NEWBY 1st time posting

Creamytash

T6 Guru
Hello and thank you for accepting me into your forum/group. I am a ( Dave) Newby to the Transporter Van/ Camper world and have spent the last 2 weeks trying to educate myself into the terminologies, specs, and different types of trim that goes with a VW Transporter. I am presently on the prowl looking for a T6 Kombi, around a 2017 - 2020, that I can begin to convert to a Camper Van, I intend to do most of it myself. I retire in Nov 2022, so I want to start now. I have have my wife's(Sue) full support on this venture as she too is looking forward to many weekends away. I would like to apologise in advance for any 'Stupid' questions that this Newby may ask in a future post.

Hello and thank you for accepting me into your forum/group. I am a ( Dave) Newby to the Transporter Van/ Camper world and have spent the last 2 weeks trying to educate myself into the terminologies, specs, and different types of trim that goes with a VW Transporter. I am presently on the prowl looking for a T6 Kombi, around a 2017 - 2020, that I can begin to convert to a Camper Van, I intend to do most of it myself. I retire in Nov 2022, so I want to start now. I have have my wife's(Sue) full support on this venture as she too is looking forward to many weekends away. I would like to apologise in advance for any 'Stupid' questions that this Newby may ask in a future post.
Morning Dave and welcome to the forum.
No apologies needed for ‘stupid’ questions that’s what a forum is for.
You’ll likely find most stuff has been covered, so searching before posting is always recommended.

Any reason you’re going for a Kombi over a panel-van? Is it because the windows will be fitted? Depending on your levels of OCD, that might subsequently mean that you feel limited to fitting OEM VW glass to the rear quarter panels so the tint matches.. and seat mounts will need removing from a Kombi, whereas a panelvan is a blank canvass as such.
Search using tags on things like build thread and camper conversion to give yourself some ideas, and check the classified sub-forum to view vans being sold by members.
Good luck and enjoy!

Speaking to people and looking at their vans is the best way to work out what you need. With covid not many shows / gatherings in the last couple of years.

I chatted to a guy at the Malvern show in 2019 and got lots of help / guidance. He was on his 3rd build and decided he didn’t want a cooker / sink in the van as he found on earlier builds he had to put the bed away to get in the cupboards to make a coffee in the morning. But then wanted to go back to bed!

We like camping but dont like sleeping on the floor so the plan is to have a kombi bed in the van and a drive away awning for cooking / lounging and portaloo in the ‘tunnel’.

Ian

Welcome.
You're doing exactly the right thing - doing as much research as you can before committing to a van spec that might limit you.
I'd focus on the features that can't be changed after purchase, such as long wheel base or short, or perhaps DSG or manual gearbox.
Other things like wheels and tyres are fairly easily changed at a later date if you chose to so don't worry about those details.
Time spent doing the research now is never wasted! :thumbsup:

Thank you all for such a warm and positive welcome, it has given me a feeling of 'family' in respect of the mood within the forum from the very beginning, so thank you.
Well, I am in it up to my chin now, as I have just committed to a T6 Panel Van (thank you @Ads_Essex, what you said made sense). Next week I will pick it up and will truly be starting with a blank canvas. I feel a bit anxious about the entire thing, not least because I have spent a lot of money and that makes me nervous. I am already researching how I want to develop the van towards it becoming a camper.
@DaveD you are right, The big stuff is difficult and expensive to change, so I have focused on getting that part of the spec nailed ie 105bhp, 6 speed box, AC, captains seats. The other features like it has steel wheels, no windows, needs a face lift etc etc I can change gradually.
@Paynewright - I take your point and will be giving much thought to the interior spec/build although I am a bit of a way off that stage yet. Visiting van shows must be good for feeding the imagination with ideas for a build.. I will keep you posted an how I progress and when I can I will post photos. By the way - thank God for U Tube, a bottomless well of ideas and information.
Best regards to you all,
Creamytash(Nottingham)

