Mountain Bike Helmet Torch

Andrew keen

T6 Pro
right..
After many years away from biking I am getting back on it!
Unfortunately I had a great light (rifle torch) which I used for night mtb which, during a House move, I have lost!
So does anyone have any recommendations (without breaking the bank!!)
Thanks as all ways!

Definitely recommend. I use mine for all sorts and carry one in the van for camping etc. They don't last as long as the likes of exposure and hope lights but can't fault them otherwise. They have different power settings as well if you need to make it last longer to get back. I run both full power on descents then switch the head one off and the bar one down to medium for climbs. That way you know you've got some in reserve when one dies. Have had mine for a good few years and still running the same rechargeable batteries.

I use the exposure axis which is great as a head torch, I think Evans Cycles have some offers on at the moment on exposure, they last forever and come with a good guarantee

I use an Exposure Diablo on my head and currently an old Luminator on the bar. Will be changing the bar light to an Exposure Maxx D when the prices drop in spring.

You need to take the lumens claim on the Chinese lights with a pinch of salt. For example Exposure claim 1750 lumens from 3 x Cree LEDs, so it’s difficult to understand how the Chinese lights could pump out 2200 lumens with just one Cree LED! Also the Non branded lights can have a pretty erratic beam spread so less useful than a lower powered one but with a good consistent beam. Some of the Chinese light can spontaneously catch fire when charging - there have been a number of stories on STW. I’m not saying don’t go for Chinese lights as are are good value and I have used one for a few years, but just beware of the downsides

How much you spend depends on the difficulty of the trails you ride, but I would suggest spending at least £100 for Chinese jobs or somewhat more for brands like Exposure

Sorry, I should explain, when I said "we use these" I meant we use these on a daily basis, our family business is a large boarding kennels and in winter we work many hours outside after dark. For nearly three years we've been using eight of the £14 lamps and they've been perfectly reliable, if a little heavy. They're well made with a turned aluminium (heatsink) case. We also use the same lamps for trail riding, the beam is uniformly spread and we find them perfectly ok for fast downhill rides, one on the helmet and one on the bars. The batteries are a 2S2P pack of ordinary 18650 lithiums as used in many, many other rechargeable devices, and during the 3 years I've had to replace two of the eight packs, I simply make up a new pack from loose 18650 cells, and re-use the old connector lead.. All lithiums should be charged with care, its not that long since Samsung and Apple phones were catching fire. I wouldnt take much notice of any lumens claim as its a difficult parameter to measure
wink.gif

Sorry I wasnt intending to mislead with the cheap lights, I can only report what we've found as £150 for a torch is way beyond our budget
afro.gif

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Back