Navis Chopper and Ludis - look awesome if your suspension is broken….

t6blo

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Love the look of the Chooper steelies and the new Ludis wheels from Navis.

But…

They (@Solow Suspension we know it’s you) seem intent on bringing out wheels that have a width and offset that works with air ride and ‘tucks’ right up into the arch - us mere mortals with static vans are left without :(

I don’t want to run a spacer so the fitment looks decidedly weak at 9” ET45 (Chopper) and 9” ET42 (Ludis)

Any chance of a staggered set with a decent offset to fill the arches please?

IMG_2747.jpeg

IMG_2746.jpeg

IMG_2745.jpeg

IMG_2744.jpeg

IMG_2743.jpeg

IMG_2742.jpeg

The fronts at ET42 and ET45 are spot on. Aired out or really low they pull in quite hard right at the bottom, so will fill the arches nicely when lifted up a bit or run on static suspension and they push out.

As with any wheel set the same width all round they do need a spacer on the rear for optimum looks, 15mm is ideal.

As there’s no concave on these there’s no real benefit from going staggered (if you could) and I prefer same width all round because you can run same tyres front and rear and keep the look the same.

Why rule out spacers?

My head has trouble getting round it - to me buying a new set of wheels means they should fit perfectly. I’ve had to add spacers to my Canteras because they are not designed for a Transporter.

Perhaps I’m just weird :whistle:
I think the same.

In fact I even asked THQ about a staggered set when they were releasing their Transporter fitment of the Rotiform STL and was told they wouldnt be doing it as development costs were too high. I also asked about buying thier version for the front and the normal Rotiform ones for the rear and was told that couldnt be done, I think part of their reason was the silver colour was different, but looking on their website I cant see the silver oneas at all now.

Premature wear n other parts of the suspension.
That just isn't something that needs considering. A 15mm spacer is really not much different to running a 10" wide rear with a different offset. If you're willing to run staggered wheels then running a spacer shouldn't be a worry.

That just isn't something that needs considering. A 15mm spacer is really not much different to running a 10" wide rear with a different offset. If you're willing to run staggered wheels then running a spacer shouldn't be a worry.
Thats not the whole story, its much more complicated that that. For 1 spacers will increase the distance from the wheel bearing increasing the moment on the wheel bearing therefore increasing wear.

Thats not the whole story, its much more complicated that that. For 1 spacers will increase the distance from the wheel bearing increasing the moment on the wheel bearing therefore increasing wear.
Thanks. I understand your point and the video linked, I was an aerospace engineer for almost 20 years designing and developing aircraft parts and complex mechanical assemblies. I have a decent understanding of such things.

Interestingly the most significant points he makes in the video relate to front wheels and we are discussing spacers on rear wheels, so only some of his points apply.

I understand the theory, but in reality there is very, very little difference. The chances of significantly reducing the life of a wheel bearing due to fitting 15mm spacers is negligible and isn’t worth worrying about.

If you choose to worry and therefore not fit spacers at the rear, fair enough, but you shouldn’t discourage others from doing so when the risks are so small.

Thanks. I understand your point and the video linked, I was an aerospace engineer for almost 20 years designing and developing aircraft parts and complex mechanical assemblies. I have a decent understanding of such things.

Interestingly the most significant points he makes in the video relate to front wheels and we are discussing spacers on rear wheels, so only some of his points apply.

I understand the theory, but in reality there is very, very little difference. The chances of significantly reducing the life of a wheel bearing due to fitting 15mm spacers is negligible and isn’t worth worrying about.

If you choose to worry and therefore not fit spacers at the rear, fair enough, but you shouldn’t discourage others from doing so when the risks are so small.
My post wasn't meant to mean you didn't know. If it came across that way then I apologise as I did not think that you did not have an understanding.

Agreed a lot of those are for front wheels, and this thread is about rear, but people do put spacers on both. I feel its better to know any disadvantages, no matter how small, then people can make their own informed decision.

I'd not even considered anything to do with wear.

I shouldn’t need to fit an additional part to something that is sold for the purpose.

Not to mention the inconvenience of trying to refit a heavy rear wheel on a hub that uses bolts rather than studs with a spacer flapping about :rolleyes:

I'd not even considered anything to do with wear.

I shouldn’t need to fit an additional part to something that is sold for the purpose.

Not to mention the inconvenience of trying to refit a heavy rear wheel on a hub that uses bolts rather than studs with a spacer flapping about :rolleyes:
One or two of these makes fitting wheels much easier, with or without spacers, but especially with.

I've run spacers for years on cars and not noticed any discernible increase on other components.

This is 9in et45 with 15mm spacers on the rear for 9in wheels and 265/40/20 tyres. Sits spot on IMO.

20220313_101616.jpg.57fe773ed5a1801a59d29253a56244fe.jpg

I’ve ran spacers front and rear with no issues, just need a 15mm rear with the Navis wheels.

That tool looks handy, order placed!

PS you don’t need to run spacers the Navis wheels fit fine but a 15mm rear improves the look IMO

I think the most important thing about spacers is to get a good quality pair, hubcentric obviously. Being 15mm they're generally not available as bolt on versions as they're not deep enough so good bolt through ones and matching high strength bolts are essential. I got a set from PCD which are excellent quality.

Back