Newbie Here...

vwski

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here so go easy please ;)

I'm considering getting a T6 SWB van (or T5 I guess) which I will mainly use everyday for work but then occasionally for personal use - DIY stores, dog walking, dump etc.

As far as costs are concerned, am I better off buying a panel van and then converting it to what I need or should I try and find something suitable 'off the shelf'?

It will be my first van and I've only ever driven one a few times in the past so I don't really want to buy new just incase a few months down the line I decide it's not for me.
I definitely want 5 seats and rear glass of some description as like I said this will also be used as my 'car' occasionally.
A nice interior with heated seats is a must. Not fussed about leather but maybe they all come with leather anyway???
The main reason to get a van is so I can purchase it through my company. Paying for a personal car in my current situation seems like I'm throwing money away. I have use of another car if that's what I need at times. The other alternative is for me to buy a fully electric car but that's a completely different story!
I will only really use it to transport clean goods. I'm pretty anal about keeping my vehicles clean.
The other use would be to transport my new puppy around :)

I don't necessarily have a budget in mind as ultimately my company will purchase/own it. I'm VAT registered so I guess that will help too.
I do however want it to look special and not like a normal panel van. It needs to be a good place to be if that makes sense.

I currently know absolutely nothing about these vans so any advice would be much appreciated. I've had a quick look online and there are so many variations that I don't know what I'm really looking at. What's the best engine, year, body kit etc. Any issues buying used? Do vans come up for sale on here?
I want something with as much power as possible - is there's such a thing?! My mileage is average at around 12-15k.

I've seen a few websites/companies that sell vans and also offer a conversion service at the same time. Are these any good or am I better off buying a van and organising the conversion myself if it needs it?

I'm based near Aylesbury (Beds, Herts & Bucks border) if people know of somewhere near me to go and look at anything.

I hope this post is in the right place...

Thank you so much in advance :)

D

Hi, welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you need a nice Kombi van. They have seats front and back, but leave plenty of room in the back for clean goods. The rear seats are usually removable too, so you can get loads in them when you need to.

As an example, I have a SWB Kombi and can get me, my wife, 2 kids and 4 mountain bikes in. Or the four of us, 2 dogs in a huge cage, 4 inflatable SUPs loads of other gear. I’ve used mine for timber in sheet firm and CLS etc.

A Kombi can be pretty luxurious if you want it to be, for example I have had the seats re-trimmed in leather, full sound proofing and insulation and carpeted. That makes it quite a nice place to be.

Engine wise, if I was looking to buy now I would go for a low mileage used 204ps TDI with DSG, but all the engines are pretty good.

There was a cracking example for sale on here, not sure if it’s still available, but here’s a link. It’s got a lot of nice factory options and a few aftermarket extras, it could be a good starting point.

For Sale - 2017 Dsg 204 Ps High Line Kombi

Sounds like wheat you’re after is a Kombi. I have a Kombi myself which is used in a similar way to how you say you will use it. Mine is my daily transport, i sold the car and only use the Kombi. I deliberately went for a factory Kombi rather than a conversion. There’s a few things which you don’t always get in a conversion, e.g. rear tailgate wiper. I also figured that if i convert to a camper later, the Kombi is a good base vehicle to start from. (Single captains seats, tailgate etc)
I was looking at 2-3 year old vehicles but ended up buying a dealer pre-registered one (2 months old but effectively brand new with 3 miles on the clock) for about the same price as a two year old van. I lucked out as the T6.1 had just been launched so stock of T6’s was reduced to get rid.
I opted for the 150HP 2.0D 6 speed model as it has a bit more poke than the 102HP engine. I also went for a HIGHLINE model to get a more car like set of standard options. Mine has a few extras on top as well.
Have a look on here and you’ll find old brochures which will give you an idea of the differences between models and standard options etc.
Converted Kombis and factory Kombis come up for sale pretty regularly.

Thank you both. Sounds like we're on the same page at least :)
I'm not the best at using forums and how to reply etc so please forgive me if I'm doing this wrong.
ChrisR, I actually found that van you mentioned and replied to his thread. fingers crossed.
D

Thank you both. Sounds like we're on the same page at least :)
I'm not the best at using forums and how to reply etc so please forgive me if I'm doing this wrong.
ChrisR, I actually found that van you mentioned and replied to his thread. fingers crossed.
D
No problem. That van is a great spec for the money.

Good luck in your search for the right van, it's a difficult task, sourcing the right one at the right price.
For me it would have to have LED headlights, or be £3000 cheaper so that I could have them fitted professionally. There is a huge amount of information on here, but a recurring theme is crap H4 headlights, avoid them if you can!

Update:
So I went to a VW dealership today to have a chat and a look but they didn't have anything onsite that suited my needs.
Apparently there are hundreds of T6's at port and hopefully tomorrow they will have a look for me. I'm still not sure about buying new so I've also asked them to search their used stock as well. Obviously they were giving me the hard sell for buying new - offering dealer contributions with free this & that etc - but I'll wait and see.
In the meantime I'll keep looking around for a used vehicle...

