New Conversion

Gonesailing

My wife is quite unwell, and in an effort to spend better quality time with our young children, 6 and 3, we’ve decided to break the bank and treat ourselves to a LWB T6 conversion.

Looking at several conversion firms, but would appreciate any thoughts on things that are important, and what’s nonsense.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

This could be a very long list stimulating a huge amount of debate. Here are a couple of key things as far as our style of vanning is concerned (mainly wild camping or aires).

If you want to use it a lot I would definitely make sure you have a heater eg a diesel or gas depending on conversion as you do end up with chilly nights. If the kids sleep up top you might want an additional topper/cover for warmth.

Our solar panel really helps keep the leisure battery topped up (went 13 days in Spain/Portugal last month without EHU even with the heater on at night).

There are only two of us in the van so space is not an issue. With kids you might want to look at a drive away awning but can’t offer any advice on them.

They are few and far between but I would go for a high top. Warmer for the up-top sleepers, quieter at night, more storage room, ready to use the instant you pull up very handy with little ones needing 'urgent stops' etc.

As above get as many mod-cons as you can get just to make life more comfortable, heating, solar, fridge / freezer. movable rear seat but remember the need to fix child seats.

I'd love to offer you the one that I have for sale but it's only built as a two birth.

Rod

This could be a very long list stimulating a huge amount of debate. Here are a couple of key things as far as our style of vanning is concerned (mainly wild camping or aires).

If you want to use it a lot I would definitely make sure you have a heater eg a diesel or gas depending on conversion as you do end up with chilly nights. If the kids sleep up top you might want an additional topper/cover for warmth.

Our solar panel really helps keep the leisure battery topped up (went 13 days in Spain/Portugal last month without EHU even with the heater on at night).

There are only two of us in the van so space is not an issue. With kids you might want to look at a drive away awning but can’t offer any advice on them.

It’s my intention to be gas free, so diesel heater, hob and maybe hot water. Solar panel and substantial leisure battery are a must.

Sliding rear seat/bed is a must, so dogs and luggage can be loaded in with plenty of space and all behind the kids for safety!

They are few and far between but I would go for a high top. Warmer for the up-top sleepers, quieter at night, more storage room, ready to use the instant you pull up very handy with little ones needing 'urgent stops' etc.

As above get as many mod-cons as you can get just to make life more comfortable, heating, solar, fridge / freezer. movable rear seat but remember the need to fix child seats.

I'd love to offer you the one that I have for sale but it's only built as a two birth.

Rod
I understand your thinking, but I will have to use this for work/daily use, so keen to keep it lower than a high top. Extra insulation around the pop up is a good idea, thank you.

I understand your thinking, but I will have to use this for work/daily use, so keen to keep it lower than a high top. Extra insulation around the pop up is a good idea, thank you.
With Eberspacher heating my son sleeps comfortably in the pop top year round without additional insulation. Start without and buy a wrap later if you feel you need it

It’s my intention to be gas free, so diesel heater, hob and maybe hot water. Solar panel and substantial leisure battery are a must.

Sliding rear seat/bed is a must, so dogs and luggage can be loaded in with plenty of space and all behind the kids for safety!
Similar to us, our van is being converted as we speak and we have specced a Wallas diesel Hob/heater, Skyline roof with solar panel and scenic canvas, 110ah leisure battery under drivers seat to maximise storage available and a sliding RIB bed. Will invest in a pop top wrap if needed at a later date.

Similar to us, our van is being converted as we speak and we have specced a Wallas diesel Hob/heater, Skyline roof with solar panel and scenic canvas, 110ah leisure battery under drivers seat to maximise storage available and a sliding RIB bed. Will invest in a pop top wrap if needed at a later date.
Who is doing your conversion?

Why Wallas over the Webasto hob/heater?

I agree, so my question would be; would you sacrifice the kitchen for a bigger bed? Does something like a slide pod make more sense because very few people cook in their camper?

My preference would be either 130cm width bed or full width bed, with less cupboard space and a kitchen unit at the front. Something like this:

LWB Freerunner Campervan | Spacious Motorhome for sale

I know slidepods are popular and I'm not sure how they work but the thought of opening the boot everytime you want a cuppa didn't suit my needs, but it is all very specific to what suits you.
That’s my concern too! I’m wondering if you can have a low side kitchen unit with diesel hob, fridge and sink, but then have a long cushion to rest on the top to then create a full width flat bed!
Other option would seem to be a pod that can slide on the same rails as the bed/bench and leave large boot when everything is forward.

I've gone for a wallas too (in my LWB) for the space saving and single fuel concept and a built in heater. My bed is 130 wide and a Reimo, but not sure which model exactly.

3bridges say this about beds/seats..
"We recommend the RIB 1120 bed for its value for money, as its cheaper than the Reimo bed but still retains good safety standards with its pull tested certification. All our stock RIB beds come with Isofix, slider, built in armrests, memory foam and under chassis fixation bracket approved by Scopema.

For the LWB chassis and a large family, we recommend the Reimo Variotech 333 to fully utilise the sliding rail function. In the LWB chassis passengers are seated further back, so bringing the bed further forward on the rails not only maximises the load space but makes the vehicle more sociable."

Seems like a Kombi to Caravelle conversion will give the most flexibility, and then with a pop top, heater and slide pod, or similar, i'll have a comfy and practical camper, that can do loads of different jobs, rather than a one trick pony!

Back