Hi all, well I have taken the plunge and by god a plunge is what it felt like. I have committed to a vehicle which I will be picking up on 2nd August. I have gone for a panel van, 2020 VW Transporter 2.0Tdi T30 Highline BMT LWB 150ps EU6d T-E. I now have to educate myself as to what all that means. I get most of it now, except for the BMT. I went for this one as it was very LWB, low mileage, 150bhp, 6 speed box, aircon, Highline spec, 2 captain seats up front, tailgate, ply lined, it's cherry red in colour. While I am recovering from the initial hit it's my intention to plan the first job which will be to remove the bulkhead. This I am confident I can do myself at no cost. Meanwhile I will be gathering the funds to take it in and have a pop up top fitted (I have read a lot of useful posts on this subject). I then want to plan my windows. I have an urge to look at changing the wheels. It's on 16 inch alloys that look boring but I am uncertain as to what size to go to ie 17" 18" 19" 20" so I would be grateful for any feedback of personal experiences do's and don'ts, consequences etc. I have read a few posts on the wheel weight ratings on such as Range Rover wheels. The stuff I am not sure about is what affects I can expect from increasing the wheel size eg; MPG, Gearing, Price of Tyres, Quality of the ride, Stress on wheel Bearing. Any advice would be gratefully received by this newbie. The exterior appearance is IMO also quite boring, no rear spoiler, plain looking front end, no side skirt rails, or roof rails. I understand that this stuff can all be done after the bigger more important aspects of a conversion have been completed as this then clears the way to start work inside. I am still reeling, the last time I bought something of this cost it was my first house.
Wishing you all Blue Skies and Clear Roads.
Creamytash( Nottingham)

Hi all, well I have taken the plunge and by god a plunge is what it felt like. I have committed to a vehicle which I will be picking up on 2nd August. I have gone for a panel van, 2020 VW Transporter 2.0Tdi T30 Highline BMT LWB 150ps EU6d T-E. I now have to educate myself as to what all that means. I get most of it now, except for the BMT. I went for this one as it was very LWB, low mileage, 150bhp, 6 speed box, aircon, Highline spec, 2 captain seats up front, tailgate, ply lined, it's cherry red in colour. While I am recovering from the initial hit it's my intention to plan the first job which will be to remove the bulkhead. This I am confident I can do myself at no cost. Meanwhile I will be gathering the funds to take it in and have a pop up top fitted (I have read a lot of useful posts on this subject). I then want to plan my windows. I have an urge to look at changing the wheels. It's on 16 inch alloys that look boring but I am uncertain as to what size to go to ie 17" 18" 19" 20" so I would be grateful for any feedback of personal experiences do's and don'ts, consequences etc. I have read a few posts on the wheel weight ratings on such as Range Rover wheels. The stuff I am not sure about is what affects I can expect from increasing the wheel size eg; MPG, Gearing, Price of Tyres, Quality of the ride, Stress on wheel Bearing. Any advice would be gratefully received by this newbie. The exterior appearance is IMO also quite boring, no rear spoiler, plain looking front end, no side skirt rails, or roof rails. I understand that this stuff can all be done after the bigger more important aspects of a conversion have been completed as this then clears the way to start work inside. I am still reeling, the last time I bought something of this cost it was my first house.
Wishing you all Blue Skies and Clear Roads.
Creamytash( Nottingham)
Great news Dave, hope you’re feeling happy with the purchase.

Re the spec, the BMT but just means BlueMotion Technology - VW speak for stop/start technology that involves a smart alternator. For that reason you’ll need a DC to DC charger for your leisure battery, as a split-charger that just feeds off the battery won’t be adequate.
So you’ll be in Team Cherry Red; anything black gloss will look great, including steel wheels. Have a look there for some inspiration. I wouldn’t worry too much about exterior looks just now as you’ll want to get the pop top and the camper side of things done.
Get the pop top booked first - there are long waits for this (someone is advertising their slot for grabs here if you want to jump the queue, just do your homework around the firm and ensure you’ll be happy with the look of the roof over the prospect of an early fitting).
Bulkhead removal is easy enough, but you’ll want a grinder with a cutting disc for the bottom half. Kiravans have a video on YouTube for this.
Work out now what interior furniture and seating you want, so you can keep an eye out for beds, flooring and such. The Forum Classifieds has some gems that pop up which don’t have the hassle associated with eBay / Facebook sales etc.
And make a list that you’ll keep to. With a budget.
Build threads are great - everyone loves one and it’s good to document what you’ve done.
But most of all enjoy it.

