N/S/R wheel locked on my 4Mo

Thoughts? OK......
You, @Loz and I all thought diff lock engaged, (and two of us hadn't even seen the van!)
I think the technician doesn't understand how the 4motion and differential lock works.
But I'm glad you've got it sorted and it's saved you having a Haldex service for a while!
Haldex and DSG were done in December :rolleyes:

Only locked one wheel whichever way I turned to go out my driveway, I have an S shaped drive.

Just heard from VW

New Haldex required, there is swarf in the diff !!
Just read through this thread and can't see how swarf can be caused by faulty solenoid unless it's done some damage and that would be in the axle not the Haldex. I'm amazed a VW technician would think the Haldex could lock a back wheel.

Just read through this thread and can't see how swarf can be caused by faulty solenoid unless it's done some damage and that would be in the axle not the Haldex. I'm amazed a VW technician would think the Haldex could lock a back wheel.
Interpretation ?
Maybe I've not written clearly enough ?
If the solenoid has activated the diff on a dry tar road and it is grinding the gears when it should be turning freely.........

Interpretation ?
If the solenoid has activated the diff on a dry tar road and it is grinding the gears when it should be turning freely.........
more likely got chewed a bit trying to engage the pin whilst travelling.. once engaged it's just locked across the axel hence the wheel skipping.

Last edited:
From the
Thoughts? OK......
You, @Loz and I all thought diff lock engaged, (and two of us hadn't even seen the van!)
I think the technician doesn't understand how the 4motion and differential lock works.
But I'm glad you've got it sorted and it's saved you having a Haldex service for a while!
From the sound of this farce as well as my own experiences, I think it would be fair to assume that most VW technicians would have a job on understanding how a knife and fork works never mind the intricacies of 4 motion.

From the

From the sound of this farce as well as my own experiences, I think it would be fair to assume that most VW technicians would have a job on understanding how a knife and fork works never mind the intricacies of 4 motion.
It could have been worse, they could have put a "Sanitised" sticker on @BeePee 's van door...........
One that ruins the paint!

It could have been worse, they could have put a "Sanitised" sticker on @BeePee 's van door...........
One that ruins the paint!
I'm walking through the car park and see wee Jimmy splooshing watery soap all over my Kombi with what looks like a sponge from 1979 "HOI !"
Now at reception, hi sir they're just washing your van, "TELL HIM TO STOP IMMEDIATELY !!!!!! ffs !"

Interpretation ?

more likely got chewed a bit trying to engage the pin whilst travelling.. one engaged it's just locked across the axel hence the wheel skipping.
Exactly! nothing to do with the Haldex.

Update, been running great but at the back of my mind is the nagging thought of what if.........According to VW to keep my warranty on the drivetrain I needed to change wheels, so here they are.

On a side note, I know of another 4motion that has just had a warranty refusal for a replacement engine 68 reg in warranty, they said the sump plug was fitted incorrectly and has leaked all of the oil out, no oil leak anywhere to be seen, nothing on the driveway, no oil light came on and didn't seize ! Just a loss of power and limp mode ! WTF are they thinking ?

OZ Racing Rally Raid

18x8.5 with 235x50x18 tyres, I like it, I like it a lot

20210630-121835.jpg

20210630_124149.jpg

20210630_195059.jpg

Quote Reply
Report Edit

Reactions: Loz
OK, HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!!

Thursday last week, I was doing about 60mph officer, a dip in the road and my difflock light flickered !
It then stayed on briefly for about 5 mins and went off.

Friday morning I left as usual to work and had to return because the difflock was fully engaged, a bit of investigation revealed one of the vacum hoses was broken off the activating switch above the diff.
I'm guessing one of the techs that repaired it last year hasn't located the air hoses properly causing the fracture and failure of the part.
The new one has been installed today but a new fault has flagged up, one of the activating valves to engage and disengage the difflock is faulty, it is being replaced tomorrow.

I've driven vans for millions of miles with work over the years, my last van was a MB Vito that did 220,000 miles in 4.5 years, before it had done 10,000 miles it had a new EGR and never gave me another issue.

This VW was my dream van, I used to see them on the road and think, one day I'm going to buy a Kombi, I went further than that and bought the highest spec Leighton Van Kombi you can get and it's the WORST van I've ever had, it is also the ONLY VW I've ever owned, absolute JUNK and I've spent a fortune adding to it, MFSW with paddle shift, CRS Koni suspension, the wheel scenario you can read about earlier in this thread, Ovano bed and drawer system.

Just before xmas it had a whole load of inlet manifold, nox sensor and who knows what else to do with the injection system replaced, I even had it on a rolling road for a remap and to check what the power output was to see why it regen'd about 6 times a day, and no, it isn't running about driving miss Daisy.

No idea what to do with it next, visit Darkside Developments and get all the DPF & EGR delete done and a full check over of the system ?
It's not even done 60k yet and is 3.5 years old, no expense spared with servicing and is always a full service not just oil & filter.

A bit of a rant but hopefully you understand.

One of the vacum hose connections has snapped the nipple off the actuator? at the rear diff, which has caused the diff to lock, removed and replaced with a new one and now found a faulty vacum valve at the front which sends the signal after pushing the dash button diff lock. £457 later I've done 960 miles this weekend so a good test and so far so good.

Side note, we are wondering if the fantabulous senior technician at VW has been a bit lazy with securing and tidying the air pipes and wiring after last years Haldex disaster.
It looks like there has been flex on the air pipe stressing the plastic nozzle where it plugs in to.

Back