Multi vehicle insurance

Hi does anyone know of any multi vehicle insurance companies? I have a car and a vw transporter which has been converted but still registered as a van. It won't fit the campervan classification with the DVLA due to pop up elevating roof.

I have a car and a vw transporter which has been converted but still registered as a van. It won't fit the campervan classification with the DVLA due to pop up elevating roof.
The DVLA 'body type' has no bearing on whether its a camper van or not and vehicle types are determined by the Road Traffic Act, not by the DVLA:

motorcaravan.jpg

The DVLA 'body type' merely describes how the van looks in traffic and has no bearing on insurance.

Regarding multi-vehicle insurance, personally I avoid them like the plague ;)
I've run bikes since I was 16, never ever had a claim (TW) and for decades had full no-claims on five bike
policies, some allowing 14 years NCB which is a huge saving.
At the Motorcycle Show I was persuaded by Carole Nash to go Multi-Bike, as their offer
was significantly less that the total of my individual policies, even though they were all full NCB.
I stayed with them for 2 years and on the third year they hiked the price massively.
I thought, no problem, I'll go back to individual policies. Every insurer I tried said the same,
"Sorry your no-claims is just over two years old, so is invalid. We can use the Carol Nash NCB on one bike,
the others will be zero no claims."

I lost four lots of fourteen year NCB's through that multibike, it cost me a mint.
Think twice ;)
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
A number of the insurance companies I have looked at so far ask you to confirm that the vehicle is registered with the DVLA as a camper, otherwise invalidated insurance. Mine is still registered as a light van

But the DVLA dont register whether its a campervan or not, all they register is what it looks like in traffic.
It sounds like your insurance companies aren't keeping up with recent changes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back