BMT = Blue Motion Tech. It means it is a Euro6 engine with start stop and a very small amount of regenerative braking.

Hi @Creamtash, welcome.
BMT is Blue Motion Technology. In other words, they use something like Pigs P!££ as a fuel additive to reduce the CO2 it puts out.

This is a useful link from the AA website AA - What is AdBlue

Sounds like a cracking van you have bought, upload some pictures when you get it.

Its just my opinion but these vans lowered, and on 18" wheels look really good and there is very little if any compromise in ride comfort. I think going 19 or 20 will have some detrimental effect on both of those... but will look a lot better.

Good luck

Hi @Creamtash, welcome.
BMT is Blue Motion Technology. In other words, they use something like Pigs P!££ as a fuel additive to reduce the CO2 it puts out.

This is a useful link from the AA website AA - What is AdBlue

Sounds like a cracking van you have bought, upload some pictures when you get it.

Its just my opinion but these vans lowered, and on 18" wheels look really good and there is very little if any compromise in ride comfort. I think going 19 or 20 will have some detrimental effect on both of those... but will look a lot better.

Good luck
Not quite, some of the Euro 5 vans are BMT and dont use the AdBlue ;)

Can’t give you advice on tires/splitters/roof rails etc cos we all want different things…. We dont have pop top and don’t regret it and we want to go for more of a swamper look. What i can say is welcome and sounds like you’ve got a really good van there and a blank canvas to make it truly yours. For inspiration you could check out TEAM RED thread.

Thread 'Team Cherry Red'
Team Cherry Red

Not quite, some of the Euro 5 vans are BMT and dont use the AdBlue ;)
Like mine. Think I’ve only ever noticed one regen. Does, however, mean that I can’t enter the London Orbital Ringroad without paying a fee come October.. horses for courses.

Hi everyone and thank you for the replies and clarifications. I have just been reading a thread about the 150bhp engines that are experiencing 'Oil too Full' warning lights coming on and the lack of a solution from VW. It all sounds like crankcase dilution to me which is not good or tolerable without long term engine damage and TBH it has scared the sh*t out of me right now. I don't even know if mine is a T6 or a T6.1 - I am so niave about these transporters at the moment The above mentioned thread has me fretting that I have bought a headache and I am on the point of phoning the dealership and having it out with them before I even pick it up.

Reading the threads where someone has a problem messes all of our heads up but as everyone says you only hear the bad stories. Have a look at this thread for a bit of Perspective

Reading the threads where someone has a problem messes all of our heads up but as everyone says you only hear the bad stories. Have a look at this thread for a bit of Perspective

Thanks, that was a good 'leveler'. I just got apprehensive at reading so many posts that highlighted the engine oil dilution problem on not just the 150, but also the 110 and 102s. It starting me asking the question 'why has someone chopped in a 2020 van with 4k on the clock, it has me stressing a bit, thats all.

Hi everyone and thank you for the replies and clarifications. I have just been reading a thread about the 150bhp engines that are experiencing 'Oil too Full' warning lights coming on and the lack of a solution from VW. It all sounds like crankcase dilution to me which is not good or tolerable without long term engine damage and TBH it has scared the sh*t out of me right now. I don't even know if mine is a T6 or a T6.1 - I am so niave about these transporters at the moment The above mentioned thread has me fretting that I have bought a headache and I am on the point of phoning the dealership and having it out with them before I even pick it up.
@Long tall John is dead right, nobody posts, "another day of my van running perfect" on any forum!
The fact as I see it is this forum helps to raise awareness of potential problems, what they might mean and how you might go about dealing with them.
There are tens of thousands of T6's running around perfectly, some with big miles on the clock, while some people are unlucky, but you'd get that with any brand of vehicle.

@Long tall John is dead right, nobody posts, "another day of my van running perfect" on any forum!
The fact as I see it is this forum helps to raise awareness of potential problems, what they might mean and how you might go about dealing with them.
There are tens of thousands of T6's running around perfectly, some with big miles on the clock, while some people are unlucky, but you'd get that with any brand of vehicle.
Yes, I get that, just a bit of me getting the jitters my friend and you are quite right. I love this forum and so glad that I found it and have been accepted on it. I have a way to go before I will be able to contribute to any knowledge or share practical experiences. I do value every bit of info that comes my way.

Back