NEWBY 1st time posting

Hello and thank you for accepting me into your forum/group. I am a ( Dave) Newby to the Transporter Van/ Camper world and have spent the last 2 weeks trying to educate myself into the terminologies, specs, and different types of trim that goes with a VW Transporter. I am presently on the prowl looking for a T6 Kombi, around a 2017 - 2020, that I can begin to convert to a Camper Van, I intend to do most of it myself. I retire in Nov 2022, so I want to start now. I have have my wife's(Sue) full support on this venture as she too is looking forward to many weekends away. I would like to apologise in advance for any 'Stupid' questions that this Newby may ask in a future post.
I started with stupid questions and still asking them!! Enjoy the forum….it’s a wealth of info.

Hi and welcome! If you are converting the van and putting in a pop-top, you could consider the extra weight you're putting in permanently. Before doing anything with wheels etc, perhaps you should have a chat with @CRS Performance about your suspension. He is very well rated on this forum. Be sure to tell him what you intend to do to the van and look you want to achieve (wheels, lowering, towing, converting etc) and he will advise on optimum solution.

Hi and welcome! If you are converting the van and putting in a pop-top, you could consider the extra weight you're putting in permanently. Before doing anything with wheels etc, perhaps you should have a chat with @CRS Performance about your suspension. He is very well rated on this forum. Be sure to tell him what you intend to do to the van and look you want to achieve (wheels, lowering, towing, converting etc) and he will advise on optimum solution.
Thank you for that info, all stuff like that is welcome with me being a complete novice.

Hello Team Cherry Red, I have been off the radar for a few days doing renovation work in one of the bedrooms, however I have managed to do a little bit on the van. I would like to call the van 'Red Fred' if that is available and not taken, please shout up if it is. Well
the bulkhead is out, I still have to remove the spot welded webs from the floor and half way up the door pillar. I eventually ordered some tyres, thanks to the support and direction that I received from this forum and had them fitted fitted to the new wheels, balanced and on the van. I need to either fit some centre caps or paint the centres of the stubs black to match the wheels - I would prefer to fit centre caps if I can find any that will fit. I have to lay off working on the van for a few days, maybe a week or so while I crack on with the work in the bedroom which is a priority task right now. I will be back on when I can report any progress. Meanwhile I am gathering the funds together to have my windows done, I intend to book in at Cosmic Vans Derby, as I am South of Nottingham. Stay safe every one.
Creamytash
20210811_071900.jpg20210811_071843.jpg20210811_071826.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant, Yes I will do, Thank you for the heads up.
Hi, I wasn't able to make it to this meeting. I have been waiting for a plasterer to give me a date when he would do our front bedroom - and yes you guessed it, he wanted to do it this Sat & Sun which screwed me up for going to the meeting. I have to say I am very disappointed but it's difficult enough to get plasterers and the like to commit to a date to do a job so I had to go with it.

Back