My neighbour is an ass

Deaky

Life’s too short to drink shite beer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
My lad has recently passed his test so we need more space on the drive. We decided to tarmac some of the grass on one side of our drive, on the other side, between my drive and my neighbours drive was a hedge. I know the hedge is all on our side because the people who used to live there dug it out on their side and put gravel in place of it to make their drive wider. New neighbour subsequently dug all this out and made his drive wider.

So to keep the peace, I tell the new neighbour of our intentions to dig out the hedge on our side, lay a row of bricks about 6" in to my side from our central dividing fence, and tarmac up to them. Then put a low fence in to replace the hedge coming from the dividing fence (which I'm responsible for).

I checked with him if he wanted any hedge leaving in (knowing full well there wasn't any on his side) but he asked me to get rid of it all.

Here is the result

IMG_5365.jpg

Got home from work today an he's had 5 fence panels delivered and a load of concrete posts. I don't know where he's gonna fit them but it had better not be on my side. I'm responsible for the fence between our gardens so its fair to assume that this fence is fitted on my side upto the boundary between us. This means the boundary runs just to the left of the tree.

Why the f*** would you order a new fence when he knows I'm having one put in????

Mate, I certainly don't envy any potential disputes, they can consume your life! I'm a pretty easy going guy, and not a huge fan of confrontation with neighbours or friends, so I end to let things slide quite a bit, but boy do certain things get on my nerves, and parking disputes/boundaries can be one of them.

I would of forgot about the paver sets to divide
& run Concrete posts with gravel board & panel down your boundaries & tarmac up to gravel board
He’s going to make a reet mess digging posts in know even if in right position & looks like he will have to look out for those drains
Good luck with it

Have a look at your deeds they should show the boundary and who's responsibility it is . Worth a look and good luck .

Have a look at your deeds they should show the boundary and who's responsibility it is . Worth a look and good luck .

Having been in this situation.. LR and deeds have a 4m discrepancy that doesnt help.. date-able photo graphic evidence is always a winner in these disputes..
And in my experience.. general solicitor know nothing on these matters, seek correct advice from land surverys and solicitors in this field.

Having been in this situation.. LR and deeds have a 4m discrepancy that doesnt help.. date-able photo graphic evidence is always a winner in these disputes..
And in my experience.. general solicitor know nothing on these matters, seek correct advice from land surverys and solicitors in this field.
Only Land Surveyors, been there and worn the hat, take photographs now before anything starts to prove your boundary including marking out with bright green chalkline in the photographs.
I would be a stay at home person on the day that was due to start, not funny sleepless nights

I have done several boundary dispute surveys, all we can do it produce an accurate survey of existing boundaries and building outlines and overlay onto your deed plan. Like @Fish says, Land Registry plans aren't the most accurate 2-4m. The only winners in a boundary dispute are the solicitors.

Sometimes boundaries just dont make sense with respect to their poisitioning..

........and don't forget a drawn line on a plan, when scaled up could be a metre or more wide - not useful.
Fortunately in my patch I know an expert to whom I refer all this type of work!

........and don't forget a drawn line on a plan, when scaled up could be a metre or more wide - not useful.
Fortunately in my patch I know an expert to whom I refer all this type of work!

I quite agree in the past I’ve had Land Surveyors carry out surveys and it can still be a right bugger, nothing to do with the surveys but your opposing side continually arguing.
That is why I always photograph before anything happens and mark out what has always been on (my)land

I went and spoke to him last night. I think he was under the impression that the existing fence is his, which it isn't. We've been out this morning and I've been the bigger man and allowed him to put his fence in line with our existing fence. We're only staying in the house for a couple of more years when my lads have finished uni and in reality, although it's not the fence we had in mind he's saved me at least £500 which I can now spend on my van.

Life is too short to be paying solicitors etc, plus neighbour disputes have to be disclosed when selling so it's probably for the best. He's still a short arsed little Hitler though and I wouldn't p!$$ on him if he was on fire. At least we're still amicable.

I find it bizarre that he didn't come and discuss this with you when you had been and discussed your plans with him. I had a dispute over a boundary once and ended up getting hit with my own scale rule! I actually ended up with more land in the end as the idiot took it further than a neighbourly discussion and had to give me a corner of his garden in addition to the bit we were disputing!

Having been involved with a "toe-rag jobs worth" involving a fence line last year...
may i suggest a good idea?

Look on google earth and zoom in as close as you can get of your house and neighbours ...
take a screen shot ......print and add date/time.
Store with you records/deeds.

Its quite a good reference point should a future dispute happen.
Obviously not hugely legal, but still a good recall and/or historical reference point.
:p

Well my neighbor owned the fence on one side of our property and I told him I was putting up a new fence because of our dogs, he as fine as it was in his interest. So if your next door wants to put a fence up let him as long as it does not encroach on your property then that is in your interest, saves you having to put one-up

Back