Next Oil Service Due - Missing From MFD

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I posted about this a couple of days ago on the back of another thread but didn't get any comments and therefore thought i would try again.
My 150PS manual T6 registered in July 18 had it's first service on 10 March at 4556 miles and has since done a further 140 miles. As at this morning, the MFD is telling me that an 'Inspection' is due in 302 Days or 19900 miles but the part that talks about the 'Oil Service' is blank. Does the computer take a while to learn about driving styles etc. before it calculates when the next service is due or is there something else going on (ie. the tech forgot to reset the computer properly or something more sinister)? My only other experience of a car with 'flexible servicing' is on an Audi and that shows next oil service details straight after driving out of the workshop. Any advice much appreciated.

Service.jpg

Loz, I last used it last week to drive from home in Frampton to Quedgeley and back and the week before that from home to Cribbs Causeway and back. So I guess the answer's 'no but it's not been used much'!

Something in the back of my mind is saying you have to do 500 miles before the oil quality stuff kicks in and hopefully produces a time scale

Pauly, Bloody hell! In the current environment I'll be lucky to do 500 miles before the next service is due. In any event, thanks for the comment.

Something in the back of my mind is saying you have to do 500 miles before the oil quality stuff kicks in and hopefully produces a time scale
That's what I was thinking...

I know when I’ve done my Audi’s in the past, the - - - displays for a good few miles before it’ll show the correct details, like @Pauly says.

Spag. Thanks for that. As I said above, I've also got an Audi (an SQ5) and when I picked it up from it's last service, it was already showing the + 20000 miles or 2 years - that's why I got a bit concerned about the T6. Also as I said before, if campsites don't open this year and we are still subject to restrictions, I might still have a blank screen when the next service is due.

Your instrument cluster reminders have not been reset properly.
Have you got VCDS? Or have you tried to reset it manually?

Reactions: mmi
As you have covered only 140 miles and 60 days have passed
I would consider trying to reset oil reminder manually.

Thanks for the various replies to this. I decided to email the VW Van Centre in Swindon (who did the service) this morning and ask the question. Top marks to them as I had a phone call from one of the technicians within 25 minutes of pressing the send button and he assured me that all was OK and that, as suggested by Pauly and Loz, the 'system' just needs to take a while to think about it before giving a reading - he estimated 4-500 miles. In the current climate, I've no idea how long it will be before I drive that far but it's at least nice to know that there is nothing going wrong with the car. Again, thanks for your advice on this and I'll report back as necessary.

This is extremely weird to me. I have performed numerous service/oil reminder resets and such a thing never happened to me. I have done it manually via IC button/ignition and via VCDS(manually tweaking IC adaptations or SRI) and I was always getting mileage and days to go straight away.

I really look forward to hearing from you when you confirm that in fact your oil service reminder starts clocking down.

Last edited:
On the two Audi’s I have had, if you did variable distance servicing, you got the - - - for a while, and if you set it to fixed distance, it came up immediately.

On the two Audi’s I have had, if you did variable distance servicing, you got the - - - for a while, and if you set it to fixed distance, it came up immediately.
Exactly, if you reset your reminders via SRI and you select incorrect service plan that's what you will get.

Last edited:
How to reset service counters using dash buttons:

Resetting Oil Change Service ---> see page 23 in the Owner's manual ---> T6 Owners Manual
Resetting Inspection ---> see page (23-) 24
The manual states that resetting oil change using dash buttons will activate fixed oil service regime.

Anyways, the dashes will be replaced with actual numbers after 500 km's (300+ mi) in flexible regime.

Back