Mounting leisure led lights in the Shuttle.

DaveCrampton

2017 Shuttle SE.
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have a 2017 Shuttle SE. I'm adding six thin LED lights off a leisure battery for nicer, more flexible lighting when sleeping in the van.

I don't want to cut round holes in the roof liner, like some I have seen. I was wondering how to mount the lights up high with out having to cut and permanently alter the interior. But today I was watching a YouTube clip showing the roof grab handles being removed to remove the roof liner for recovering. The grab handles left two threaded holes exposed, which got me thinking. I can make a light board for both sides of the van which can be fixed in using these mounts.

So I'm going to design and build a long board, covered in lining carpet to secure using these mounts. The lights will be mounted in this board with power routed up the B pillar.

Has anyone done this before. I know roughly what I need to do, but looking at other's designs is always useful.

Thanks, Dave C

Ok still a Work In Progress, but I finally got round to fitting a few lights. There are threaded holes in the inner skin to fix the hand grabs, so I used those to mount a ply strip. It's not quite finished yet, but the lights are (roughly) in and soldered to long leads to my leisure battery under the rear bench. I managed to tuck the wiring behind the panels. They were not difficult to prize open.
Next job is to find an off cut of stretchy carpet to fix to the board, after widening the holes to allow the lights to fully fit into the holes I drilled.
Eventually I'll get round to fitting the battery under the driver's seat along with my diesel heater. Just need to pick up a set of ramps first.

IMG_20220619_155042.jpg

IMG_20220619_153221.jpgIMG_20220619_153325.jpgIMG_20220619_154349.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Back