Newbie member whose owned a T32 for two years

Welcome on board! you have come to the right place.

What mods have you done? we love pictures here!!

Thanks for the warm welcome! The first mod was Koni dampers to improve ride quality. They made a massive difference to the way it handles potholes and speed bumps. I had the engine and DSG gearbox chipped to increase power & torque by c. 20%, which worked well. I don't drive it fast but the extra torque is welcome and fuel economy has improved. I have insulated the rear of the van including the twin sliding doors. I'm just waiting for the weather to improve before I tackle the front doors. Next mod is to swap wheels & tyres, mainly to improve ride quality further as the 17" commercial tyres are awful. I have just posted a query about that.

PXL_20231023_085155738.jpg

PXL_20231023_100954389.jpg

PXL_20231023_104001223.jpg

Having just got my first 204 van 3 weeks ago I’m interested to hear how chipping/maping the van can increase fuel economy? Is that a thing? Thanks Paul

Chipping increases torque at low rpm, so you can shift into a higher gear earlier. My van is a 204 hp and chipping increased power & torque by 20%. I don't use the extra power at high rpm but the extra torque at lower rpm is very nice. Mine has a DSG gearbox and that was re-mapped at the same time, to match the new power and torque curves. It shifts into a higher gear much earlier. One issue I have is that it will now shift into e.g. 7th gear at 45 mph when cruising, with rpm at 1,200 or lower. At such low revs, I get a minor resonant vibration from the engine. The mapping company is working on a revised map so revs don't drop quite so low. I think 1,400 rpm would be fine. But yes, to answer your question, chipped diesels can give better fuel economy if you use the low rpm torque.

Chipping increases torque at low rpm, so you can shift into a higher gear earlier. My van is a 204 hp and chipping increased power & torque by 20%. I don't use the extra power at high rpm but the extra torque at lower rpm is very nice. Mine has a DSG gearbox and that was re-mapped at the same time, to match the new power and torque curves. It shifts into a higher gear much earlier. One issue I have is that it will now shift into e.g. 7th gear at 45 mph when cruising, with rpm at 1,200 or lower. At such low revs, I get a minor resonant vibration from the engine. The mapping company is working on a revised map so revs don't drop quite so low. I think 1,400 rpm would be fine. But yes, to answer your question, chipped diesels can give better fuel economy if you use the low rpm torque.
Thanks for the reply

I'd be careful mapping the 204 though, there's lots of topics about it giving all sorts of trouble

not the most robust engine and it's got a very delicate emissions system :(

I'd be careful mapping the 204 though, there's lots of topics about it giving all sorts of trouble

not the most robust engine and it's got a very delicate emissions system :(
Thanks for your response. I've searched the forum and found several posts related to remapping in general and on the 204 specifically. I don't feel there is a consensus on it or any consistent concerns with reliability. Am I missing something? BTW ... I have a software delete of the EGR system, with the EGR valve confirmed closed, so I'm not concerned about that. Thanks.

Thanks for your response. I've searched the forum and found several posts related to remapping in general and on the 204 specifically. I don't feel there is a consensus on it or any consistent concerns with reliability. Am I missing something? BTW ... I have a software delete of the EGR system, with the EGR valve confirmed closed, so I'm not concerned about that. Thanks.
if that's the case you need to be mindful that any map you apply will overwrite your current software so would likely require the EGR. so if you want to keep the EGR delete you need a specalist map to suit. I believe @Dav-Tec would be your man for the job

if that's the case you need to be mindful that any map you apply will overwrite your current software so would likely require the EGR. so if you want to keep the EGR delete you need a specalist map to suit. I believe @Dav-Tec would be your man for the job
Thanks. I should have been clearer. I started out choosing the EGR delete and the performance remap basically came free of charge at the same time. The DSG remap was an extra £100. I wasn't particularly looking for more power, but extra torque is always welcome. The remap was only done in December and it is winter so fuel economy is poorer than in warm weather, but as far as I can tell, it has improved by 1-2 mpg.

Back