Newbie switching from a Defender 110 ...

Hiya folks,
I've been stalking you lot for a few weeks now and thought I'd better show my face.
I'm on the path from switching from my 110 USW and getting into a T6 pop top.
Loving the outdoors and admit that I love any widget and gadget going ... so reckon I'm going to be OK here :)
As I get older I'm going to treat myself to some 'indoor' space, hence the pop top route.
Here's my rig at the moment ...
Hello Alan
IMG_1092.JPG

Last edited:
just trying to get grips with this forum folks,
how are you posting images? Imgur or from the pop-up window thingie?
Alan

Hiya folks,
I've been stalking you lot for a few weeks now and thought I'd better show my face.
I'm on the path from switching from my 110 USW and getting into a T6 pop top.
Loving the outdoors and admit that I love any widget and gadget going ... so reckon I'm going to be OK here :)
As I get older I'm going to treat myself to some 'indoor' space, hence the pop top route.
Here's my rig at the moment ...
Hello Alan
View attachment 11418
Hello and welcome! So far I've managed to keep my Defender as well as the T6 but am struggling to justify keeping both - the 110 is likely to be the first to go though :-(

Any Brompton owners here? ... i'm really outing myself here :)

ltZnpVA.jpg
How did you get on with the roof tent? We looked at a few but went for the T6 instead - still not written off a conversion, with pop top, on the Defender yet but now looking unlikely.

Welcome to the forum
I sold my year old 110xs about four years ago now, it just wasn't fulfilling my needs. One of the big issues was, for such a big vehicle the back door was tiny so still found myself having to borrow my mates van on occasions. Also the 50 mile round trip commute every day was like throwing pound notes out the window !! saying that I do miss it and if it was a 90 I think I would have kept it.

Its no comparison to the T6, but saying that they really are totally different vehicles.

I also almost purchased a raw lacquer Brompton last week but realised I couldn't justify a fourth bike !! they do look fun though but fear like my Pashley Guvnor it would end up an ornament in the house.

Enjoy a bit of walking too, but nothing on a grand scale, purely just for the escapism.

I'm sure you'd love a T6 as like mine, it suits my lifestyle perfectly.

Welcome to the forum
I sold my year old 110xs about four years ago now, it just wasn't fulfilling my needs. One of the big issues was, for such a big vehicle the back door was tiny so still found myself having to borrow my mates van on occasions. Also the 50 mile round trip commute every day was like throwing pound notes out the window !! saying that I do miss it and if it was a 90 I think I would have kept it.

Its no comparison to the T6, but saying that they really are totally different vehicles.

I also almost purchased a raw lacquer Brompton last week but realised I couldn't justify a fourth bike !! they do look fun though but fear like my Pashley Guvnor it would end up an ornament in the house.

Enjoy a bit of walking too, but nothing on a grand scale, purely just for the escapism.

I'm sure you'd love a T6 as like mine, it suits my lifestyle perfectly.
My 110XS has just had its first MOT - still only got 18k on the clock - I have seriously considered selling it but, having now extended the warranty, am likely to be keeping it until at least this time next year.

DJ, never answered your question regarding the roof top tent (RTT).
I had two types. The Howling Moon. This was the canvas type that folds out and over the car. Held up then with the ladder. This was great and roomy, but after a period of a couple of seasons the plywood base started to rot. Swopped this out for the maggi autohome type. This was good in as much that the 'footprint' of the van was the same when camping. But the tent was not as volumuneous. I found that many camping masses loved the look of the rig. Great when sunny and fine, but when the weather was grim (read most of the time) it felt like a chore to pack the roof down, and no 'room' to sit out any bad weather. I did numerous wild camping trips, but always had a slight twinge regarding security matters. Nothing happened just the apprehension.

However my new journey starts today, as I've just received an email from a fella, who wants to buy my truck. Happy and regrets ...
I'm on the configurator as we speak :)

DJ, never answered your question regarding the roof top tent (RTT).
I had two types. The Howling Moon. This was the canvas type that folds out and over the car. Held up then with the ladder. This was great and roomy, but after a period of a couple of seasons the plywood base started to rot. Swopped this out for the maggi autohome type. This was good in as much that the 'footprint' of the van was the same when camping. But the tent was not as volumuneous. I found that many camping masses loved the look of the rig. Great when sunny and fine, but when the weather was grim (read most of the time) it felt like a chore to pack the roof down, and no 'room' to sit out any bad weather. I did numerous wild camping trips, but always had a slight twinge regarding security matters. Nothing happened just the apprehension.

However my new journey starts today, as I've just received an email from a fella, who wants to buy my truck. Happy and regrets ...
I'm on the configurator as we speak :)
We have kept all of our camping gear with the expectation we may use again one day but, having sampled year round campervan life, I can't see us ever camping under canvas again - I don't miss the circa 3 hours it took to decamp with all of our gear - we were sat on a site last weekend with a strict 11am leave site rule - we watched everyone running around packing away from around 8am whilst enjoying a very relaxed cooked breakfast, showering, walking the dogs, etc, and finally deciding it was time to start packing away around 10am - took our time but still left site with a good 15 minutes to spare - love it!!

I think the only thing I would change on mine if speccing again would have been going 4 motion to give me a bit more, go anywhere, confidence driving onto grass/mud out of season - when we ordered the T6 we were firmly in the "why do we need another 4x4 car" - I think had we gone 4 motion the Defender decision would be easier for us.

Back