolleyes:
Never had that problem with my towed van as the flap was a vertical slider for the electrics :thumbsup::whistle:. The flap also stayed white for over 10 years :whistle:

Back