Newbie Monkey

Dave1380

Hi All,

I have travelled for nearly 20 years and hired and borrowed vans along the way, yes I still have very little idea.

I have been told the T5 is just a less refined T6. Heard many a arguments to do with which bed to get depending on if you want an angled sit or a good sleep and so on.

My partner and I are looking to buy and fit our self's with a little help with the technical side along the way.

So looking for recommendations for parts, lessons learned, why you bought what. Which things you have but don't use and why you'd go against such things. I bileve debate and opinions are healthy in such. We have a 3 Yr old daughter so looking at weekend and possibly a week trips away for us to start off with.

What's the best base to start with? T5 - T6?
LWB or SWB
DSG or manual
Petrol or diesel
Highline or sport line or anything else

Help help help as its so confusing at the mo and looking to you legends for aid.

Thanks in advance

Dave

If you go down the T5 route steer clear of the one with the dodgy engine. Can’t remember which one (possibly 2012) but should be easy to research. Someone on here will no doubt know which one it is.

I have been told that want I should look for is
T5 - T6
LWB
Kombi shuttle or highline as a base
Tailgate
Double front seats that can switch round (as I have a 4yr old)

Then go from there and chose bed, pop top type and so on.

I am confused if to get a full kitchen or not as why would I cook grecey food in the van instead of a side tent or awning?

Other thingy I think about is whether you go for a T28, 30 or 32. We have a T32 which we had converted. No worries about payload then.

I have T6 with the older Euro 5 180 engine. Can’t fault the engine at all.
In relation to the T28/30/32 debate, i’d ask whether you want to put aftermarket wheels on it. If you do, then it’s a little harder to find appropriately load rated alloys for a T32, not impossible, just less of a range.
Payload wise even with a full conversion a T30 would be sufficient.

With the T30 and T32 what's the difference in the shocks, springs ratio and also do they have different breaks? I don't mind paying more for something that is worth it, but if it's not then I'm good to go with the 30.

Also I know the awning or exterior tent market is huge, so is there any advice on those?

Back