I've been looking around online at conversion companies that sell already converted vans and wondered if anyone had any advice or experience with them please?
Places I've seen online are: 'SK Conversions' / 'Van Haven' / 'Raceline' / 'Custom Vanz' / Leighton Vans...
Thank you :)

I bought my van from Van Haven. They were great throughout the process and built me exactly what I asked for, although it's changed a fair bit since! I thought their pricing was competitive compared to other companies offering a similar service. The quality of the work was good too. Olly and Toby are the fellas to speak to there.

I've been particularly impressed with their after sales service. They've replaced a dodgy door lock module and sorted some paintwork imperfections and corrosion without any hesitation at all. :thumbsup: Those issues were on a 4 year old van and came to light a couple of months or so after purchase from them.

I bought my van from Van Haven. They were great throughout the process and built me exactly what I asked for, although it's changed a fair bit since! I thought their pricing was competitive compared to other companies offering a similar service. The quality of the work was good too. Olly and Toby are the fellas to speak to there.

I've been particularly impressed with their after sales service. They've replaced a dodgy door lock module and sorted some paintwork imperfections and corrosion without any hesitation at all. :thumbsup: Those issues were on a 4 year old van and came to light a couple of months or so after purchase from them.

Thanks for your quick reply! Sounds very positive. So do Van Haven supply older vehicles then or do you have to supply your own if it's not new? I think I would rather buy a van completely finished from one supplier instead of passing it around to others for the conversion.
Do you have any photos / details of your van on this forum anywhere? I'd love to get some inspiration :)

Thanks for your quick reply! Sounds very positive. So do Van Haven supply older vehicles then or do you have to supply your own if it's not new? I think I would rather buy a van completely finished from one supplier instead of passing it around to others for the conversion.
Do you have any photos / details of your van on this forum anywhere? I'd love to get some inspiration :)

Much like some other places they'll supply a brand new van modded/converted to your specs, or supply a used van modded/converted to your specs. It all depends on your budget really, but they will do it all for you. I just told them what I wanted and what my budget was. A short wait later I got exactly what I asked for and I've been very pleased with it.

I have loads of photos of my van, but it's been a work in progress since I bought it from them! I've changed the suspension, wheels, grill and upgraded to LED headlights and tail lights. These are all things that they would have done when I bought the van, but I didn't really know exactly how I wanted it to look when I ordered it! I thought I did, but I didn't really.

I've not actually got any photos of the inside, but it's got their leather seats front and rear and their comfort pack of insulation, sound deadening, carpeting and lighting. It's not a bad place to sit, but I've got plans to change most of that too once funds allow! :rolleyes:

Their website has a "showroom" section of current stock which is kept pretty up to date and their new blue 6.1 running air suspension is the first 6.1 I've seen and thought actually looked OK.

I'm in no way anything to do with them by the way, just a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
I posted this in a thread from last year so wanted to try here too...

Are people on here buying T6 SWB Kombi's and putting them through their own companies? I'm a director of my own company and need a 'van' for work but also need to transport my crew & clients around at times. Surely this is allowed?
Does it make any difference on how much the vehicle has been modified? The reason I ask is that I don't want to be driving around in a crappy old panel van!
I have a certain image that I want to project and clients to impress. If I'm driving around all week in a van then it needs to be a nice place to be.
Any thoughts or advice people? Anyone been stung by HMRC or had direct dealings about this?
Cheers :)

Got to be careful here as you are a ltd company... that means no personal use... if you do then there is a risk of BIK,,, which would be thousands... If you do press on then you will need to get a t32 to hit the weight spec... Note you can't get a 4 motion.. you can on the new t6.1 as VW realised that it was falling foul of the weight carrying and so have adjusted.

Got to be careful here as you are a ltd company... that means no personal use... if you do then there is a risk of BIK,,, which would be thousands... If you do press on then you will need to get a t32 to hit the weight spec... Note you can't get a 4 motion.. you can on the new t6.1 as VW realised that it was falling foul of the weight carrying and so have adjusted.

thanks. What do you mean exactly about hitting weight spec and the fact I can’t get a 4motion? Cheers!

thanks. What do you mean exactly about hitting weight spec and the fact I can’t get a 4motion? Cheers!
I may get the tech bit / language wring but the jist is to be a commercial vehicle HMRC has stated that it needs to carry a tonne.. The T32 is the spec for this.. The Axles that carry all that weight allow that tonne to be carried.. When 4 motion is specced... the Extra driveshaft / diff adds weight to the van, therefore, taking away from what can be loaded.. The T6 4 motion allows a max load under a tonne.. Therefore no vat reclaim / our Biz use! I guess you could but it but the HMRC buggers can backdate as so the risk was too high for me. I did find a lovely 4 motion near Bath but my accountant warned against...

Back