New side bars - quality crap

Blindman

Blindman with a Van Vision
T6 Pro
IMG_4362.JPG Being a T5 fan and converting to T6 I am well pissed off with the quality of the new T6 side bars! Thinner grade steel which aren't even sealed at the ends so proned to weather corrosion and damage! I've got a set of the none light version which have been coated satin black, looking at them today I noticed that the drivers side was loose!! Looking at how to tighten it, the cowling has been prised down to get them in! Crap fit! Surely they should have designed for them? Just looks shabby! Any comments? Sorry about pic, looking at end of side bar.

Don't think so! But would need to test? Wonder if there are two types?

They should have trimmed slots in the plastic undertray underneath where the brackets come out, you can bend the plastic out to get the bolts in but it wont go back in place unless its trimmed/has slots cut in it

They are stainless steel. Happy with mine, seem fine no movement anyway. Yours look great the satin black @Blindman matches the rims well. I prefer them to the round bars myself.

Had mine fitted last week so time will tell.

Going back to the dealers tomorrow for the lights to be connected - apparently a bit more tricky if you have a comfort dash??

IMG_4376.JPG Just looked at my mates van who has just had them fitted at Droitwich and they have trimmed the undertray so they fit neatly.

Had mine fitted last week so time will tell.

Going back to the dealers tomorrow for the lights to be connected - apparently a bit more tricky if you have a comfort dash??
Sounds like a line to me..... they are plug and play from the interior light... the wires then go across the roof lining (there is a nice gap that they sit in very easily) down the A pillar and then under the step/carpet to appear under the seat. The dash has very little if anything to do with it. I am a DIY/car buffoon and I managed to do it myself. Eventually.

Didn't rate my OEM VW ones on my T5.1 Cali either; weak contact points, scratched really easily, a proper pain to clean.
Didn't bother on our T6.

Now you are talking :thumbsup: I think not :sick: Got put of them with all the complaints about how they rust plus cleaning would be a pain
I don't think they actually do much beyond look "good." Can't stand on them, they don't really protect the underside and they gather mud like nothing else.

Just because it's OEM doesn't mean it's right... :D

I want protection for that lower sill but don't want bars as it reduces the clearance, I was thinking of a very simple strip of stainless "L" section or better still Carbon fibre.

I want protection for that lower sill but don't want bars as it reduces the clearance, I was thinking of a very simple strip of stainless "L" section or better still Carbon fibre.
That would probably work better. I fitted some after the wife clipped a low wall but was a bit disappointed with them.
They don't work as rock sliders at all; too weak.

I had Southdown rock sliders on my discovery, it took 2 of us to lift them when bolting on :) don't want to use up all my useable Cali payload which it pitiful anyway...

Back