My interior light has extra connections

Carp catcher

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have been trying to install a new W8 interior light, the one which illuminates the dash.
Anyway, all was going fine until I removed the original light (this one has a fault on it).
What I found when I removed it was a red & black cable cable soldered to either side of the interior bulb holder. This feeds the halo lighting in the back.
The new light has a printed circuit on the back ( not as the original one).
Does anyone have a solution as to where I connect the red & black on the new light.
I have been speaking to Saxoboy, who has been more than helpful with suggestions. He has suggested that I fit the controllers from a remote set up. Before i go down that route, I just thought I would ask the forum for any ideas

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

I would hazard a guess at nowhere on the new one as it appears to be for LED bulbs rather than the filament ones on the original. The circuit tracks do not look robust enough for the size/current of that cable ( which looks like single core household wiring cable rather than flexible to me, might just be the solder though).

The new one has filament bulbs in it as supplied, which I have changed to LED bulbs.
I am thinking that unless anyone else has a suggestion, I will put the original light back, & ask an auto electrician to have a look at it.
There must be another way to power the rear halo lights on the interior lighting circuit.
In the meantime, I may buy the kit which Saxoboy suggested & have a look at that. It is relatively cheap

Whatever you do you want to sort out that cable if it is single core - it is unsuitable for automotive use. I see so many bodges like that on heaters that I repair.

@oldiebut goodie, just been out & checked the cables, they are a multi core cable, it's the solder on them that gives the single core appearance.
I think I will put it back together with the original light, & take 5.
I will speak to an auto electrician in the week & look at buying the remote kit.
Thanks for showing interest

Back